Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

K-9 wrote: »
    Well we got the result you thought we couldn't get at half time. Personally I had my doubts too but knowing Sturridge would come on swung it for me. If I was proved wrong like that I'd be chuffed but each to their own, if you're just a glass half empty fella not much point going on with this.

I'm chuffed to be wrong

another point - assuming sturridge does start from now on, we don't necessarily have to drop one of coutinho, sterling or suarez

we could drop one of lucas, gerrard and henderson, possibly even two of them if allen comes back

could be something like

gerrard allen

sterling coutinho suarez

sturridge

looking at that though, allen would have to get through an absolute mountain of work

1493161_10153695060830717_1899481836_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Best liverpool midfielder today by a country mile he will be in a wheelchair and still contribute more than Lucas a class act today from start to finish

He was in me bollix.

Charlie Adam was a thousand times more effective.

Gerrard has turned into a lazy bastard and is only interested in Hollywood balls and scratching his own when it comes to tracking back and doing some work.

If he's going to be the deep lying midfielder for the remainder of the season then we can kiss top four goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hate to break it to ya Charlie Adam no longer plays for liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Hate to break it to ya Charlie Adam no longer plays for liverpool

Thank fcuk for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Super-Rush wrote: »
    He was in me bollix.

Gerrard has turned into a lazy bastard and is only interested in Hollywood balls and scratching his own when it comes to tracking back and doing some work.

If he's going to be the deep lying midfielder for the remainder of the season then we can kiss top four goodbye.

Nonsense - Gerrard was excellent for 25-30 mins. Tracking back, making tackles and trying to make something happen. How anyone who actually watched the match could accuse him of being lazy during that period is beyond me.

At this stage he tends to fade badly - over to you Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we seen again today the difference that Allen can make to our midfield.

Two from Allen/Henderson rather than two from Lucas/Gerrard will make our midfield much more balanced imo.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard, Allen & Henderson being first choice eventually (assuming we don't buy someone else).

Gerrard is the least of liverpool a problems
    Coutinho after having 5/6 stinkers
    Johnson having a nightmare of a season
    Central defence leaking goals everywhere
    Left full a problem since Enrique / Flanagan injury
    But forget all that it's gerrards lack of running that's the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's the story behind Suarez's celebration?

Johnson is without a doubt the biggest problem with the team right now imo

He offers nothing at the minute. Hope Kelly gets a chance against Villa

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »

I don't know but I like it.

Johnson is without a doubt the biggest problem with the team right now imo

He offers nothing at the minute. Hope Kelly gets a chance against Villa

Cissohko is a bigger problem IMO but I agree Kelly needs to play regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'He celebrates how he wants'

Allen spends most of his time out injured which is unfortunate as he was playing well before his latest setback.

A quality midfielder would be seriously welcomed in the next few weeks. Could be the difference in top 4 or that other cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

that was a massive 3points today also great to see sturidge back in action

I only saw the 2nd half today but thought gerrard was very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

From now until the end of the season every game is a big game.

Originally Posted by Kerrigooney
    Nevermind a cold,wet and windy afternoon in Stoke,it's a cold,wet and windy afternoon in the NW of Ireland and I have to leave my lovely warm house to go out in it to the pub to watch this.

It'll probably be awful and I'll spend the rest of the night on here whinging like a bitch so I'm just warning ye.

1-1 and much whinging to follow....

Kerrigooney !!!

Hope you enjoyed that my son :D LoL

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Taunting Mansfield fans by using both arms this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

5starpool wrote: »

That's the actions of a cheat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Why all the criticism of Gerrard? He was by no means our worst player. Although he did give the ball away a few times he did try to get the ball back too. He put in a shift worthy of a captain. He got some decent blocks and tackles in. He even scored. Yeah it was a penalty but he still tucked it away. He's played 650 times for Liverpool, maybe his critics should cut him some slack!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Super-Rush wrote: »
    He was in me bollix.

At this stage it's time use him less . I wish Allen wasn't injured because you could see a more effective midfield . Oh and I don't know how anyone can slate Lucas he is carrying gerrards lack of movement on the pitch at times . Lucas looked very good when gerrard wasn't in the team . When gerrard plays Lucas has to do double the running .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

The one thing i want to see next week is Johnson dropped to try get him out of this slump, tis painful watching him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

T-K-O wrote: »
    Nonsense - Gerrard was excellent for 25-30 mins. Tracking back, making tackles and trying to make something happen. How anyone who actually watched the match could accuse him of being lazy during that period is beyond me.

At this stage he tends to fade badly - over to you Brendan

We need players excellent for 90-95 minutes not 25-30 minutes thats ok if Gerrard is coming off the bench for the last 30 mintues.

ManOnFire wrote: »
    The one thing i want to see next week is Johnson dropped to try get him out of this slump, tis painful watching him

I agree , I think it's time he got his head in the game or we get rid of him in the summer .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In small defence of Johnson, I think that he is being asked to do different things throughout the match.
    In this game, for the first 20 minutes, he was making his normal overlap, but then cut inside to be a centre forward.
    Then, it looks like he went to wing back.
    Then strictly not allowed to go forward and let Sterling do all the running.

He's been chopped and changed positionally throughout a game, which cant be an easy task......at least I hope he is being instructed to do this, otherwise the chicken has lost its head.

He looks like he s overconfident in what he is doing, and gives off a 'so what' impression if things don't go right for him.

5starpool wrote: »

That's the 22nd time this season he's taunted them.

Poor Mansfield :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Why all the criticism of Gerrard? He was by no means our worst player. Although he did give the ball away a few times he did try to get the ball back too. He put in a shift worthy of a captain. He got some decent blocks and tackles in. He even scored. Yeah it was a penalty but he still tucked it away. He's played 650 times for Liverpool, maybe his critics should cut him some slack!!

