Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching family members of tenants / landlords

Options
  • 26-11-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I was wondering if there was any law that prohibits either landlords approaching family members of their tenants over issues arising from the tenancy or tenants approaching family members of their landlords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Harrassment laws I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

djimi wrote: »
    Harrassment laws I would have thought.

Not if the person being approached doesn't objected to being approached.

I wonder is this a case of the tenant not paying the rent and the landlord threatening to approach or actually approachng the parent about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

I know when it comes to things like if you have a credit agreement with a store whereby you pay off an item, the store cannot contact a 3rd party regarding the agreement.

Was wondering if the same applied to the contract agreement in this instance.

And no its not to do with non payment of rent.
    The rent is fully paid up in this matter.
    Its to do with terminating the lease as per the RTA and there being issues with the house being vacated. This issues were painted over, covered up with new flooring before this tenant moved in. They had been told that new flooring and the walls being painted were down to the bad previous tenant.
    However after only a month in the house it was acknowledged by the LL that they were there before the tenant ever moved in.
    Now they have moved out, the 'damage' is being laid at the feet of the this tenant. Even though the poor drainage/leaky pipework caused the damp floors and the flooring to swell/rot. The tenant has no problem with the LL going to the PRTB over this however they do not want the LL approaching family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why would he? What's he hoping to achieve? It's got nothing to do with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MariMel wrote: »
    I was wondering if there was any law that prohibits either landlords approaching family members of their tenants over issues arising from the tenancy or tenants approaching family members of their landlords?

Data protection act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    Data protection act?

That and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno about "privacy" ... that's not a law, data protectin is.

The one about libel (I dunno what it's called) may be more helpful ..

Advertisement