Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squat - Foot positions?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

When I'm doing Squats I find it hard to keep my feet straight so they usually turn out at a 45 degree angle.
    Is it ok for my feet to turn out at this angle?

My details:
    6ft 4in
    100kg
    Usually squats small amounts 10 - 15kg

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

just make sure your knees are in line with your feet.

but 45 might be too much. is it hip flexibility thats stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Feet a bit wider then shoulder width a part. Feet flared about 30 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Feet out to side, half duck feet say.

Some cues:

First thing that should move when squatting is your hips - push them down and back.

As you're doing that, drive your knees out to side with intent - this creates a stronger position.

Oh and most people think they're pushing their knees out a lot but in fact are not, so push hard.

Tight upper back, tuck elbows under bar, smash your head back into better and keep that chest up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I used have my feel out about 30 degrees but I find I'm much more stable now when they're about 10 degrees..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Possibly....do you know any exercises that would improve my hip flexibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Pilates would improve hip flexibility , would improve flexibility all over in fact.

Thanks Gordy6040.

Could I ask you another question.

My Traps are uneven any exercises that you would recommend to improve this?

Cheers

Thanks Gordy6040.

Could I ask you another question.

My Traps are uneven any exercises that you would recommend to improve this?

Cheers

Your traps probably aren't uneven unless you train one side heavier. You're probably just tight.... Everywhere.

Shrugs and upright rows are great. Try use dumbells on the shugs if you think you have a muscle imbalance, watch your form and make sure you are lifting and holding the weight the same for both sides.

If he's tight in an area, doing other exercises aren't going to do jack for him. Op, do some foam rolling, lacrosse balling on your upper extremities and see if that helps.

• Advertisement

If he's tight in an area, doing other exercises aren't going to do jack for him. Op, do some foam rolling, lacrosse balling on your upper extremities and see if that helps.

That's a point all right. If you're like most people and spend most of your day at a desk, followed by a commute home then your muscles are likely to be stiff and range of motion may not be great. I found the foam riller great for my ib band tightness. Any stretching would be a good thing. Are you new to weights or do you have a job that would explain an imbalance?

Starting going to the gym around 2.5 years ago.
    I do a mixture of weights & cardio, the weights I used aren't particularly heavy (15kg), I do pilates twice a week most weeks.

Have a desk job.

A friend told me Cuban Presses would be good exercise to do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

dont worry too much about the traps.

just keep doing barbell exercises for them (deadlifts, shrugs, rack pulls) and the weak one will catch up and even out in time.

Advertisement