Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A coaches best XI (excluding current players)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can't have a Wenger XI without Campbell. And I don't think anyone can put Thuram on a bench behind Dixon.

I was gonna put Winterburn ahead of Cole,that back 4 were unreal in their day.

Try picking a best XI from this man's teams. Jupp Heynckes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupp_Heynckes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Biscuits is the best dm ever? He's not even the best dm now!

Poor man's De Rossi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Seaneh wrote: »
    Biscuits is the best dm ever? He's not even the best dm now!

Poor man's De Rossi.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure this discussion's already happened. You have your opinion, I have my opinion, Busquets has his 4 La Liga winner medals, 2 Copa Del Rey's, 4 Supercopa's, 2 Supercups, 2 World Club Cup's, 1 European Championship, 2 Champions League's, a World Cup and the La Liga breakthrough player of the year 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You can't judge a player solely on his trophy haul. Its a team sport and the best teams are usually more than a sum of their parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm sure this discussion's already happened. You have your opinion, I have my opinion, Busquets has his 4 La Liga winner medals, 2 Copa Del Rey's, 4 Supercopa's, 2 Supercups, 2 World Club Cup's, 1 European Championship, 2 Champions League's, a World Cup and the La Liga breakthrough player of the year 2009.

:confused:

Would winning the Bidone d'oro be an accolade too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Dempsey wrote: »
    You can judge a player solely on his trophy haul. Its a team sport and the best teams are usually more than a sum of their parts.

And he isn't judged purely on the basis of his trophy haul, however it is a factor. He's been a key part to each and every single one of those trophies, his importance to Barcelona is beyond question, his quality undoubted. A truly great player.

So yes, for me he is the finest holding midfielder I've ever seen play the game. Combining the defensive brilliance of Makelele with the technical brilliance of a Xavi and adding a subtle touch of playmaking from deep to the proceedings.

However this thread isn't about Sergio Busquets, so I wont be commenting any further on the topic, my point has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And he isn't judged purely on the basis of his trophy haul, however it is a factor. He's been a key part to each and every single one of those trophies, his importance to Barcelona is beyond question, his quality undoubted. A truly great player.

So yes, for me he is the finest holding midfielder I've ever seen play the game. Combining the defensive brilliance of Makelele with the technical brilliance of a Xavi and adding a subtle touch of playmaking from deep to the proceedings.

However this thread isn't about Sergio Busquets, so I wont be commenting any further on the topic, my point has been made.

He's not as good at defending as Makelele was, and lets be honest, not as technically good as Xavi. It's the combination that makes him so good, it's between him and De Rossi for best DM at the moment. De Rossi has a mighty beard and Biscuits doesn't though, so that might be the decider.

But I refer you back to Matthaus. Busquets has a long way to go before he can match "Loddar". 5 World Cup tournaments, more trophies, second most caps for a European player. Busquets won't match that. Easily better defensively (he played as a sweeper too so he had to be), and scored a hat load of goals to boot too. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually one of the few people I know that actually likes Busquets, I think he's cleaned up a lot over the last few years. But your hyperbole is entirely unjustified here.

Yeah and I pointed out Seba Rossi's trophy haul and personal records so surely he must be one of the greatest 'keepers of all time?

But in reality, no, that's not how it works, trophy haul doesn't accurately measure talent.

Rossi was an average 'keeper is an amazing team.

Biscuits is a good player is a great team.

Neither are the best in their position in the world at the time they played and certainly not of all time.

• Advertisement

Combining the defensive brilliance of Makelele with the technical brilliance of a Xavi

He has neither. Not even close to either of them in their respective strong suits.

The player you are thinking of is a former Real Madrid Captain called Fernando Redondo.

De Rossi has a mighty beard and Biscuits doesn't though, so that might be the decider.

De Rossi's beard is so epic even his team mates are afraid of it.

article-2231944-15F8F75D000005DC-422_634x423.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

zerks wrote: »
    I was gonna put Winterburn ahead of Cole,that back 4 were unreal in their day.
    Thuram is one of, if not the best there's ever been at RB though.

And Campbell was just a monster. As good as if not better than Kompany was the year City won the league. And he didn't even make the bench!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll try do a Jose one without including the current Chelsea squad

J.Ceasar
    Maicon Ramos Carvalho Zanetti
    Makelele Alonso
    Robben Deco Ronaldo
    Drogba

Subs :
    Casillas
    Samuel
    Lucio
    Ozil
    Sniejder
    Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

John O'Shea's trophy haul:

Manchester United[25]Premier League (5): 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
    FA Cup (1): 2003–04
    Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2008–09 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (4): 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Republic of Ireland
    UEFA U-17 Championship: 1998

Now O'Shea is a good player, but saying a player is the best in their position and basing your decision on trophies won is quite silly.

John O'Shea's trophy haul:

Manchester United[25]Premier League (5): 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
    FA Cup (1): 2003–04
    Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2008–09 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (4): 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Republic of Ireland
    UEFA U-17 Championship: 1998

Now O'Shea is a good player, but saying a player is the best in their position and basing your decision on trophies won is quite silly.

Now you've done it, he'll come back and say he's the best ever because he plays "the Barcelona way", not just trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Busquets is a key player though. Starts every single time when fit.

John o didn't. Was never really / barely ever a first team starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Busquets is a key player though. Starts every single time when fit.

John o didn't. Was never really / barely ever a first team starter.

Yeah but Busquets play in goal?

Try picking a best XI from this man's teams. Jupp Heynckes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupp_Heynckes

...........Canizares............

Panucci..........Hierro........Kohler.....Carlos

..........Mattaus..........Seedoorf...........

Ribery.......Redondo..........B.Laudrup

..................Raul......................

