Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foodie gift for €10

Options
  • 26-11-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a €10 gift for a foodie friend of mine. I had planned on making up a little mini hamper of noms but I think it'll be a bit paltry with such a small (secret santa) budget.
    Any and all suggestions welcome! Apart from restaurant vouchers, that is :p
    Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Examples: Parma ham, melon, olives, brié, camembert, grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try and source a really nice bottle of nut oil or a little bottle of top notch balsamic vinegar, Iranian saffron or something. Try to pick a luxury food item you think they might use but wouldn't buy for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You could make a fantastic hamper of herbs and spices from an Asian shop on that budget. You could add some oil or sauces too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Even your mini hamper idea could still work , 1 or two euro for a cheepo basket , about 3 to 5 euro for a small prepacked wedge of cashel or hegartys cheddar, small jar of relish/ onion marmalade and maybe a pack of crackers or water biscuits , fling them in basket(on a bed of shredded paper) dressed up with a bit of ribbon or a clementine and it looks fierce posh ...
    A bit of leg work (unless you live in cork then you just go to one of the markets )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think a few little jars of chutney and relish would be lovely! Put them in a basket with a little gingham cloth and crackers. I get my chutneys from a place called Cottage Delight here in the UK which is delish but I know McCambridges in Galway stock their goodies as do lots of other places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

You could make your own chutney, cucumber pickle, red onion jam, jam, cookies, cookie dough, chocolate truffles, fudge, crackers, bread sticks etc... There was a thread here a year or two ago with suggested home made goods.

Or as others suggested you can get lots of cool cheap stuff in the Asian shops. The one beside the Luas stop on Abbey street is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Thanks everyone! Looks like the hamper is a go after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I wouldn't even use a basket. I just wrap my hampers in cellophane and tie with a ribbon! they look lovely

Actually, has anyone seen these jars (any flavour will do)on sale anywhere in Dublin? I saw them in the English Market in Cork over the weekend for a bargain price of approx €1.50 and am raging now that I didn't just buy them there and then. I definitely won't be in Cork now before Christmas.
    default.aspx

Mods, I also asked about finding this product in the Dublin City forum - I hope that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Moving away from hampers, but a 10E potato ricer are amazing, esp if they like mash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

hussey wrote: »
    Moving away from hampers, but a 10E potato ricer are amazing, esp if they like mash

Oh, this! What a brilliant gift idea. Ricers are the way of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Thud

cosmic wrote: »
    Actually, has anyone seen these jars (any flavour will do)on sale anywhere in Dublin? I saw them in the English Market in Cork over the weekend for a bargain price of approx €1.50 and am raging now that I didn't just buy them there and then. I definitely won't be in Cork now before Christmas.

Mods, I also asked about finding this product in the Dublin City forum - I hope that's ok

different brand but similar products:
    http://littleitalyltd.com/collections/vegetables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

hussey wrote: »

I'd love something like this if someone was buying me a foodie gift for a tenner. Some sort of kitchen tool that you wouldn't necessarily buy yourself. (I got a meat thermometer as a Kris Kindle last year, I squealed)

Thanks all for your suggestions! I was in Ikea at the weekend so I went with the potato ricer :)

Advertisement