Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Four

• 26-11-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Howdi,

This is not going to be a daily blog as I don't quite have the time for that. I can barely keep my own site updated monthly but I've learnt a lot from others on here, got some great advice and now that I'm coaching myself can perhaps offer to give some back through my various sessions and training approach adopted ahead for 2014.

Background:

No single sport (does snooker count?), went to gym a few times a week but never got into the weights enough to want glamour muscles, would do the odd spin class or treadmill run or breaststroke swim basically with a small bit of basic weights before I’d get bored.

In 2010 one of the guys in work brought up triathlon in the form of a challenge for charity, I was on the hunt for a bike to work scheme and that left the swim and run to learn. I was rubbish at front crawl, 2 lengths and I was out of breath just couldn’t get it right. Got a couple lessons from gym instructor and gradually managed to keep going without coughing up a lung. To be honest, not much though, I was comfortable doing breast-stroke but just couldn’t maintain front crawl at all!

Similar story with run, 15mins and out of breath no matter what pace I was going at. Gradually managed to extend this.

Fast forward to my first triathlon at Focus Ireland, August 2010 and I swam 65% breaststroke as still couldn’t do front crawl the whole distance (sprint tri). Nearly 21 minutes to complete the 750m and onto bike I went. Completed it and was hooked, did 3 more sprints in next 4 weeks and season was ending so no more left.

2011 – Addicted, circa 10-12 hours avg per week, started with Abu Dhabi Short Course (30th present to myself), did NS and a firm MOP finisher - average 100 odd place or so with a swim firmly back of pack.

2012 – A bit more dedication, avg 14 hours per week, joined B2R Academy in January and made significant progress up to top 20 or so of each race – close to top 10 but not quite there bar the odd race.

2013 – B2R again, avg 16hrs per week, progress into Top 10, podium and odd win (uncompetitive). Focus on 70.3 mainly.

2014 is hopefully the next step but more so in terms of performing better over 70.3 and prepping for Ironman.

Long term Goal is to qualify for Kona. I’ve been patiently holding back on ironman until I’ve enough fitness to try be competitive. I see the end of this season as a chance to open my account and have a taster hopefully.

I'm an athlete that needs to understand and buy in to what I'm doing, why, when etc. I analyse, too much at times but ultimately that is what drives part of me in my pursuit to be as fast as I can be.

If I feel something is needed to change I do it. I listen to my body, I react to how it feels and performs and I've learnt a lot of this from my previous coach, Eanna McGrath of B2R.

I left B2R for a change in lifestyle, convenience, training approach and cost.
    UCD is around the corner from work. Literally the best pool in the country hands down.
    Loving the 50m. I've more freedom now, can actually train more due to less commuting and have a good bunch of fellow triathletes around to train with.

I feel I'm now at a level where I need to stimulate better progress through increased volume, increased strength and conditioning, and increased training at different intensities.
    I felt this would be easiest and best done on my own and nearer work/home and that is working out well for me.
    I also want to train more to see how I respond, see if I can take more volume, see if I can apply it smart and sensibly to stay strong and increase aerobic fitness.

That being said, I want to push my limits, work hard and find new levels. I don’t think Triathlon is rocket science. It’s such an honest sport, those that train hardest generally reap benefits perhaps with some fine tuning on top. Consistency wins. That requires dedication and hard work.

This is my approach to 2014 and trying to get up to the level of the regular domestic podium guys.

Race Goals:

A - Irish National 70.3 Champs - Lost Sheep – August

Epic Course, Epic Race, 5th in 2013 and aiming to better that.

B - Mallorca 70.3 – May

This is currently now looking unlikely. Found out at weekend date clashes with cousins wedding. No other early season race appeals to me (have looked at the lot) and this one was helping motivation a lot.
    Revising plans at moment to see alternatives that float my boat.
    ETU Middle Dist Champs a possible if venue ever announced, Challenge Barca/Austria 70.3 the obvious replacements but don’t appeal to me as much as Mallorca at present.
    Possible swap in goals would see C goal move to B, and Kilkee Oly NC added as C goal.

C - Mallorca IM – September

Can’t get ironman out of my head. Roth is high on my agenda but gonna wait for 2015 for that.
    Want to focus on 70.3 and better fitness then finish with Ironman at end of season as a first crack at distance. Will be pacing as best I can.
    Mentally deciding to do this has increased my motivation. It’s fascinating how much of this game is psychological in my opinion.

D – Fun – National Series & National Championships Races May-June.

