Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon area golf - any recent reviews

Options
  • 26-11-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,
    Thinking of returning to the Lisbon area for golf in spring of 2014. We played there about 5 years ago and had a good time. I am wondering has anyone been there more recently and be in a position to provide a review of the courses played?

We played Estoril G.C - nice course, not too long but tricky. Quinta da Peru - very nice, great clubhouse. Penha Longo, top course, long and in great nick at that time. Aroeira 1 - a fine course through a pine forest. Although close to the sea all you can see are the trees and some fancy villas.

The Aroeira and Peru courses were over the "toll bridge" and this we encountered long delays returning to the hotel after the golf. Not sure if this is still the case after 5 years.

Anyway, I'd be delighted to hear of any more recent reviews / recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The best courses in the area that I've played are probably Oitavos and Lisbon Sports Club - two very different styles but both top quality.

I'm a big fan of Penha Longa as well, although you really need a buggy and I prefer to walk if possible. Was sorry to hear that their Irish pro Robert Judd has passed away.

Estoril is sort of quaint - old style course; not in great nick last time I played it but some great holes (and some not so great.)

There are good stay and play deals to be had at Quinta da Marinha and its a nice enough course. I've heard good reports of Belas, but never played it.

All in all its a good spot - more interesting and diverse than the Algarve, with access to Lisbon, Sintra etc. Weather isn't as reliable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TerryOC

Thanks or the update. I agree Penha Longa is a fine course - would certainly return again. I had some lessons years ago with a Tony Judd - he might have been with Forrest Little. I have read that Quinta da Marina is a fine course but as regards staying there is a bit isolated. Aroeira I is well worth playing but as I mentioned traffic was an issue. I have plenty of time to plan.

TerryOC wrote: »
    Thanks or the update. I agree Penha Longa is a fine course - would certainly return again. I had some lessons years ago with a Tony Judd - he might have been with Forrest Little. I have read that Quinta da Marina is a fine course but as regards staying there is a bit isolated. Aroeira I is well worth playing but as I mentioned traffic was an issue. I have plenty of time to plan.

Robert and Tony are/were brothers. Robert went to Portugal a good few years ago. Tony is still at Forrest Little.
    I agree that Quinta da Marinha is a bit isolated - nothing within walking distance so it's taxis everywhere. I prefer to stay in Estoril or Caiscais. You shouldn't have to cross to river to play - enough good courses on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonev

Penha Longa is a must play for me if you are in the lisbon area. Last time we went we also played Oitavos, Belas and Campo Real. Oitavos is good if a little expensive, Belas has a tough start and is also a good course. Campo real was well worth the trip north (on the A8 I think). It's south of Torres Vedras, about 35 mins from Estoril, and was a beautiful course and excellent value for money. It's a couple of years since we've been there but can't wait to go back. As previously said, it's best to stay in Cascais or Estoril

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I was there last year. We stayed in Sesimbra, a gorgeous little fishing village about an hour south of Lisbon. Really nice, family run restaurants, very reasonable and fantastic food. Stay about one street in from the seafront for nicer restaurants !

We played:

Quinta do Peru - really good course. Quick greens, good practice area and helpful staff.

Aroeira 1 & 2 - both super courses. 2 is a lot tougher IMO.

Montado - a good course about an hour away (on the far side of Setubal). Simple enough to get to though, just head out the N10. Its set in amongst vineyards and is a very good test.

FWIW in my opinion the quality of golf and the value, up around Lisbon is far better than down in Villamoura.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    I was there last year. We stayed in Sesimbra, a gorgeous little fishing village about an hour south of Lisbon. Really nice, family run restaurants, very reasonable and fantastic food. Stay about one street in from the seafront for nicer restaurants !

We played:

Quinta do Peru - really good course. Quick greens, good practice area and helpful staff.

Montado - a good course about an hour away (on the far side of Setubal). Simple enough to get to though, just head out the N10. Its set in amongst vineyards and is a very good test.

FWIW in my opinion the quality of golf and the value, up around Lisbon is far better than down in Villamoura.

Thanks, I haven't explored south of the river so maybe next time. Not as handy for the quick trip into Lisbon but it sounds a nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TerryOC

Thanks for the info. We played Quinta da Peru & Aroeira 1 - agree, both well worth playing. I think it is important to stay & play on either north or south of Lisbon. We were there for 4 nights, stayed in Cascais and didn't actually get into Lisbon due to delays returning from Quinta & Aroeira. So, if hotel is in Cascais or Estoril, then Penha Longa, maybeQuinta da Marina, Oitavos & Campo Real will be the courses to look at.

TerryOC wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. We played Quinta da Peru & Aroeira 1 - agree, both well worth playing. I think it is important to stay & play on either north or south of Lisbon. We were there for 4 nights, stayed in Cascais and didn't actually get into Lisbon due to delays returning from Quinta & Aroeira. So, if hotel is in Cascais or Estoril, then Penha Longa, maybeQuinta da Marina, Oitavos & Campo Real will be the courses to look at.

Yeah, a pity not to get into Lisbon. Such an easy run on the train from Cascais or Estoril. With so many course to chose from, it should be possible to organise it so that evenings are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Russman wrote: »

We played:

Hi, thinking of heading to Sesimbra to golf for Augusta Masters week in April. Are there decent bars to watch the golf in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Played Penha Longa, Estoril & Quinta Da Marina in May this year. Enjoyed first two but would not rush back to Q Da Marina, a lot of traffic and it shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

morrga wrote: »
    Hi, thinking of heading to Sesimbra to golf for Augusta Masters week in April. Are there decent bars to watch the golf in the evening?

Not 100% sure tbh. We stayed in the Sana hotel (I think that's what it was called, right on the seafront, really nice). They definitely had tv in the bar as I remember watching Germany hammer us ! Plenty of bars with tv but whether they have sky sports, I've no idea. Sorry I can't be more informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Stayed in the Eden Hotel is Estoril in Nov. which is a lovely hotel and nice and central. Played Estoril, Penha Longha and Aroeria 1. Estoril is a lovely old style course. Penha Longha was very wet when we played and watch out for the price of the buggies (55 Euro).You cant bring the buggies onto the fairway either which makes for a very long round. Aroeria was nice but a long journey. If you want to matches on Sky Sports Oluins in Cascais is a nice bar.

Advertisement