Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing data from jpeg

Options
  • 26-11-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

If you upload a jpeg to an internet site will the properties show all the data under details tab in the photo if someone downloads it? I have tried removin all data but it leaves some like the Image ID, height/resolution and folder path as in C:\ username\My photo etc.

Would the person downloading it see the folder path\computer name etc

is this what is called meta data?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

EXIF meta data is the name. It can be stripped/edited with the right tools (google 'exif editor').

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Spiritiser wrote: »
    If you upload a jpeg to an internet site will the properties show all the data under details tab in the photo if someone downloads it? I have tried removin all data but it leaves some like the Image ID, height/resolution and folder path as in C:\ username\My photo etc.

Would the person downloading it see the folder path\computer name etc

is this what is called meta data?

The jpeg properties such as height and resolution will remain but the folder path just refers to where the jpeg is currently stored. It changes to a web address when uploaded and then to whatever location it's stored to on another pc/laptop when downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

mordeith wrote: »
    The jpeg properties such as height and resolution will remain but the folder path just refers to where the jpeg is currently stored. It changes to a web address when uploaded and then to whatever location it's stored to on another pc/laptop when downloaded.
    What about owner and computer? Do they also change when downloaded to a new computer?

Thanks for replies both of you

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20072723-285/how-to-remove-personal-data-from-image-files/ does not work for me. Even though I choose to remove all when I re open file it is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Spiritiser wrote: »
    What about owner and computer? Do they also change when downloaded to a new computer?

Thanks for replies both of you

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20072723-285/how-to-remove-personal-data-from-image-files/ does not work for me. Even though I choose to remove all when I re open file it is still there

Yes they change. Take for example the jpeg below (a). If you download it to your PC and then check the properties, they will reflect where it is stored on your pc, as in the dialog box screenshot (b)

a
    282039.jpg

b
    282040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

mordeith wrote: »
    Yes they change. Take for example the jpeg below (a). If you download it to your PC and then check the properties, they will reflect where it is stored on your pc, as in the dialog box screenshot (b)

a
    282039.jpg

b
    282040.jpg
    Thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement