Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIS in UCC - Mature Student

• 26-11-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I am definitely looking to return to college next year as a mature student and I am really unsure of going for BIS or Commerce.
    I have an interest in management and was thinking that commerce would definitely be the way to go. I have heard from people though, that BIS is an excellent course in terms of job opportunities you will get once you have graduated and to have a think about doing BIS instead.
    I do have an interest in computers and IT and do have a basic enough knowledge with both. I am worried however when it comes to things like programming as I have no previous experience or knowledge of programming am thinking it will be too tough. Is programming easy too grasp with a lot of hard work? I am slightly worried that the course will be too "technical" for me.
    I have worked full time with computers for the last three years since I was 20 (although this was just a technical support, call centre type job) and have enjoyed it, but again, I have not gained any experience when it comes to things like programming or web development and that makes me worried applying for this course.
    IT is a big part for a lot of business's these days and it just seems the smart thing to would be for me to study BIS to allow me get the best possible opportunities when I graduate, I don't however want to make a mistake and be sitting in UCC next year regretting that I just didn't do commerce.
    I apologise about this thread as I have just realised I have been rambling on and it might not be easy to give me any advice from the info I have given, however if anyone has any info or advice for me in general on the course and what it entails I would really appreciate it as I don't know anyone who has previously done this course that I can ask questions to.
    Thanks again! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Gooners37 wrote: »
    Hi, I am definitely looking to return to college next year as a mature student and I am really unsure of going for BIS or Commerce.
    I have an interest in management and was thinking that commerce would definitely be the way to go. I have heard from people though, that BIS is an excellent course in terms of job opportunities you will get once you have graduated and to have a think about doing BIS instead.
    I do have an interest in computers and IT and do have a basic enough knowledge with both. I am worried however when it comes to things like programming as I have no previous experience or knowledge of programming am thinking it will be too tough. Is programming easy too grasp with a lot of hard work? I am slightly worried that the course will be too "technical" for me.
    I have worked full time with computers for the last three years since I was 20 (although this was just a technical support, call centre type job) and have enjoyed it, but again, I have not gained any experience when it comes to things like programming or web development and that makes me worried applying for this course.
    IT is a big part for a lot of business's these days and it just seems the smart thing to would be for me to study BIS to allow me get the best possible opportunities when I graduate, I don't however want to make a mistake and be sitting in UCC next year regretting that I just didn't do commerce.
    I apologise about this thread as I have just realised I have been rambling on and it might not be easy to give me any advice from the info I have given, however if anyone has any info or advice for me in general on the course and what it entails I would really appreciate it as I don't know anyone who has previously done this course that I can ask questions to.
    Thanks again! :D

because of your experience you may be eligible for a masters course in ebusiness/ISBP or at least not too far off- if you can sell the experience enough u cud get in. Consult careers advice in UCC, perhaps 5 years is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

Hi I'm a mature student doing BIS. I had no experience of programming or web development before I started and although it is difficult everything is taught from the very basics so if you put the effort in you'll be fine. Most of the people who've just done their leaving also won't have much experience with it so you'll probably be ahead of them in terms of knowledge going by your background. It's a great course with very varied modules. If you are thinking of applying it would do no harm to have a look at html and visual basic as it'll stand to you when places are being distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gooners37

Thanks to both of ye for the responses. Dave47 I don't think I'd be eligible for a course in ebusiness/ISBP but will definitely take your advice on consulting careers advice.

@Paintitblack Thanks for that, am a bit less worried about that aspect of the course now. I have an ok understanding of HTML but would definitely look into it a bit further if is necessary in the application procedure. Could I ask you what the application procedure is like for BIS as a mature student, as in interviews/exams you did etc? Is it a hard course to be accepted for as I understand that there are only 6 places available for mature students this year. Sorry for the questions, just really want to get the course and really do appreciate any help/feedback you could provide me with in regards applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

I applied through the cao and then got called for an interview. There was no exam. The interview was tough but fair but if you've shown an interest and tried a bit of programing and have a look at the other modules I reckon you'll stand a good chance. I'd highly recommend the course from my experiences so far, any further questions PM me

PM'D you, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Gooners37 wrote: »

Just thought I'd weigh in on this as, I'm currently in final year Commerce, majoring in management having applied as a mature student.

I don't have any official statistics, but I do know around 50% of the people I've chatted to out of my year, if not more, have signed graduate contracts coming out of their third year placement... So if job opportunities are the only thing pushing you towards BIS I'd give Commerce another think!

That being said, I did the IS modules available in 1st - 3rd year, and (although I found them tough enough!) from talking to BIS students what we cover in Commerce is limited to say the least, so if you have a very strong interest in this aspect as your previous experience suggests, that could be a mark against the Commerce curriculum!

TG1 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd weigh in on this as, I'm currently in final year Commerce, majoring in management having applied as a mature student.

I don't have any official statistics, but I do know around 50% of the people I've chatted to out of my year, if not more, have signed graduate contracts coming out of their third year placement... So if job opportunities are the only thing pushing you towards BIS I'd give Commerce another think!

That being said, I did the IS modules available in 1st - 3rd year, and (although I found them tough enough!) from talking to BIS students what we cover in Commerce is limited to say the least, so if you have a very strong interest in this aspect as your previous experience suggests, that could be a mark against the Commerce curriculum!

Have my CAO filled out and and have BIS down as my first choice and commerce down as second. There is only six mature student places available for BIS and 20 for commerce so could easily end up doing commerce (if I'm lucky enough to get one of them!)

Thanks for the reply tho makes me feel a bit more at ease incase I don't get BIS that I'd still be happy with commerce.

One question tho just before I send the CAO off, did you do commerce with a language? Is there much point or a major advantage of having the language? Have a bit of French but not too keen on learning another language fluently…The only one I think would really be beneficial for me would be Chinese and Id prefer not to have to learn that fluently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I did the straight BComm as I've no head for languages, a few of the graduate employers are looking for a second language, and any I've talked to have said its definitely an advantage to have one on the CV when applying, but only one or two actually list it as compulsory... If I was back filling out my CAO now I'd probably have braved a language just for that reason...

We had a few classes with the international Comms in first year and I know a few of the girls were saying Chinese was tough enough, but that it was taught well if that's any use!

Best of luck with it all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dave47 wrote: »
    because of your experience you may be eligible for a masters course in ebusiness/ISBP or at least not too far off- if you can sell the experience enough u cud get in. Consult careers advice in UCC, perhaps 5 years is required

There is a BIS Masters as well if you consider that Op.

Advertisement