My approach to the 2014 race season is to have fun by competing in the National Series early season, compete in most of the National Champs, peak for Lost Sheep and finish the season with my first Ironman 4 weeks later.

How will I train? Well, primarily with similar structure used for 2013 and a 70.3 focus, except with my own addition of volume, mixture of intensity I feel works best for me and some IM work so I know I can cope with the distance (hopefully).
    I will be racing the ironman on the back of 70.3 fitness, but with enough endurance I hope to cope and see me through the IM.
    Do I have an ironman goal? Of course. Kona qualy is my long term goal. Hard to have any real targets for first attempt at distance but I won’t be out to plod around, and will be planning and pacing on a strong performance and if I blow so be it.
    Can’t compare times or Kona qual times for Mallorca as it’s a new ironman race and a hilly course. It’s prob safe to say it’s not gonna be a record breaking course with the hills there no doubt...

Jan/Feb/Mar will prob see me race Dungarvan 10mile (59:15 last year) and a couple sprint duathlons. Edit Dungarvan now sold out before I entered so hoping for a cancel need to email organisers!

Debating the Duathlon Champs in April,May skip through using April as big Endurance block will depend how next couple blocks go..

Complete 4 NS races then to end of June and take 8 weeks off racing focussing on last build block for Lost Sheep peak, and try carry that into Mallorca IM 4 weeks later.

Possible calendar:

Jan - 10 Miler
    Feb/Mar – Sprint duathlons
    Apr – Duathlon NC
    May-June – 4 x NS (Athy, Crooked Lake NC, Dunmore East, Kilkee NC)
    Jul-Aug – Zero. 6wk build for peak
    End Aug – Lost Sheep NC
    Sep – Mallorca IM

It's a slightly strange approach. I'm prob more suited to the middle/longer distance but I feel I've unfinished business at domestic level.
    I haven't given the NS a good shot in a while. I've missed the domestic races and fun that comes with.
    I may not be competitive at the short distances but still enjoy them and want to give them a shot, whilst using them as my faster sessions basically in what will be relatively high volume weeks as I focus on 70.3 and IM later in the year.

I've been back training about 5 weeks. First couple exercising, now back into proper structure and this week should see circa 22 hours in my last big week before recovery.

Ironically, I've spent the last few weeks sacrificing the bike and doing very low bike volume. It's felt alien. It hasn't felt good.
    I've added in a bit more now but I'm still sacrificing the long weekly 4hour in favour of a 2.5hr followed by brick 1hr+ run off.
    Why? Because swim and run are my weaknesses, I want to increase volume steadily now and that means prioritising these over long bikes.

I feel I can maintain intensity and hard sessions on bike, and add the endurance back in from January.
    Almost a reverse periodisation, but it's an experiment I want to make until I'm happy my swim/run is making the progress it needs.
    I also feel this will enable me to peak for Aug/Sept by somewhat deferring my aerobic endurance kick off phase. Maybe this is psychological, we shall see.

So far, my run is definitely improved. My volume is up. My strength and conditioning is up. I'm not doing speed work yet until I'm happy I can cope with the increased volume/frequency consistently and will then be able to adjust intensity. Last week was my biggest run week of 70km with more this week.

Will post up sessions as I can.

As stated this week is my big week before recovery next week (wk 4) and then FTP test in Week 1 and 400m TT also. Should be embarrassingly interesting. My watts are way down and I know it.
    50m Pool is slower (circa 3-4secs per 100m). Not to mention my fitness is below par. Gotta love November...

I’m out to push my limits, but try maintain a sensible approach and listen to body.

Hope this is of some use to others, even if it’s just for seeing any mistakes I make and learning's along the way!

Yesterdays training:
    Wk 3, Monday, typically a recovery day for me to prep for week ahead;

1hr easy Turbo with power fun bits off feel (no structure, basically recovery ride prep for week and throw in few efforts to make it worthwhile).
    45 mins easy run
    45 mins aerobic swim – 10 x 200 off 4:00 – working on rhythm/timing/rotation mainly with couple drills thrown in. - 3:30, 3:09, 3:03, 3:04, 3:01, 3:19, 3:18, 2:53, 3:23, 3:22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Well, well...interesting :)

Great to see this log popping up (not that I have much time for logs these days...but...) Cheers for doing this too, it should be a real eye opener! :cool:

Haven't time to read above right now but look forward to it later. The very best of luck with it all - another big year for you next year me predicts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm looking forward to this log.

Gotta agree with you on the UCD pool, great resource to have access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm exhausted just reading all that! ;) Good luck....will be interesting to follow and learn. :) Now I'm off for a post-Fazz recovery nap......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

This log will probably highlight or help my weakest discipline....
    SLEEP.

5 hours sleep, alarm goes off for swim.
    Buddy bails on me, I ponder around half asleep contemplating the same before zombie'ing it down to the pool.

45 mins swim as:
    6 x 400m slow/struggle/tired. Really felt it. Idiot.

Tried some technique work. Yeah, that was real solid too.

Went off 7:20.
    In on: 6:44, 6:40, 6:45, 6:33, 6:55, 6:46, Out.

Home from work, still tired but more alert.
    On to my favourite session of the week...

Session 2:
    Hurt Locker:

Power based Turbo - 90 min session of Intervals at L3, L4 and L5 Power with short recoveries.
    Around 50 mins of actual efforts, wu, cd and recoveries in between.
    Sweat buckets. Felt Great. Loud Music and pain. I love it.

Surprised to get through it, nailed the session. Now to take my lesson of the day and have an early night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Interesting.

Best of luck with the log and the IM Fazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Will follow this with interest Fazz, best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye this should be a good read. good luck with the training. never realised until now how short a time you had been racing. impressive progress!!

Epic Sleep (7.5hrs+)

Just the one session today.

Long L2 Run, 2hrs 20mins, 30km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool, one to watch and thanks for logging. What's the story with the 2:53 in the middle of that set of 200s? Was that in a 50m, nice session but times are erratic?

Tad late going to bed, again.
    6 hours sleep, not ideal.

Up for Swim, slow getting gear ready before I realise it's too late to get the full session in.
    Switch plans.

20mins Core & Conditioning before work.
    Stretching also to loosen legs after yesterdays run. Don't feel too bad thankfully.

Straight to UCD after work.

Swim - 55mins- 30 x 100 off 1:50, avg 1:36/100. Not pretty but efficient time wise and got it done. This was 1:40/100 a few weeks ago so gradually bringing it down.

Home and on to Turbo.

Bike - 50 mins easy spinning - Sub 150watts. Pure leg loosener, get the blood flowing and flush out any fatigue left from run so legs fresh for the morning.

Current thought process is still trying to identify an early season goal to train for.

Also - in my week 1 I've an FTP test and 400m TT. No run... Then I notice the Jingle Bells 5k is on the Saturday.
    Now I have done zero speed work. But it could be a bench mark. 5k is not my preference at all but I may enter it for the laugh and to get the HR up into hurt again.
    May also help to identify any early season goals regarding whether to add speed early for Sprint shape or not.

• Advertisement

Cool, one to watch and thanks for logging. What's the story with the 2:53 in the middle of that set of 200s? Was that in a 50m, nice session but times are erratic?

Yes all my swimming is now in UCD 50m.

The 200's were a mix up of strong, then technique adjustments regarding rotation, rhythm etc and the 2:53 was then a fast strong effort on the back of an adjustment. PB in 25m last year was 2:45 I think so probably on a par for the 50m.

What do you find the difference per 100m to be out of curiosity?
    I'm thinking 3-4secs per 100m?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good luck with the log Fazz, Should be a great read

Fazz wrote: »
    ...I'm thinking 3-4secs per 100m?

90% of my session are long course too and I've always said 3/4 sec per 100m, so band on with your estimation. However...if particularly unfit then push that out to 5/6 sec and particularly fit then perhaps 2/2.5 sec.

I was to do Jingle Bells too and really looking forward to it, alas I'm in college that Saturday. I'm sure a few from here will be doing it, great course - net downhill.

Like you I'm trying to figure out a goal race for April, an appropriate goal. NC duathlon - perhaps recovery cost too much?? Maybe a 10k, PB is 39:4x and thats from Kilkee this year during HoTW so I'd love a proper PB. Maybe a half marathon or an early season pool sprint. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice one Fazz!

I started out in exactly the same way as you. Focus Ireland ('07), breaststroke all the way got addicted. Thats where the similarity ends :)

You have an awesome work ethic. Best of luck to you through 2014. We'll be watching you compete in Kona soon I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

LC Abu Dhabi as an early season warm up/focus? Given the shorter run recovery will be quicker and it would be an ideal builder if you are thinking of having a test run at an IM at the end of next season.

LC Abu Dhabi as an early season warm up/focus? Given the shorter run recovery will be quicker and it would be an ideal builder if you are thinking of having a test run at an IM at the end of next season.

Its in my possibles list...

Always said I'd do it when focusing on Ironman but more thinking 2015 ahead of Roth.

Next season is still 70.3 focus so not sure.

I am seeing too much drop off in my watts from lack of biking and to only pick that up in Jan for a mid March bike heavy race wouldn't suit.

Lots of options but not ruling Abu dhabi out just yet.

So the ETU Middle Distance Champs were announced... for Mid October!
    Way too late... Clashes with Ironman for me so they are out.

Current likelyhood is the Duathlon Champs at present.

Anyway...

Friday:

Up early, 75min Level 1 easy run before work, 14odd km.

50mins Strength and Core after work
    45mins Swim easy - technique, drills such as sculling, kicking, single arm, wide arm, sighting. No distance counted but no hanging around - circa 2km.

Entered Jingle Bells 5k last night. May the lord have mercy on me for that ~18mins of pain.

Saturday.

Negative split run as 45mins 4:45/km pace, 30mins 4:30/km pace, 16mins 4:00-4:10/km pace, cd.
    1hr 43min, 22.5km. Done on empty.

Onto bike for 3hrs easy L1-L2. fuelled up at 1hr as was empty and slowing.

45mins swim as technique focus hand entry, straight arm, finger trail, head position, catch.
    Done as 100-200's easy. 1.6km.

30mins conditioning, functional exercises as single leg squats, lunges also with dead lifts, clean and jerks and leg press.

Nap. Wrecked. Nearly into recovery week. Need it.

Saturday.

Negative split run as 45mins 4:45/km pace, 30mins 4:30/km pace, 16mins 4:00-4:10/km pace, cd.

45mins swim as technique focus hand entry, straight arm, finger trail, head position, catch.
    Done as 100-200's easy. 1.6km.

30mins conditioning, functional exercises as single leg squats, lunges also with dead lifts, clean and jerks and leg press.

Nap. Wrecked. Nearly into recovery week. Need it.

Nice work dude. So run on empty, no fueling after, onto bike - is that correct? What did you get into you on the hour mark? Any carb drink, gels?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Great write up. Finding it really interesting seeing the effort put in by those at the real cutting edge of races. Very impressive

• Advertisement

Nice work dude. So run on empty, no fueling after, onto bike - is that correct? What did you get into you on the hour mark? Any carb drink, gels?

Yep correct run then bike all empty.

No science behind it, purely me experimenting with energy levels and limits.
    Took on 500ml water and a gel on hour mark on bike. It was too late though and effort showed it.

Ive kinda noticed a trend that I can run quite a bit on empty with no real issues.
    I'll be trialling similar on bike when long rides added in.

Up to now I'd defo eat fuel unnecessarily say even on rides etc.
    Did a couple 2-2.5hr rides on empty with just water and no issues so I seem to have enough energy for around 2.5hrs at low-med intensity.

Mainly efforts to cut body fat down come race season so learning more about when I actually need fuel is the goal.

The newbie days of packing the pocket with gels,bananas,bar and 2 bottles for a 3-4hr ride are long gone and unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Saturday.

Picking up on a later comment re intensity, what would you say the comparative intensity of these workouts was? Do you measure HR in these workouts and relative to the paces are these your easy / race paces?

Did you fuel up or just normal 'brekkie / meal before the run?

AKW wrote: »
    Picking up on a later comment re intensity, what would you say the comparative intensity of these workouts was? Do you measure HR in these workouts and relative to the paces are these your easy / race paces?

Did you fuel up or just normal 'brekkie / meal before the run?

Yep have HR on for most of workouts mainly for tracking training stress/performance and fitness.
    I'm more in tune with what zone's feel like now for me so typically when running will be going off feel with an eye on pace. Not typically HR.

Regarding the run - it was low zone 2 for first 45mins, upper z2/touching z3 for middle 30 and up to upper zone 3/touch z4 for the last 16mins.
    I don't typically wear a HR strap when racing but on current fitness would class the last 16 mins as faster than 70.3 run race pace.

The main thought process was to practice negative split runs on tired legs to build strength/endurance at aerobic levels.
    I suffered badly in the last 5-6km at Tri an Mhi last year. Literally fell of the cliff. A complete lack of strength endurance on the run which I don't plan on letting happen again. Lost Sheep did show improvements and I'm trying to build further on those.
    Plus there's a certain ironman at the end of the year which will be a whole new world of hurt in the back half of the marathon no doubt!

Regarding fuel - no it was on empty.
    95% of my morning sessions are done completely on empty.

