Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with getting around the city.

Options
  • 26-11-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Dublin next week for a few nights. I haven't been in Dublin in years.
    I'm getting the train up.I need to get to the point village, Gibson hotel. I've been told the Luas stops right out side Huston station? and that the Luas stopped right outside the hotel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

killanena wrote: »
    I'm going to Dublin next week for a few nights. I haven't been in Dublin in years.
    I'm getting the train up.I need to get to the point village, Gibson hotel. I've been told the Luas stops right out side Huston station? and that the Luas stopped right outside the hotel?

Yup pretty much this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Great, Thanks!
    Where would I stop on the Luas from the Point to the city center?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Great, Thanks!
    Abbey Street or Jervis. When you're getting the Luas from Heuston keep an eye on the display as some terminate at Connolly station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Great, Thanks!

Well that depends upon where you want to go to in the city centre.

Here's a map of the red line route.
    http://www.luas.ie/luas-red-line-stops/

Abbey Street is the closest to O'Connell Street, while Jervis provides a link to Temple Bar via the Millenium Bridge.

Note also that Dublin Bus route 151 passes the Gibson Hotel from the city also, along the North Quays.

As the previous poster says, make sure your tram says "The Point" on the front of it when going to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Check out this handy site !

• Advertisement

Great, Thanks guys :)
    A little off topic but where is the best place to go shopping in the city? For everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Horrocksjm

Take the Red Line Luas From outside Heuston Station and take the Luas all the way to the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Great, Thanks guys :)
    A little off topic but where is the best place to go shopping in the city? For everything really.

All the main high street shops would be along Henry Street & Jervis Centre so you're prob best off there. They've Arnotts & Debenhams too so plenty of choice.

You can get off at the Jervis Stop on the Luas from the Gibson or else Abbey Street and just walk down to Henry Street by the Spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If what you want are the larger shops and departments stores and chain stores, the O'Connell St/Henry St area has all them all...Arnotts, Clearys, Marks & Spencer, Debenhams etc are all there. But if you are feeling adventurous, you could head over to Grafton St on the south side. It's only about a 15 minute walk from O'Connell St. Just cross over the bridge, walk up Westmoreland St and when you come to College Green, (where Trinity College and the Bank of Ireland are) you are already at the bottom of Grafton St.

Apart from Brown Thomas, Grafton St itself doesn't have all that many shops that you won't also find on the north side, but most of the side streets leading off it have loads of little shops and boutiques & specialty shops, that you won't find anywhere else in town. They are good for a mooch around, as is the Powerscourt Town House area. Walk down the lane way beside Bewleys side entrance and its right there. There is also an Avoca Woolen Mills on Suffolk St and the flag ship Kilkenny Design Store on Nassau St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is it December 8th you're coming up???

• Advertisement

3rd - 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Also the gift shop in the national gallery (2 mins from the Kilkenny Shop) has some nice unusual gifts and stocking fillers for Christmas!
    New Look have their flagship store in The Jervis Centre and there is one giant Penney's also on Mary St.....just down from the Jervis Centre!

Henry St is probably the street where you will get everything but the quirkier small/crafty shops are off the side streets around Grafton St.
    There is also a TK Max in the St Stephen's Green S.C but I'd be in there around 9.30 to have a browse!

Advertisement