Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche prices?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Im going to have to send my little one off to creche in march (she will be 5 months by then) and i was wondering if people could give me an idea of pricing and their experiences with some of the creches about.

Thanks in advance!!! :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Howdy. What side of the city are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 myvodkalovesme

i live in doughiska but will be working in eyre square and my partner works in newcastle so im open to creches in a variety of areas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I just checked the same thing myself last few weeks and seems to be around €170+ / week, works out at around €700-750 a month. This was for Oranmore area. I was shocked at the cost as I am not from Ireland originally :-). Have heard it is less on the other side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 myvodkalovesme

thanks swe_fi for the info :-) the cost is going to be a huge deciding factor in whether i go back to work full or part time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

maybe try schooldays.ie's childminding forum as well - http://www.schooldays.ie/discussion-cat/Galway%20City%20Childminders. i know it's creche you asked about but just in case... best of luck

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

My two went to Roscam Childcare until they went to school. They are excellent and I have nothing but good to say about them. But like all good crèches they're expensive. But at one stage we were paying a thousand a month for two full time. You could look at a childcarer but I have two sisters who mind kids and they charge €55 a day.

When you start to look at those numbers who have to think can you afford to work full time and have child care. In my case the answer is no even with mine in school. I suspect it's true of a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

I also used Roscam Childcare for my little one when I went back to work. I found they were very expensive but I was happy overall. The girls were nice which was the main thing. The prices are high for the small babies and then I think decrease as your child moves on to the different rooms. Cant remember exactly how much I started off paying put it was definitely 200 Eur per week at least if not more and that was for one (full time)!!! I don't think you can do part time as in half days but can do 2-3 days only well that was what I was told anyways unless they changed their rules on this! Also, take into account that you have to pay for times even when your child is not going to be attending e.g if your on holidays/xmas period/bank holidays etc. however this could be the same in every creche!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

June Bird wrote: »
    however this could be the same in every creche!

It is: if you want them to hold the place for your your child, then you need to pay for the place. Creches are run as businesses, and staff still have to be paid each day.

FWIW: Friends of mine who work in early-childhood-education say they personally would never place a child of their own under 3 in centre-based care. They generally recommend in-home childminders as better for younger children. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think that varies tremendously creche to creche, MrsB. While they all must meet regulations on minder : child ratio, what the minders do with the time they spend with the children ranges from plunking them in front of a tv to a caring, interactive environment.

We had no problems leaving our babies with Naomi's Creche, but many in the area weren't up to the same level. Now on that point, turnover in these places is high. So never choose based on a favourite minder. Pick based on the overall standard of the creche.

On an interesting side note we calculated how much we spent on childcare for our two over the years: €56K! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

I would def agree that the childminders coming into the home would be a better option at that young age however they can be very dear as well!! Another thing to factor in about the creche was that they catch every single thing going! my little one picked up throat infections, scarlet fever, vomiting bug, chcken pox etc etc. which also meant that me and my other half had to take lots of time off and sort out family members to help us out with child minding as you couldnt send them in sick and on antibiotics. I never really thought of that side of things before I used the creche as I never had to go to doc for anything other than jabs the baby had never been sick at all. But apparently its not all that bad cause they are going to pick these things up anyway whether it is now as baby in creche or later when they start pre-school/school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

HSE inspection reports on all the Galway creche's are posted on pobal.ie, more details here:

http://maps.pobal.ie/Documents/How%20To%20Access%20HSE%20Inspection%20Reports%20via%20Pobal%20Maps.pdf

Makes for interesting reading. We have one child in Mervue (Little acorn) and one child in Roscam, no real issues with either. Would recommend Roscam but it is more expensive.

All the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

It is: if you want them to hold the place for your your child, then you need to pay for the place. Creches are run as businesses, and staff still have to be paid each day.

For others reading this, just for clarity - it is not the same for every creche. Some don't apply this rule, or they have a reduced cost. I know because I researched this extensively in the last few weeks.

I don't buy this line of "It is run as a business so you have to pay when you are not there" so went with one where you don't have to pay for the holiday.

Advertisement