Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Lidl for Swords.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well Cllr. Butler is a bit confused or confusing I think
    Local councillor, Darragh Butler (FF), told the County Leader that he is inundated with complaints from locals in the area, who have very genuine concerns about the planned development going ahead.
    and
    “I have been approached by residents from Dublin Road, as well as from Carlton Court, who feel that the siting of a Lidl supermarket so close to them, will only add to the already chronic traffic problems on Dublin Road. They maintain that it is extremely difficult to get in and out of Carlton Court as things stand, but it will be impossible if the Lidl outlet goes ahead,” he said. The residents also maintain that this is an already busy road with regular traffic tailbacks, a school, a petrol station. and is just off the very busy Pinnock Hill roundabout. They maintain that the fact that four existing houses and associated buildings are being demolished to make room for this store and the 94 car parking spaces, suggests that this is a more residential area, and unsuitable for such a venture.”

or is it
    Butler however, welcomes the creation of new jobs in the area and the increased commercial activity in the town. He also welcomed the planning application for a new Aldi shop at Rivervalley Shopping Centre.

Maybe instead of standing beside the Planning Notice, the photo should be of him sitting on a fence.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can see that any more traffic on the Dublin Road might be a problem, although there are plenty of houses near the other Lidl too.

I prefer Aldi myself, and am excited at the thought of one opening in Rivervalley where I live! There's plenty of space for it and I think it would be brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Notus

I prefer Aldi myself, and am excited at the thought of one opening in Rivervalley where I live! There's plenty of space for it and I think it would be brilliant :)

Im excited about this too, saves a trip to Santry when I want real value. Lidl is expensive lately and understocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Understocking is Lidl's biggest problem. Aldi is far superior. Wish the one in Balbriggan was built but only for greedy Fingal Councillors

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah I tend to go to Ashbourne for their Aldi. Swords Lidl is a nightmare unless you go at 8am. Since they reduced their parking spaces it's nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

martinn123 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of standing beside the Planning Notice, the photo should be of him sitting on a fence.:D
    He could also check his facts. The opening of supermarket chain outlets COSTS jobs, it doesn't create them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why aren't these retailers pushed out of town? Or even into town! Stick a Lidl into savages, bring some life back to main street.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why aren't these retailers pushed out of town? Or even into town! Stick a Lidl into savages, bring some life back to main street.
    Its a great ideas but there is no footfall on the Dublin street, FCC made a complete balls of it, all the decent parking was used for their own staff and the rest can go jump, it makes the main street next to useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Notus wrote: »
    Its a great ideas but there is no footfall on the Dublin street, FCC made a complete balls of it, all the decent parking was used for their own staff and the rest can go jump, it makes the main street next to useless.

Completely agree, you really need good parking for an aldi/lidl due to the bulk nature of what people buy.
    I think if FCC were a bit more flexible with rates etc they could encourage retailers back to the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Notus wrote: »

Rubbish. They've 2 car parks - one c/o Seatown and North and the other further out on Seatown just off the roundabout.

Plenty of parking on Foster's Way @ €1/h or €5/24h. There are always ample parking available there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Rubbish. They've 2 car parks - one c/o Seatown and North and the other further out on Seatown just off the roundabout.

Plenty of parking on Foster's Way @ €1/h or €5/24h. There are always ample parking available there.

You're right about the Fingal CoCo workers but I don't think €1 for up to an hour is reasonable in Swords. Compared to other Lidl/supermarkets, the parking is free (JCs/Tesco Express/Eurospar) or free for 2 hours (Pavilions).

The main street is dead for the past couple of years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Paid parking is not foot fall, FCC only care about their own. The main street of Swords has been destroyed by the idiots in FCC. Not one person in or from Swords would agree that there is any chance of re igniting the main street as a viable commercial entity; mainly due to the lack of foot fall! you want to ask any of the businesses in and around the main street about the 24 hour paid parking? The only business booming on swords main street is the clampers.

You are ranting.

