Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand pass rule query

• 26-11-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I wanted to check if it is the case that you can legally handpass the ball to yourself provided it touches the ground first.
    In the case where you are one on one with the fullback can you handpass the ball over his head , let it bounce behind him and collect the ball after it bounces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bigcat13

I wanted to check if it is the case that you can legally handpass the ball to yourself provided it touches the ground first.
    In the case where you are one on one with the fullback can you handpass the ball over his head , let it bounce behind him and collect the ball after it bounces?

Of course, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Yes there's no problem with that.

Now, can anyone actually claim to understand the rule which permits you to touch the ball on the ground and play it away when you have been knocked over whilst in possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yes there's no problem with that.

Now, can anyone actually claim to understand the rule which permits you to touch the ball on the ground and play it away when you have been knocked over whilst in possession?

I've seen so many frees giving in this position in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

I'm sure you can tbh, well deliberately anyway. I remember one of young minor lads getting pulled back for doing it. I think if it is obvious that you are only playing it to pass it to your self then I think its a free. If you are trying pass it to a team mate and they miss it then it should be ok. It's not something you see too often so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

you see. something simple and the rule is unclear. l got pulled for it last day when playing a friendly. I usually played fullback and caught out by it once and always wanted to try it if I played upfront. the full back got the free out cause the ref had never seen it done before but not seen it before doesn't make it illegal were the words I was saying to him afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

you see. something simple and the rule is unclear. l got pulled for it last day when playing a friendly. I usually played fullback and caught out by it once and always wanted to try it if I played upfront. the full back got the free out cause the ref had never seen it done before but not seen it before doesn't make it illegal were the words I was saying to him afterwards

Not unclear at all, although a lack of knowledge from certain referees could be a cause of you getting caught out. Actual rule as follows:
    1.2 When the ball is on the ground, it may be
    played by any part of the body except the
    hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the
    feet.
    Exceptions
    (i) The goalkeeper may play the ball on the
    ground with his hand(s) inside his own
    small rectangle.
    (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the
    ground while in possession of the ball may
    fist or palm the ball away on the ground,
    and may score by so doing.
    (iii) The ball may not be lifted off the ground
    with the knees.

I seem to remember there being a lot of discussion around this after the All Ireland final in 95. AFAIR Peter Canavan was in possession, fell over and palmed the ball away on the ground. The ref blew for a foul.
    (Disclaimer: this is from memories of watching the game on TV and discussions, may not have gone down exactly as I remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

I mean what is unclear is "When you are in posession running towards an opponent, can you hand pass the ball over his head , let it bounce behind him and reclaim posession and continue on" ? This is what I was blown up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

NBTD wrote: »
    Not unclear at all, although a lack of knowledge from certain referees could be a cause of you getting caught out. Actual rule as follows:

I seem to remember there being a lot of discussion around this after the All Ireland final in 95. AFAIR Peter Canavan was in possession, fell over and palmed the ball away on the ground. The ref blew for a foul.
    (Disclaimer: this is from memories of watching the game on TV and discussions, may not have gone down exactly as I remember)
    As I remember it was a free out for pickup off ground of ball coming towards him There was strong bobble on the ball and pace it was at would have had to control it soccer style first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

NBTD wrote: »

from what i remember he punched it along the ground instead of palming it. i thought you could punch it rather the palming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yellow50HX wrote: »
    from what i remember he punched it along the ground instead of palming it. i thought you could punch it rather the palming
    you cannot touch the ball on the ground with your hand at all, not the front, back, side, fist or any way at all.
    (a goalie can though in the small box, but only him)

Same when a ball is rolling, its on the ground so cannot be touched.
    Now, if its bouncing then its not on the ground so is grand.
    The grey area is the really small bouncing along the ground, and many refs will not give you the benefit of the doubt.
    Referees sometimes have their little rules of thumb that they go by, i.e. for one ref I was talking to her always pulls for an over the shoulder wierd handpass always being a throwball as theres no was (in his mind) possibility of a striking action which could have happened. And the rolling along the ground (with small bounces) being a similar one with some other refs

oh, and on the original point, thats shocking bad refereeing
    No doubt he would pull for bouncing a load of times before actually catching the ball, which is perfectly allowable and you could bounce basketball stlye the length of the pitch perfectly legally - but a lot dont know this.

• Advertisement

Edit: Sorry someone has the rule staring you can touch it on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

mightyreds wrote: »
    Edit: Sorry someone has the rule staring you can touch it on the ground

you can pay it away if you take it to ground with you but what constitutes taking it to ground and playing it away/how to play it away are unclear and the vast majority of the times refs will blow for a free

slingerz wrote: »
    you can pay it away if you take it to ground with you but what constitutes taking it to ground and playing it away/how to play it away are unclear and the vast majority of the times refs will blow for a free

Yeah its just there for safety of the player if the ball is around his head afaik. I have yet to see a few not given in this position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slingerz wrote: »
    if in doubt, consult the rules!
    When the ball is on the ground, it may be played by any part of the body except the hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the feet.
    Exceptions
    (i) The goalkeeper may play the ball on the ground with his hand(s) inside his own small rectangle.
    (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.
    (iii) The ball may not be lifted off the ground with the knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pdiddy1604

Yeah you can but expect the opposition to look for a free.

Pdiddy1604 wrote: »
    Yeah you can but expect the opposition to look for a free.

And expect the ref to give it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Any referee who gives a free for retrieving a hand-pas that bounces off the ground should be handing back their whistle. I didn't think there was any doubt about the rule, and I'd be shocked to see a qualified referee actually give a free out for it.

The only thing that stops players doing it is that against any decent side you'd be completely poleaxed in the attempt!

elefant wrote: »
    Any referee who gives a free for retrieving a hand-pas that bounces off the ground should be handing back their whistle. I didn't think there was any doubt about the rule, and I'd be shocked to see a qualified referee actually give a free out for it.

The only thing that stops players doing it is that against any decent side you'd be completely poleaxed in the attempt!

Depends what you mean by qualified referee. Lots of people can pass the test but there's a scary amount just turning up for the cash. Had a ref during the year still give a jump ball after a break in play even though we had the ball - that was brought in 3 years ago

We'd one a few year ago give offside for a goal he was def just in it for the cash

Advertisement