Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burlington Road

Options
  • 26-11-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Was just wondering, what would Burlington Road be like to drive in and out from every day for a 9-5 job? I'd be coming from the Naas road direction. Also, does anyone have any idea on parking? Just wondering whether I'd be better off getting a Luas in to town & walking or if driving isn't too bad out that way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Traffic can be intense. Colleague travelling from Celbridge to our office (not 100 miles away from Burlington Road) took 2.5 hours this morning because something 'was up' around Stephen's Green. Also if anything is on in the Aviva or anything is on that Merrion Square is closed off for it gets ever so unpleasant. If parking isn't included with your job it's expensive to park on the streets. Can't think of any free parking around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Traffic can be intense. Colleague travelling from Celbridge to our office (not 100 miles away from Burlington Road) took 2.5 hours this morning because something 'was up' around Stephen's Green. Also if anything is on in the Aviva or anything is on that Merrion Square is closed off for it gets ever so unpleasant. If parking isn't included with your job it's expensive to park on the streets. Can't think of any free parking around here.

Today was the first day that the new traffic system around Stephens Green came into place, to make way for all the Luas construction. So I am sure that it was an absolute mess today. I have no idea if today was a once off & things will improve once people get used to the new system, or if it will always be a mess until the work finishes in 2017. But if I was a betting person, I know what my money would be on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Not sure about the parking situation yet, I know the building this job is in does offer parking spaces to the companies renting the units but I've seen the price per parking space so not sure how many, if any, they'd have gotten.

Luas sounds like it may be the best option for the time being so.. Might check back here in a week or so to find out if people have gotten used to the new traffic system or if your bet would be right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd reckon luas to Charelmont and walk down the canal is your best bet.
    Say hello to the swans on the way :)

I'm on the red line :eek: so it'd be to Abbey St and walk the rest of the way.. Can't see it being any more than a 15 minute walk..

• Advertisement

Unless your name is Rob Heffernan, you wouldn't walk from Abbey St to Donneybrook in 15 mins. I'd put it closer to 30.

Or you could just bypass the Luas, and get a bus over to Donneybrook from Heuson itself. I'm pretty sure the 145 bus to Kilmacanogue goes along Morehampton Rd, which is near Burlington Road. It stops just outside Heuston Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Today was the first day that the new traffic system around Stephens Green came into place, to make way for all the Luas construction. So I am sure that it was an absolute mess today. I have no idea if today was a once off & things will improve once people get used to the new system, or if it will always be a mess until the work finishes in 2017. But if I was a betting person, I know what my money would be on. :rolleyes:

The road changes made this week are permanent. They're designed to encourage traffic away from the new route of the Luas by facilitating other journeys. Chaos on the first day is no indication that the new road layout is bad - people always take time to figure out new routes.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Unless your name is Rob Heffernan, you wouldn't walk from Abbey St to Donneybrook in 15 mins. I'd put it closer to 30.

Or you could just bypass the Luas, and get a bus over to Donneybrook from Heuson itself. I'm pretty sure the 145 bus to Kilmacanogue goes along Morehampton Rd, which is near Burlington Road. It stops just outside Heuston Station.

Just had a look on Google Maps there, yeah no hope am I doing that in 15 mins.. Was thinking more along the line of Stephens Green!

Do you know by any chance if parking in Heuston station is expensive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're on the red line you may be near the 56a or 77a route? If so you could get that to Ringsend and walk from there, 15 min walk. Bus may take a lot longer than the Luas though which might negate the shorter walk.

Or you could get the 65b/65 and get off in Rathmines (I forget if only one of both routes go through Rathmines) by the canal and walk up. Would be a much shorter bus journey and the walk is still about 15 minutes I would think.

Or you could cycle.

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Just had a look on Google Maps there, yeah no hope am I doing that in 15 mins.. Was thinking more along the line of Stephens Green!

Do you know by any chance if parking in Heuston station is expensive?

It's pay and display. 1.50 per hour, or 8 euros for 24 hrs if you pay at the machine. It's 7 quid for 24 hrs if you prepay by text.

• Advertisement

Right so that'd be another 7 or 8 a day added on to bus fares and petrol .. Hopefully the traffic sorts itself out and the company provide parking :) Ideal world eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Where exactly are you starting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a Dublin Bike station at the junction of Baggot St and Herbert Place, so hop off the Luas at Georges Dock or Mayor Square, grab a DB (there's several new DB stations being built around the IFSC) and cycle over.

Starting from Clondalkin, and I hate cycling.. I'd pick walking any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well you could get the train from Clondalkin/Fonthill station (note it is a limited service) - there is a free car park there, and then the 145 from Heuston to Burlington Road.

Train times are here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16-DublinPortlaoise250920131.pdf

Otherwise, LUAS from Red Cow to Heuston and 145 from there.

Go onto www.a-b.ie (the national journey planner) and put in exact locations, tweak the settings and see what that gives you.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well you could get the train from Clondalkin/Fonthill station (note it is a limited service) - there is a free car park there, and then the 145 from Heuston to Burlington Road.

Train times are here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16-DublinPortlaoise250920131.pdf

Otherwise, LUAS from Red Cow to Heuston and 145 from there.

Go onto www.a-b.ie (the national journey planner) and put in exact locations, tweak the settings and see what that gives you.

Never heard about that site before.. Thanks v much :)

Bus or train to city centre then either the 145, 46a, 39a, 38, 37, 45. Or if you are near the 18 you could get that too.

On street is all pay and display around there. You could look at renting spots around the area? Might be a bit cheaper or close enough to have the comfort of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You can park in the Burlington Hotel if you absolutely need to drive any day. Think it's 15euro daily rate. I've done it a couple of times.

Parking on Burlington Road itself is paid parking Mon-Fri up to 7pm, then free on Saturday and Sunday.

I also hate cycling, but the Dublin Bikes are fantastic for short distances. I use them to get me to Burlington Road from D8 a few times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm working on Burlinton Road at the moment. Honestly, avoid driving like the plague around there, it's an absolute nightmare.

As mentioned already www.a-b.ie is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I live in Parkwest and sometimes have morning appointments in my dentist on Burlington road. Driving down the canal or through Crumlin onto the canal is crazy in the morning. The n4 into Hueston is always bumper to bumper by 7.30. However driving home would be even worse. I would even consider driving as an option.

I'd suggest a bus/train into Hueston or town and another bus out to Burlington road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The 51D or 51X will take you directly from Clondalkin to Waterloo Road. Between them there are 4 departures between 07:25 and 08:00.

There are no return evening departures on these routes from this area, but you can take any bus to Suffolk Street and then change to a 13 or 151 to take you home to Clondalkin. All routes are frequent and the connection is easy.

Advertisement