Please explain to me how FCC destroyed the main street in Swords?

You are ranting.

Please explain to me how FCC destroyed the main street in Swords?

You don't really seem to grasp how trade works? To simplify it for you; why would anyone stop for the Indo or a carton of milk if they had to pay €1 for parking on a back street?
    Consumers like easy access to a trading operation for small passing purchases, FCC have made no attempt to make the main street easily accessible for consumers, but it sure made their offices easily accessible with free parking for their own, at the taxpayers expense. Let their staff pay parking and then see how quickly they re think that bright spark idea, no rant just pointing out the difference between their approach to trade on the main street and keeping their own staff from the daily difficulties everyone else who needs or wants to use the main street in Sword has to go through.

Read the thread from my original post replying to Mug Mugs and stop getting insulted for poor old FCC, basically if the idea was to allow passing trade access to the main street then they made a balls of it but if it was to make it a ghost town and increase trade to the pavilions then they done a great job,

You seem to confuse footfall with free parking.

Let's not forget:

1. The very same Foster's Way I mentioned earlier had free parking up and till a year or two ago - it was a complete mess since all the spaces were taken up before 9am by office/shop workers in the area.

2. Pay & Display was introduced in 2006 (link here, disproving your theory that the lack of free parking was responsible for the decline in footfall. Note that some local residents welcomed the implementation of P&D.

3. FCC's staff parking have been in existence for (I'd guess) 15 years - another blow to your simplistic view point.

4. All urban on street parking are P&D lately. FCC is not unique in this aspect.

Yet you choose to rant on and on about FCC's hand in the decline of business on the main street based on their parking policy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

In Malahide, they now allow a hour's free parking in the car park just over the bridge. I understand this has been very successful for trade in the village. People are willing to walk that small distance to save the incidental parking cost.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yet you choose to rant on and on about FCC's hand in the decline of business on the main street based on their parking policy?

Whilst I do agree with some of your points and they are valid I do think a new strategy needs to be put in place in terms of parking.

As the poster above mentioned maybe 30 mins / 1 hour free would be an incentive.

For me, I wouldn't park in main street when I can park in the Pav for free for 2 hours and do my shopping there. I can even do most of AIB banking in the post office now.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Picked up the North County Leader today which says that Lidl have been granted planning permission for their proposed development on Dublin Road, Swords. One has to question the sanity of this decision, traffic on Dublin Road can be manic at any time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

I read in Tuesday's Independent that Lidl in Pinnock Hill will open next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

mickmmc wrote: »
    I read in Tuesday's Independent that Lidl in Pinnock Hill will open next week.

Yes, opening thursday 27th oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had a look in last night, I didn't realise it had opened and was on my way to Rathbeale Road. The place looks great, a bit more style to it than older stores, and there's covered parking under the store. It was fairly quiet Monday evening and plenty of parking spaces, could be a very different experience on a busier day.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Your right about it being a different experience on a busier day,last Sat afternoon to be exact.
    Same old problem outside of traffic tailing back from the Lord Mayor's junction blocking the entrance to the store.
    You would have thought a yellow box junction would have been put in place before the store opened,to at least try to keep the entrance clear.
    The store I thought is a bit cramped,barely enough room for 2 trolley's to pass in the isle's,also Lidl like Aldi seem to have a thing about having all the till's being in use at the same time.
    Definitely only shop there off peak,when it's not crowded,the coffee machine at the entrance is handy and only 1 euro,did't try the coffee will the next time,it will give me some thing to look forward too.

Don't know why FCC would bother putting in a yellow junction box, there's already one further up on Dublin Road which is regularly blocked with no enforcement by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Some motorist's seem to feel it's their duty to block these box's,if I were a guard I'd taser them or draw the baton.

Some people don't know what a yellow box is for and how it's supposed to be used.

T-Maxx wrote:
    Some people don't know what a yellow box is for and how it's supposed to be used.

And I would say that some don't care what a yellow box is for, and some also feel a sense of entitlement. The Snowflake generation.

Advertisement