Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas day swim

Options
  • 26-11-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Would anyone be interested in doing the xmas day swim in aid of the galway simon community this year?
    Alls it involves is trying to raise a few bob and turning up on the day at blackrock diving boards in salthill from 10.00 -11.00.
    As an added bonus we have TOMMY TIERNAN doing it with us this year :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

D it every year!

Goal mile run first, then out to salthill for the swim.

Great start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rufs

Ya its great way ta wake up haha, this is my 4th year doing it all yr round...love it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I do it every year and have been doing so for many years. I'm far from stinge (I volunteer and raise money for various charities) but I (and many others) can't stand how various charities have jumped on this bandwagon.

I once raised money for a Galway charity by doing the swim (I was doing it anyway, why not raise some money) and they've been plaguing me ever since, yet when you offer your actual volunteer services they're not so interested.... all about the $$$ these days.

I'm not knocking the charities for trying (fair play to them), but it's a pain in the hole when i'm just trying to go for a dip and I get a money bucket being shaken in my face. Even worse when the family who come down for a look get the same treatment. I'd have much less of a problem with this if they just have a few buckets at the prom as you enter Blackrock, rather than walking around within the crowds wrecking peoples heads.

We wont be at the swim with buckets or collecting at all on the day, just wondering if people would like to sell a few lines on a sponsorship card.
    I myself swim everyday all year round and have done for four years and im well aware of the feelings of the regular swimmers in relation to bucket collectors on the day so i can understand your views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cope Galway will also be doing their 24th annual Christmas Day swim which takes place on Wednesday 25 December at Blackrock from 10am to 1pm

http://www.copegalway.ie/swim

That's good they won't overlap. Twice the chance to shake those cobwebs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are two homeless service providers competing with each other for attention :confused:

Hardly for attention, and not competing either just two organisations trying to raise funds for the same cause

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Tommy Tiernan added bonus?

Yep...tommy is doing it with us !!!!

Advertisement