Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA: San Andreas

Options
  • 26-11-2013 7:14pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Coming next month - San Andreas

I have to say I bought the previous two but didn't really put much time into them. After the initial "Yay, it's GTA on my phone" the appeal quickly wears off due to the controls mainly. There's only so much they can do with the controls that I'd doubt this will be much better.

Did anyone put any serious time into the previous games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure that they really work on mobile devices. I got GTA 3 (I think?) a few months ago and didn't play it for more than half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Same here, picked up GTA 3 in one of the sales but it never really clicked, I tried on a mobile and tablet but the controls just didn't seem to work on either, it become boring very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I got a lot of play out of Vice City. I didnt like GTA 3 at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I don't have any of these but think I read that San Andreas will have controller support - that would really sell it to me, would like to play on my Nexus 7 using a Xbox for Windows controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭steve_r

The controls are insanely frustrating for the ports of these games.
    It's a real shame, as I think everything else is handled perfectly.

Controller support would be great, not sure I can be bothered bringing the controller with me tho.

SA has so much to it in comparison with GTA 3 and VC, that I would really recommend it.

• Advertisement

are there any good bluetooth android game controllers out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's an app you can get that lets you use your android phone as a bluetooth controller for another android device (I also had a tablet). Thought it'd be great but there was button lag when I went to use it, enough to put you off playing.

I had GTA3 and Vice City on my tablet but can't be bothered with this even though San Andreas is my favourite GTA game. The controls are a mess, it's not worth putting more than an hour or two into.

I mean a bluetooth gamepad.
    Stuff like this.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4001278/best-controllers-for-your-smartphone-android-or-ios

Might make playing GTA actually properly playable on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

San Andreas has been out on the Irish App Store since midnight, no mention of the Playstore or Windows Store yet but should be in the coming days/weeks.

It cost me €6.99 which I happily paid, and been playing it the last while and loving it. Haven't played it in years, and after fully completing GTA 3 and Vice City on iOS i'm looking forward to getting stuck into this. I'm a huge GTA fan so loving it so far.

DubDJ wrote: »
    San Andreas has been out on the Irish App Store since midnight, no mention of the Playstore or Windows Store yet but should be in the coming days/weeks.

It cost me €6.99 which I happily paid, and been playing it the last while and loving it. Haven't played it in years, and after fully completing GTA 3 and Vice City on iOS i'm looking forward to getting stuck into this. I'm a huge GTA fan so loving it so far.

cool, how do you find the controls?
    Does it require the latest iOS? Sorry I can't check myself at the moment

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    cool, how do you find the controls?
    Does it require the latest iOS? Sorry I can't check myself at the moment

Controls are actually a bit messy, you can't seem to customise bike controls separately to car controls. I haven't found a way to customise it as well as the previous two games before, e.g. being able to drag the buttons to the positions you want

It requires iOS 4.3 or later, and you need an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or iPod (5th Gen) or newer to be able to play. iPhone 4 users will probably be annoyed, it's one of the first times it's been left out if a major release on iOS. Just shows that it's showing its age.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Controls are actually a bit messy, you can't seem to customise bike controls separately to car controls. I haven't found a way to customise it as well as the previous two games before, e.g. being able to drag the buttons to the positions you want

It requires iOS 4.3 or later, and you need an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or iPod (5th Gen) or newer to be able to play. iPhone 4 users will probably be annoyed, it's one of the first times it's been left out if a major release on iOS. Just shows that it's showing its age.

K I'll give it a lash when I get home. All excited now with this and The Room 2 out the same day!

Hopefully the iPad can handle it

Downloaded this last night. It looks a bit blurry but tbf I'm playing it on an old system so its very likely that it looks sharp on new devices.

Steers like a f*cking pig tho!

Rockstar got ht econtrols right for the iOS version of Max Payne but not here.....

Still, €6 for of the greatest games of all time, with a huge variety of missions

steve_r wrote: »
    Downloaded this last night. It looks a bit blurry but tbf I'm playing it on an old system so its very likely that it looks sharp on new devices.

Steers like a f*cking pig tho!

Rockstar got ht econtrols right for the iOS version of Max Payne but not here.....

Still, €6 for of the greatest games of all time, with a huge variety of missions

Yeah driving is really difficult compared to the last two, even walking is a bit difficult, he keeps stopping on me when I'm moving, I'm not sure why, probably my finger moving off the edge of the screen.

I found out how to move the controls around on the screen in the end, so it's a lot better having it a bit more customised now. Still a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Still no sign of android release for ireland. I dont understand why its able to be released in the usa but not here

Still no sign of android release for ireland. I dont understand why its able to be released in the usa but not here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

To me that always automatically implies permission to pirate it and deny them my money, some day they'll learn.

The controls are a complete mess anyway, its actually unplayable, you might be able to get by eventually a radio controlled mission will get you. Im keeping an eye on Dealextreme and the other bargain sites for a cheap Android controller and Ill post if I find one, its basically mandatory here. Im going to get one then play through GTA III, VC and SA in order.

I got through gta 3 and VC no problem with the controls. Probably did better on mobile than i did all those years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

This is available in Play Store now.
    Has anyone bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yep, playing it on a nexus 7 2012, runs sweet, controls are a bit fiddly. It looks as good as the PC version, mind you If always thought it was the most hideous of the GTA games, giraffe necked characters with heads that are different colors to the bodies !

• Advertisement

Nice, I have the 2012 N7 myself and an N5, but I don't really see me loading it on the phone.

I can imagine Zero's RC missions being a right pain in the hoop with bad controls. Not to mention driving school and flight school :pac:

I think I'll connect my ps3 contoller to it, so I don't end up throwing it out the window!

Still not available on the note 2

adamski8 wrote: »
    Still not available on the note 2

That's weird, it's listed as a supported device on the R* support website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN, CJ!

Played through SA last year (was cheap on Steam) so cba getting it for my phone. That said, bombing it along on a PCJ600 that's blasting out some Toto while on the bog would be great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

Be nice to hear a review on this if anyone has one since OP.

Be nice to hear a review on this if anyone has one since OP.

Generally works ok for me, few small glitches here and there but nothing major. I've played and 100% competed the two previous GTA's on my iPad so comparing them to San Andreas I'd say SA is probably the glitch(iest) of the lot. Still grand for playing, it's smooth enough and plenty of gameplay in it so well worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

GTA 3 & Vice City ran smoothly on my iPad 3. But San Adreas has started getting choppy since updating to iOS 8. Still a great game though!

Advertisement