Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 365 wont load on my brand new Toshiba

Options
  • 26-11-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just bought a new Toshiba Laptop.
    Bought Office 365 but it wont load.
    I get to the setup file but it stops and gives me an error msg
    "sorry we had a problem installing office".

Ive run the Microsoft Fixit tool to remove any other Office versions.

Im using windows 8 for the first time - HELP

Any advice ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its not a typical problem, so don't be overly concerned that its a common theme with Toshiba or Microsoft.

First of all: if you're in dire need of running office right now, before you do anything I suggest below go to http://office.com and log in with the account you used to activate 365. In your "My Office" tab, select the program you need to run from the Office on Demand panel. This will stream a full version of the program you need, into RAM.

The most bullet-proof thing to do is go ahead and do a system reset while the PC is fresh and you have little to lose in the effort. You actually have 2 good options: a System Refresh, and a System Wipe. I'd actually suggest the wipe. Access both from PC Settings under general, or, on your keyboard press Windows+W and type "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows" (don't worry, it will give you several prompts beyond this point, explaining what will happen, before it actually gives you the option to pull the trigger)

When the system reboots and you get back to the desktop (~30mins) look for current installations of office. Most PCs shipping currently have the Office 365 files already preloaded. In which case launch Office (by typing "Office" from the start screen) and it should give you a desktop window offering you a trial, to purchase, or to activate a subscription.

For units still shipped with Office 2010 installed (there should be few out there, but maybe some on clearance or that have 2nd or 3rd gen Intel CPUs) Uninstall that first, just for simplicity. In all practicality though Office 2010 being installed shouldn't affect 365.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kbarnesie

Thanks for the reply

Since then I have been able to download Office however
    when I try opening WORD or EXCEL it says a problem has occurred
    and I am unable to Open it. The files are downloaded.....

I have been online with Microsoft(they took control of laptop) and they said I needed to run Microsoft Tune Up but this will cost me......

Its a brand new laptop so i will be returning it rather than paying up to rectify a conflict between OFFICE/WINDOWS 8 or/and Toshiba Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is a complete bitch of a problem to remedy as it varies on what the cause and solutions are, usually caused by another version of Office (probably the one that was pre-installed on your machine).

The FixIt tool is 50/50 on fixing the problem and sometimes you have to go through the machine manually to remove absolutely every last bit of trace of Office before the Office 365 setup will work.

I imagine you're getting the error when you open Word that it gives you the option to close or repair, which won't be of much help to you anyways as that doesn't work for this problem.

Anyways, sometimes this fix works, just move on to the next step if you can't find any of the files listed below:
    1. Delete all files containing C2RManifest*.xml files from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Integration

2. Close any running Office apps and terminate any of the following processes using Task Manager:

• integratedoffice.exe

• appvshnotify.exe

• integrator.exe

• firstrun.exe

• setup*.exe

3. Delete the Office files by removing the following files/directories:

• C:\\ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15"

• C:\\ProgramData%\Microsoft\ClickToRun"

C:\\ProgramData%\Microsoft\office\FFPackageLocker

4. Delete the Office registry configuration by deleting these keys using regedit:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\

5. Run command prompt as administrator then type this in:

o If running 32bit Office on an 64bit OS:

 MsiExec.exe /X {90150000-008F-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}

o If running 32bit Office on an 32bit OS:

o MsiExec.exe /X {90150000-007E-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

o If running both 64bit

o MsiExec.exe /X {90150000-008C-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}

6. Uninstall the “Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component” by running the following command in an Administrator command prompt:

• MsiExec.exe /X {90150000-008C-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

7. Then run fix it

8. Reinstall office

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be clear, I would attempt a full reset, uninstall the preloaded files then run ccleaner,and run all of your windows updates, ahead and get 8.1, clean the registry again and try again then

Advertisement