Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too young and too old to do the leaving cert

Options
  • 26-11-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all was looking for a bit of advice,

I stupidly left school in 5th year and I now want to do my leaving cert. The problem is I'm 20 years old and too young for the adult one (VTOS). It's not feasible to go back to secondary school either because I'd have no income (and nowhere to live by extension). There is another option in the form of youth reach but their leaving cert from my understanding is very limited (no higher level) and seems to be just to keep kids in school.

My only option is FETAC which I don't like because it seems too specific (I might be wrong of course). I want to do business and/or accountancy at 3rd level and my local adult education center doesn't have anything in that regard.

Help is appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you ask in your local Youthreach centre? There is no reason why they could not let you do Higher Level. They may not currently have HL students, but if you went they would.

Contact your local ETB regarding FETAC courses that would allow you to progress.

Did you contact your local VEC last year when you asked this question first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roasturkey

spurious wrote: »
    Did you ask in your local Youthreach centre? There is no reason why they could not let you do Higher Level. They may not currently have HL students, but if you went they would.

Contact your local ETB regarding FETAC courses that would allow you to progress.

Did you contact your local VEC last year when you asked this question first?

Yes I contacted them last year and they told me the only thing I could do at my age was go back to school or go through youthreach. I was always told that youthreach is the leaving cert applied that's why I assumed there's no higher level (mind you I never actually mentioned it). I have been working the past year and since these options didn't appeal to me I thought I'd wait until I was eligible for VTOS. But that would mean waiting another 2 years since I won't be 21 by the time that starts next year so I thought I'd ask again now for a little more info.

Thanks for the help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does your ETB have night classes for LC? That might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Or is it possible to do the LC through BTEI in your area? I know that's a part-time scheme but some centers can allow a student to attend the complete LC through that Scheme if LC subjects are available in the relevant centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

You do not mention where you live that would be really useful. You could consider a school/college that does repeat lc they often have a slightly older age profile. You should also reconsider a fetac 5, plenty of them have excellent links to 3rd level colleges. A very good fetac 5 can get you in a degree in business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement