Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a charge for purchasing non-euro goods with visa debit card?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I used my visa debit card to make an online purchase for £208 (GBP) on Thursday the 21st November. I've been charged €258 for it, which is an exchange rate of about €1.24, which meant I was charged an extra €10 given that per current rates, £208 is €248. Is there a charge I was unaware of, for purchasing non-Euro denominated goods?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Jonnylomax 

Thank you for your post.

In relation to your Visa Debit Card, the exchange rates are applied by Visa. You can check their exchange rates on their website.

When the transaction fully post on your account, it will show you the exchange rate in the narrative of the transaction.

There is a separate cross border handling charge when using your Visa Debit Card for a non-euro purchase, please see more details here on page 11 of our Schedule and Fees and Charges brochure.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement