Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening as a career?

• 26-11-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I don't really know where to start but gardening is a job that has always appealed to me, the outdoors, being close to nature etc. relative solitude and just being able to get a job done without too many meetings etc.

So I'm really just wondering is it something you think could be a career for me? I mean that in terms of, is there enough work to get by on outdoor maintenance alone? Or would it nearly always be supplemented? I assumed it depends on how built up one's customer base is/reputation.

I am also interested in the theory of landscaping, as I understand it, planning out spaces to maximise their aesthetic/functional impact.

There is a course in horticulture I've been looking at for a while, because I don't have very much experience or knowledge in the area. I don't know the value of a course over say, just doing as much gardening as you can.

Basically any information on the field (ouch-pun) I'd appreciate hearing, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jimmy,

Gardening is a very rewarding career.

It could take you some time to become established 1-3 years before you have a full client book.

Nothing beats experience to a point, however, to get that experience you would need to work for a very good, very knowledgable gardener (which are few and far between) most guys I know of just want to strim and mow, they aren't particularly interested in plants, although that might differ depending where you are in the country.

A formal college course is a very good idea too, it will give you a lot of plant knowledge and be a great help.

Initial financial outlay can be on the high side if you want to get going quickly, you would need a vehicle obviously, relevant insurance, and a fair bit of equipment.

Any more you need to know, by all means pm me I can also point you towards a website that could help a lot.

All the best in what you end up doing.

M.

Oh yes,

Landscaping in my eyes is more the construction of the overall impressions/ideas of a garden designer.

Wheter you want to be a designer or landscaper they are two very different things, design firstly requires a flair/artistic eye and college courses are fairly mandatory.

Landscaping is basically building work but for the garden, so again a lot of kit to purchase, landscapers tend not to do landscaping and gardening because you would need a large lorry for the two lots of gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Jimmy,

Gardening is a very rewarding career.

It could take you some time to become established 1-3 years before you have a full client book.

Nothing beats experience to a point, however, to get that experience you would need to work for a very good, very knowledgable gardener (which are few and far between) most guys I know of just want to strim and mow, they aren't particularly interested in plants, although that might differ depending where you are in the country.

A formal college course is a very good idea too, it will give you a lot of plant knowledge and be a great help.

Initial financial outlay can be on the high side if you want to get going quickly, you would need a vehicle obviously, relevant insurance, and a fair bit of equipment.

Any more you need to know, by all means pm me I can also point you towards a website that could help a lot.

All the best in what you end up doing.

M.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it! The biggest blocker I was thinking would be that initial starting period. I suppose ideally I would like to work for someone else first that way I could put money towards things myself gradually (all assuming a become more knowledgeable, having the qualification might help).

Yes, I am interested in the plants side of things so again learning about them would be good. I can't imagine myself in an office again so it would be almost a dream job for me.

I'll take you up on that PM offer sometime, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Oh yes,

Landscaping in my eyes is more the construction of the overall impressions/ideas of a garden designer.

Wheter you want to be a designer or landscaper they are two very different things, design firstly requires a flair/artistic eye and college courses are fairly mandatory.

Landscaping is basically building work but for the garden, so again a lot of kit to purchase, landscapers tend not to do landscaping and gardening because you would need a large lorry for the two lots of gear!

:confused:

This is a very inaccurate and confusing statement. Landscaping is very much the creation of new gardens/remodelling existing gardens and typically involving all garden elements ie hard (building) and soft (planting) landscaping.

:confused:

This is a very inaccurate and confusing statement. Landscaping is very much the creation of new gardens/remodelling existing gardens and typically involving all garden elements ie hard (building) and soft (planting) landscaping.

Oh don't start, you know full well what I mean, and just quoting a chunk of my post makes it look confusing.

I would also argue that soft landscaping rarely comes under the remit of landscapers and would more traditionally be done by a gardener.

I may have slightly oversimplified my explanation earlier but I thin the op understood perfectly what I meant.

Oh and for the record I have never in my life trusted a landscaper to put so much as a pansy in the ground for me.

Builder vs gardener like I said originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

have to say same here, what I have seen of "landscaping" lacks imagination with landscaped gardens having very similar plant content. A real garden takes years to make and reflects the head gardeners tastes. :P A horticultural qualification does not mean you are a gardener. A question I would ask a landscaper (if I were to employ one) is do you have a mature garden and can I see it.

Oldtree wrote: »
    have to say same here, what I have seen of "landscaping" lacks imagination with landscaped gardens having very similar plant content. A real garden takes years to make and reflects the head gardeners tastes. :P A horticultural qualification does not mean you are a gardener. A question I would ask a landscaper (if I were to employ one) is do you have a mature garden and can I see it.

Although I also distinguish between designer and landscaper.

But very true what old tree says too.

Oh don't start, you know full well what I mean, and just quoting a chunk of my post makes it look confusing.

I would also argue that soft landscaping rarely comes under the remit of landscapers and would more traditionally be done by a gardener.

I may have slightly oversimplified my explanation earlier but I thin the op understood perfectly what I meant.

Oh and for the record I have never in my life trusted a landscaper to put so much as a pansy in the ground for me.

You're clearly speaking from very limited experience and little knowledge of the landscaping profession. But who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey OP,

I was you four and a half years ago. At the age of 32 I had an epipheny and decided that I needed a carrer change and that carrer was horticulture. I enrolled in the Bsc degree in horticulture in Blanchardstown and graduated earlier this month. I've been very lucky and have managed to get a great job in a good company.

The way I look at my degree is that it is a basis on which to learn because in Horticulture you never stop learning. My plan is to stay where I am for 3/4 years before going out on my own. I feel it will take that long until I am a compitant horticulturist. It's a long hard road but so worth it, being a gardener is a dream job and I look forward to every day.

There are many, many landscapers out there that are basically builders doing work in the garden. I do no hard landscaping and my work is purely plant based. To do this compitantly you will need a qualification.

Oldtree wrote: »

All I would say is you need to get out more and explore what is going on around you. To suggest a 'real' garden takes years to make , and similarly your broad stroke criticisms of landscaped gardens are naïve.

There are huge range of factors which influence what homeowners require in a garden, oddly enough, time is often a consideration, and when it arises it is because few are willing to 'wait years' for the garden to develop.

Finally Oldtree, just to say 'eaten bread is soon forgotten' or is 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' more appropriate and I'll leave at that.

• Advertisement

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Hey OP,

I was you four and a half years ago. At the age of 32 I had an epipheny and decided that I needed a carrer change and that carrer was horticulture. I enrolled in the Bsc degree in horticulture in Blanchardstown and graduated earlier this month. I've been very lucky and have managed to get a great job in a good company.

The way I look at my degree is that it is a basis on which to learn because in Horticulture you never stop learning. My plan is to stay where I am for 3/4 years before going out on my own. I feel it will take that long until I am a compitant horticulturist. It's a long hard road but so worth it, being a gardener is a dream job and I look forward to every day.

There are many, many landscapers out there that are basically builders doing work in the garden. I do no hard landscaping and my work is purely plant based. To do this compitantly you will need a qualification.

Do you mean Monty Don needs to do a qualification in order to be competent gardener?

I wish you luck with your endeavours with plants only, you will need all the luck you can get, especially in the close season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

It's a great job working at a leisurely pace :) but pain in the arse when it's raining and no money coming in and your busting your hump all day to make a few quid ,I'd say if you asked any gardener he would gladly swap for a job in in the warmth of an office :) good luck with what ever you do

Do you mean Monty Don needs to do a qualification in order to be competent gardener?

I wish you luck with your endeavours with plants only, you will need all the luck you can get, especially in the close season?

No, of course not, but for somebody like myself coming at it with no previous experience it has provided a foot into the door of a company that looks after the finest gardens in the city. I'm flat out now and will be all through December, I've no work in January because I'm the last in the door but my colleagues will be flat out then. I'm happy to take the month off for a well deserved trip to Thailand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Really appreciate the insights everyone. Giving me a bit to think about so thanks!

You're clearly speaking from very limited experience and little knowledge of the landscaping profession. But who cares?

Funny that because for many years I ran a very successful garden maintenance and garden design company so liased with landscapers on a weekly basis, I never employed my own because I had good relationships with 4 very good companies.

I am a qualified horticulturalist and garden designer.

Oh, and you obviously care methinks.

You just seem to be picking on people who know what they are talking about, myself, oldtree and andy.

I don't think Monty Don would benefit from a qualification because he thinks he knows it all and in his case he most cwertainly doesn't he is very limited, and like I said before is a television presenter first and foremost.

Alot of Monty's advice is questionable at best, he doesn't understand enough to explain it clearly either.

Most PROPER gardeners don't need landscaping to fill the winter, and most landscapers wouldn't be able to do half the jobs in winter anyway.

I think you should get more of a grasp of what gardeners actually do rather than poo poo it out of hand and make snide comments.

Funny that because for many years I ran a very successful garden maintenance and garden design company so liased with landscapers on a weekly basis, I never employed my own because I had good relationships with 4 very good companies.

I am a qualified horticulturalist and garden designer.

Oh, and you obviously care methinks.

I couldn't give a monkeys about who you are and even less about garden maintenance - the lowest bar of entry into the garden world.

You just seem to be picking on people who know what they are talking about, myself, oldtree and andy.

I don't think Monty Don would benefit from a qualification because he thinks he knows it all and in his case he most cwertainly doesn't he is very limited, and like I said before is a television presenter first and foremost.

Alot of Monty's advice is questionable at best, he doesn't understand enough to explain it clearly either.

Most PROPER gardeners don't need landscaping to fill the winter, and most landscapers wouldn't be able to do half the jobs in winter anyway.

I have been a professional gardener and designer for some years, that is how I was able to semi retire to Ireland and buy a waterfront property in one of the most expensive areas during the boom, but I'm not bragging just explaining that I have done ok thank you very much on gardening alone, and not a paving slab in sight lol.

I think you should get more of a grasp of what gardeners actually do rather than poo poo it out of hand and make snide comments.

Sad really. Why did I bother?:o I hope the seagulls fly upside down wherever you are!

I culdn't give a monkeys about who you are and even less about garden maintenance - the lowest bar of entry into the garden world.

It all depends on the gardens that you are maintaining doesn't it. Its my day to day work and it involves having a broad knowledge of plants that is needed to maintain amazing gardens at a very high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

If anyone is serious in going into Horticulture as source of employment.

Have a different Trade to fall back into in the event your business fails to take off or to fill in the quite periods.

The one bit of advice I heard and heeded 25 years ago from a successful Fruit Grower/Farmer&Plumber.

As Pointed out already most horticultural areas are Seasonal...

Best of Luck to all that chooses this path.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    It all depends on the gardens that you are maintaining doesn't it. Its my day to day work and it involves having a broad knowledge of plants that is needed to maintain amazing gardens at a very high level.

Whatever you do, do well and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Oh I quite like Monty at least he isn't trying to sell you something that you can make up yourself or don't really need unlike Titchmarch. Too many of the garden shows with professional designers are product placements rather than gardening.

Oh I quite like Monty at least he isn't trying to sell you something that you can make up yourself or don't really need unlike Titchmarch. Too many of the garden shows with professional designers are product placements rather than gardening.

Perhaps if monty actually gave advice worth listening to then I might feel differently, as it is he doesn't even understand the advice he is giving in the first place.

Also you only have to look at his garden it is a blooming mess, oh yes I just remebered, who in their right mind puts a pond in a flood plain?

Perhaps if monty actually gave advice worth listening to then I might feel differently, as it is he doesn't even understand the advice he is giving in the first place.

Also you only have to look at his garden it is a blooming mess, oh yes I just remebered, who in their right mind puts a pond in a flood plain?

Talk is cheap so its high time you demonstrated some credentials and posted some pics of gardens you've created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A horticultural qualification is nearly essential to show the customers that you are sufficiently trained but even a FETAC course would be enough.
    "The Principles of Horticulture" and "The RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening" are two essential books for you to get if you have any intention of getting into this line. These must become your 'bible' for horticulture and contain just about everything you'll need relating to plants.
    Seek employment with an established contractor first; you can learn much more from a good operator without having to make the mistakes yourself.

Establishing yourself isn't easy - people usually stick with the same operator and making a name for yourself can be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

OP-if you have a interest go for it.
    i do gardening and landscaping part time for about the last 15years just for the extra cash.
    i havent any papers at all just expierence,never been asked by any customer for a cert but i would recommend if you havent done a lot in the past that a fetac level4 in horticulture would be a great start and if you like that do a level5.

dont be put off by anyone saying it would be a hard business to get into thats just bull,any business will be slow to start off at no matter what you doing unless you figured a way to make gold ;)
    any time i get low on work i get a heap of leaflets made up and hit every house i see always drums up work,,one leaflet got me nearly a years work.

there is good money in all aspects of horticulture it all depends what you put in yourself.

i hope this helps and you go for it,sometimes you do get a ****ty rainyy day but the sunny ones make up for it.

Advertisement