Because it's fashionable, seems to be the same few ready to have a dig at any given (or not ) opportunity.

Because it's fashionable, seems to be the same few ready to have a dig at any given (or not ) opportunity.

It's not fashionable there is a lot of truth in what people are saying . It's times to use him less so we can get more . He is fading very badly at times and inviting pressure on the team over this . Look at when he was injured out midfield looked more comfortable because they weren't to worries on him fading out of the game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I also think the incessant criticism of him here is unwarranted.

He's getting older and therefore his role is changing.

Thought he was fine today but will need time to adapt to this new role.

Calls for him to be dropped are underrating him to be honest

I'll all for replacing Gerrard when we get a better player.

We just haven't got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

we are greatest football team, all other teams play like little girls

We need players excellent for 90-95 minutes not 25-30 minutes thats ok if Gerrard is coming off the bench for the last 30 mintues.

That's a completely different and valid argument.

Our defense certainly isn't one for the ages, but is this attack potentially the best Liverpool have ever had?

51 goals in 21 games this season, that's 2.48 goals a game. Even the great teams of the 70s and 80s weren't scoring at that rate.

The biggest joke is gerrard getting criticised for hendersons not being able to express himself when Stevie plays
    Henderson should be able to play regardless who lines out along side him
    He has been brilliant all season but today he was like a headless chicken gave away the ball for stokes second goal aswell

The biggest joke is gerrard getting criticised for hendersons not being able to express himself when Stevie plays
    Henderson should be able to okay regardless who lines out along side him
    He has been brilliant all season but today he was like a headless chicken gave away the ball for stokes second goal aswell

In fairness, the passing today was atrocious from 1-11

Henderson should be able to okay regardless who lines out along side him

Yep, this is tres amusant! It sort of shows the lengths people will go to have a go at Stevie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

murpho999 wrote: »

What does he do that makes him undroppable?

murpho999 wrote: »

This isn't the time for him to be learning a new role though, especially if it costs us a top 4 place...and is it even worthwhile adapting to a new role for a year or two when we would probably get a greater return if he was used for select games or as an impact sub?

I don't think criticisms are underrating him, as has been said Lucas does twice the running in games alongside him and looks unfit. He can play a long pass like few other but is it worth it when 4/5 don't come off. His assists look impressive but they mainly come from set pieces and we were just as impressive from them while he was out. He doesn't even seem to drive the team on as captain anymore...I don't think highlighting this takes away from anything he has achieved, he and a lot of his fans just need to realise that time is catching up with him.

For someone to say that it is fashionable to criticise him after valid reasons for doing so have been listed is playground stuff though.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This isn't the time for him to be learning a new role though, especially if it costs us a top 4 place...and is it even worthwhile adapting to a new role for a year or two when we would probably get a greater return if he was used for select games or as an impact sub?

I don't think criticisms are underrating him, as has been said Lucas does twice the running in games alongside him and looks unfit. He can play a long pass like few other but is it worth it when 4/5 don't come off. His assists look impressive but they mainly come from set pieces and we were just as impressive from them while he was out. He doesn't even seem to drive the team on as captain anymore...I don't think highlighting this takes away from anything he has achieved, he and a lot of his fans just need to realise that time is catching up with him.

For someone to say that it is fashionable to criticise him after valid reasons for doing so have been listed is playground stuff though.

I'd imagine it was the manager's call. No harm in trying it tbh as defensive midfield has been weak this season.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was the manager's call. No harm in trying it tbh as defensive midfield has been weak this season.

Surely the transfer window presents a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Knex. wrote: »
    Clean sheets are overrated anyway...

said Linda...

• Advertisement

What does he do that makes him undroppable?

A quick look at the today's bench and Moses and Alberto are the guys that Gerrard might be dropped for. No chance of that happening.

I think that's the reason. There's nothing better in the squad. Same can be said for Lucas recently tbf.

Henderson for me has earned his strting spot and has been our most consistant starter.

'The Turd' that was I that said it was fashionable. Yourself and a couple of others have flogged the point to death though that's what I don't like, I agree he is not what he was, he can be eased out in the next couple of years, he can be rotated in the current squad, that's my opinion but I won't bore you all by repeating that week after week after week all with petty digs about him being lazy, can't be arsed, selfish etc etc etc.

So, I think it's clear as day where you stand on the Gerrard debate yeah? Any chance that you could leave it at that and not regurgitate it every week? That's all I ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Defence is a shambles, centre midfield not much better but my god the attacking part of our game is outstanding. If we can keep sturridge and suarez fit skys the limit for the rest of the season. With those 2 we can beat anyone.

If we sign one player in the window for cm I will be happy. M'vila would do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Blondie919 wrote: »

Gerrard has basically recieved criticism after every game he was below par{or not even} for as long as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Surely the transfer window presents a better option.

Of course. So did the last window though and the one before that.

I actually don't think Rodgers has any thoughts about dropping Gerrard at all this season and maybe not next. I reckon Lucas will the 1st one dropped if anyone comes in.

Were we ever in for him?

'The Turd' that was I that said it was fashionable. Yourself and a couple of others have flogged the point to death though that's what I don't like, I agree he is not what he was, he can be eased out in the next couple of years, he can be rotated in the current squad, that's my opinion but I won't bore you all by repeating that week after week after week all with petty digs about him being lazy, can't be arsed, selfish etc etc etc.

So, I think it's clear as day where you stand on the Gerrard debate yeah? Any chance that you could leave it at that and not regurgitate it every week? That's all I ask

I don't think you're even clear where you stand...maybe myself and a few other posters should reiterate our stances a few times to clear it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Were we ever in for him?

Who knows but I certainly wouldn't be taking the Mirror or caughtoffside as gospel.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cast iron source.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement