Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Question

Options
  • 26-11-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi there,
    We are nearing the end of our year long lease(2 weeks left) and we are wondering were we supposed to give a month's notice before leaving?
    (We thought as it is a Fixed term lease, it would just run out).

Also the day we are moving out is mid-week, I'm guessing we need to pay the full weeks rent right?
    Do you think a letting agency would allow us to pay the security deposit for our new place in parts? Like pay 1/2 upfront and pay extra rent to cover the remainder(like double rent for 2 weeks). The only reason is, due to some unforseen circumstances, we won't be able to make the full security deposit on the day.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

yes you should have given notice 2 weeks ago. and no you wouldn't have to pay full weeks rent under normal circumstances, just till the last date of your notice period. As for the last question, its unlikely, but you could ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

yes you should have given notice 2 weeks ago. .

Not sure this is correct, as I understand it tenants have to notify the landlord if they intend to remain in a tenancy after the fixed term under part 4 but both parties are entitled to expect the tenancy to end at the end of the fixed term unless any indication to the contrary is received.

It is bad practice not to clarify beforehand, but not a requirement.

Otherwise, OP, you have to pay until the end of the tenancy, not the day you move out if that is earlier.

Also, "we won't be able to make the full security deposit on the day." will likely mean big trouble for you. Kind of a red flag about not being able to pay the rent, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

both parties are entitled to expect the tenancy to end at the end of the fixed term unless any indication to the contrary is received.

Landlords dont really have a right to expect the tenancy to end at the end of a fixed term lease (unless the term is less than 6 months perhaps). If they readvertise and the tenant decides to stay (without giving notice of staying) then the landlord can claim the expenses back from the tenant, but thats all it amounts to.

I agree about the deposit; I wouldnt even ask if I could avoid it at all. Most landlords would run a mile from a tenant who shows an inability to pay before the tenancy even begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Also, "we won't be able to make the full security deposit on the day." will likely mean big trouble for you. Kind of a red flag about not being able to pay the rent, isn't it?

Ordinarily we would have no problem with the rent seeing as the place we are currently in is actually dearer than where we want to move( we pay ontime and it is our 1st priority), it's just I had a string of bad luck over the past 2 weeks and as a result didn't think we could make the security deposit and first weeks rent.

However I have re-looked at our budget for the week and we should be able to cover it(Fingers crossed so I don't have anymore bad luck eh? ).

Thanks for all the info though guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Umekichi wrote: »
    Hi there,
    We are nearing the end of our year long lease(2 weeks left) and we are wondering were we supposed to give a month's notice before leaving?
    (We thought as it is a Fixed term lease, it would just run out).

Also the day we are moving out is mid-week, I'm guessing we need to pay the full weeks rent right?
    Do you think a letting agency would allow us to pay the security deposit for our new place in parts? Like pay 1/2 upfront and pay extra rent to cover the remainder(like double rent for 2 weeks). The only reason is, due to some unforseen circumstances, we won't be able to make the full security deposit on the day.

Thanks.
    No, you don't have to give any notice of vacating, but it is polite to do so.

Furthermore, it is advisable to get the landlord/agent to do a pre-exit inspection of the property at least 2 weeks before vacating, so that any problems which may affect the return of your full deposit. This gives you time to remedy any matters as once the fixed term expires and you have vacated, you are not legally entitled to return to remedy any matters.

As regards your deposit for the new place, it would be unlikely that a landlord would agree to what you want, especially as any lease would say the deposit received and it would have to be amended, which is more hassle for a landlord. That is, apart from indicating that you may well fall into arrears during the tenancy, should other unforeseen circumstances arise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement