Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits. Always in heat?

• 26-11-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if rabbits have an off season. I have one of each in seperate cages and I change them over, allow one them roam the garden for 12 hours. Anychance Ii could let them both free without them copulating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

hansfrei wrote: »
    Anyone know if rabbits have an off season. I have one of each in seperate cages and I change them over, allow one them roam the garden for 12 hours. Anychance Ii could let them both free without them copulating?

Have the same myself, as far as I could see, they don't seem to have an off season! I had to get the boy rabbit neutered, and now they can play happily together with no copulating :) (though it's very expensive to do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

+1 on getting one or both neutered, most small animal vets will do it.

Clumsyklutz it's expensive because they require such a high dose of anaesthetics compared to a cat or dog of the same bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Can't get the male neutered. Kids are scarred he'll die. Might get the female done in spring.

Anyone think €170 is a fair price to neuter a female giant flemish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yep, that's a good price and a bit less than I paid!

Female buns should always be neutered for health reasons anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The females operation is longer and more risky than the males so it's actually safer to get the male done. Females should be spayed to prevent reproductive cancers which are common enough in buns.

If you neuter either make sure you don't let them near each other for a few weeks so the female has a chance to heal and the hormones die down, and the male is no longer fertile.

Saying all this..how old are the rabbits? If they are young and in good health with a good vet on your side they should be fine, there's a risk with every op but just feel I have to say that as buns are more delicate than a cat or dog. Personally I have never had a problem with any of my previous guinea pigs or rabbits being neutered.

The s.maller male is a year old. The larger female is eight months. I'll leave the decision 'til spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭zoviea

I got our male rabbit neutered as the vet said it was less risky. We had to keep him in for a while and kept warm as they loose their body heat quickly afterwards. I was hand feeding him for days and with water too!! I love my bunnies but unfortunately when I came home today our dog (1.5year old)had somehow got at their cage and killed my lovely 5 year old rabbit. She was lovely and I am heartbroken now. I know its not the dogs fault but I can help but feel so mad..even with myself. It must have been awful for my poor girl but there was no evidence of her been ate, could she have died from been chased? Please no horrible comments, Cant feel any worse than I do right now.
    And yes the rabbits were in their cage secured but some how the door got opened, maybe the pup kept at it to open it I am not sure but either way the rabbit got out.

Advertisement