You could pick another full team just from the Madrid '98 team and the 2012 Bayern team.

Anybody want to do a Big Sam one? He had some decent players in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'll have a crack at Allardyce (Not based on when they played for him)

Given

Salgado - Samba - Campo - Enrique

Djorkjaeff- Okocha - Hierro - Duff

Anelka - Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

You have Sami Kuffor ahead of Maldini?

wat?

Maldini is a hero of mine. I thought it was only club sides.

Kuffor is still a good shout.

6 Bundesliga winners medals and a Champions League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

David O'Leary

Sorenson

Kelly-Radebe--Woodgate-Harte

Solano-Bowyer-- Barry-Kewell

----Hasselbaink--Viduka

Radebe & Woodgate ahead of Rio due to his performances in O'Leary's early days. Cannavaro and Martin Laursen are also notable absentees but Laursen was injured for his time while Cannavaro doesn't count as desert football is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Nigel Martyn over Sorenson maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

...........Canizares............

Panucci..........Hierro........Kohler.....Carlos

..........Mattaus..........Seedoorf...........

Ribery.......Redondo..........B.Laudrup

..................Raul......................

You could pick another full team just from the Madrid '98 team and the 2012 Bayern team.

Anybody want to do a Big Sam one? He had some decent players in his time.

Jasus Redondo. He was a class act. Injuries fookd up his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

David moyes not currently playing for him

………………Howard
    Yobo…jagielka…lescott…baine
    Osman…arteta…neville…pienaar
    ……………………cahill
    …………………yakubu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He has neither. Not even close to either of them in their respective strong suits.

The player you are thinking of is a former Real Madrid Captain called Fernando Redondo.

Glad someone else appreciated Redondo. Absolutely brilliant player, and I think still very underrated. The guy could pass the ball all day and never look like he was gonna give it away.

I like Busquets as a player actually, but doesn't do the complete job that Makelele did across the midfield, and is certainly not as technically gifted as Xavi.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Robson99 wrote: »
    Jasus Redondo. He was a class act. Injuries fookd up his career

The player Roy Keane wishes he could have been.... Runs

I was going to do one for Del Bosque but my head started to hurt from "was he there, wasn't he" at Madrid. He was manger something like 4 times between 93 & 03 :rolleyes: Bleedin shower that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Trapattoni, even though extremely tough:
    Kahn
    Lizarazu Cannavaro Nesta Maldini
    Matthaus Bonini Platini Brady
    Baggio Boniek

Leaving the likes of the following on the bench:

Zoff
    Buffon
    Gentile
    Brehme
    Pirlo
    Tardelli
    Laudrup
    Totti
    Klinsmann
    Batistuta
    Rossi

Plus a few wildcards:

Paolo Di Canio
    Paul Green
    Mario Basler
    Andy Reid
    Thomas Strunz

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Trapattoni, even though extremely tough:
    Kahn
    Lizarazu Cannavaro Nesta Maldini
    Matthaus Bonini Platini Brady
    Baggio Boniek

Leaving the likes of the following on the bench:

Zoff
    Buffon
    Gentile
    Brehme
    Pirlo
    Tardelli
    Laudrup
    Totti
    Klinsmann
    Batistuta
    Rossi

Plus a few wildcards:

Paolo Di Canio
    Paul Green
    Mario Basler
    Andy Reid
    Thomas Strunz

Did Lizarazu ever play at rightback? I'd also have Buffon over Kahn at this point. Great team otherwise, with the notable omission of Del Piero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Your forgetting busquets has also won the Fall-on Da Floor a couple of years on the the trot now .

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Did Lizarazu ever play at rightback? I'd also have Buffon over Kahn at this point. Great team otherwise, with the notable omission of Del Piero.

Fair point, he was predominently a left-back, but it was the only way I could get him into that defence! The right side of the team was a little bit played out of position it must be said, but with so many good players a few sacrifices had to be made.

I probably should have included Del Piero among the subs all right. Although I wouldn't be able to find a place for him in the forward line over Boniek and Baggio to be honest.

• Advertisement

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Fair point, he was predominently a left-back, but it was the only way I could get him into that defence! The right side of the team was a little bit played out of position it must be said, but with so many good players a few sacrifices had to be made.

I probably should have included Del Piero among the subs all right. Although I wouldn't be able to find a place for him in the forward line over Boniek and Baggio to be honest.

You could put Maldini on the right (he is right footed and played there a few times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Pat Fenlon

Brian Murphy

Owen Heary--James McPake--Paul Hanlon--Ryan McGivern

Joseph Ndo--Mindaugas Kalonas

Wes Hoolahan----Paddy McCourt

Jason Byrne--Leigh Griffiths

Somewhat hard to find a balanced midfield, Stuart Byrne might be a bit unlucky. I'm not too sure about the central defence either. Glen Crowe or Jason Byrne is a tricky one. He managed Seamus Coleman for the Irish U-23's but it would not be right to drop Heary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He's not as good at defending as Makelele was, and lets be honest, not as technically good as Xavi. It's the combination that makes him so good, it's between him and De Rossi for best DM at the moment. De Rossi has a mighty beard and Biscuits doesn't though, so that might be the decider.

But I refer you back to Matthaus. Busquets has a long way to go before he can match "Loddar". 5 World Cup tournaments, more trophies, second most caps for a European player. Busquets won't match that. Easily better defensively (he played as a sweeper too so he had to be), and scored a hat load of goals to boot too. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually one of the few people I know that actually likes Busquets, I think he's cleaned up a lot over the last few years. But your hyperbole is entirely unjustified here.

TBF, if anyone has a chance to match that its Busquets. Guy has 63 Spanish caps at the age of 25 and looks like somebody who could play well into his thirties.

Advertisement