Monday:

Swim 45mins - 400 wu with drills (single arm, head position, hand exit focus),
    4 x (150 easy, 100 medium, 50 strong) with 20sec rest each time.
    500 swim strong with sighting.
    2k done and up to gym

Strength and Core:
    This is a set I started doing after the break as I was getting back to exercising.
    A few purposes for me - build overall conditioning, increase strength and also burn fat.
    I'm not a lean build with abs from nothing, naturally medium and fat stores on the stomach typically.
    As I'm focussed on middle/longer distances, the majority of my training is aerobic and strength/fitness based. It is not high intensity fat burning.
    For my body type at least, this bull of 65% of Max HR is your fat burning zone is a load of crap.
    There's a reason cross fitters are ripped all over.
    There's a reason triathletes are typically lean/toned but without a whole lot of muscle definition even around abs.
    Some basic research suggests all the endurance training increases cortisol levels in the body which seems to inhibit fat burning in some cases.
    Some common sense to me is plainly high intensity for short durations is my fat burning zones, and overall strength/muscles being used out of comfort zones.

That for me, seems to be aided by my basic strength work I've been doing.

Easy week so weight dropped on each:
    Leg Press - 3 x 10 @ 135kg
    Leg Ext - 3 x 10 @ 40kg
    Clean & Jerk - 3 x 10 @ 30kg barbell
    Bicep/lat bar pulldown - 3 x 10 @ 60kg
    Dumbell Bicep Curl - 3 x 10 @ 15kg
    Core work of lean over forward with 15kg raises from waist working lower back.
    ab curls - legs and arms extended, draw to meet together for 15 and extend upwards to touch toes
    Then on 15 hold legs up near vertical and extend to touch toes 15.
    Feel the burn, then repeat x 2
    Lie down leg raises - lying back, lift legs a few inches from ground and raise a few inches then back without touching ground for 20. Repeat x 3.
    Stretch at end, shoulders/arms, hips, hamstrings, back.

45mins done and get out before boredom sets in.

I'm not concerned with building muscle, the weights are not that heavy to do that and I don't reach for the protein shake straight afterwards.
    More building functional strength to help sustain for training.
    I've noticed improved core and back/glutes in particular.

Body definitely fatigued from last few weeks.
    May opt for leg massage this week or wait till after the 5k on Sat in case that tightens something from the shock.

I'm fully aware sleep is a priority to aid recovery this week.

Tuesday

Swim - 1:10, 3.2km
    Endurance set of 8 x 400 off 7:10.
    In on 6:15-6:40 depending on effort.

Treadmill - 30mins. 6km
    Up for easy 30mins on treadmill

Core, 20mins
    Mobility exercises such as single.leg squats, wide cowboy still leg stance walks, lunges, core, stretching.

All done by 8:35 and evening of rest ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Interested in how you came to decide those were the weights for you for the various exercises?

Like you i feel that kind of work is what will help me shift fat as i have never had anything remotely like a six pack even at my leanest and strongest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Train all you want but 6 pack only arises from simultaneous dedication to diet :rolleyes:

Sorry Fazz bit late coming back to you on the 50m pool question. Yeah I'd say 4 secs per 100 is about right

Bambaata wrote: »
    Interested in how you came to decide those were the weights for you for the various exercises?

Like you i feel that kind of work is what will help me shift fat as i have never had anything remotely like a six pack even at my leanest and strongest.

Weights are pushed up based on feel.
    Started lower for clean and jerks to ensure no silly injury and form ok.
    Purpose is to build strength though so I do go near to as heavy as I can sustain with good form.

Hard enough to know you're working.
    Sweat dripping down front of forearms is always a good sign :-)

Wednesday

Just a 60min run with friends.
    13.8km, 4:25/km avg. No Hr.

Gotta love recovery weeks, may as well enjoy last couple days of it.

• Advertisement

Thursday:

Up early for short but steady swim:
    4 x 100 in 1:35 off 1:45
    200 same times
    4 x 100 same times
    300 same times
    4 x 100 same times
    400 same times
    Cd with drills, technique, easy, sighting.

2,600m done - maybe 55mins in pool.

Last 400 was a testing one but came in on 6:19 so held pace well all the way through.

Up to gym for

25mins core/conditioning/weights
    - mainly conditioning exercises as weights didn't feel too great. Fatigue flushing out now I hope.

22mins recovery run on treadmill - v easy pace, 4km.

Evening:
    1.5hr aerobic depth building turbo as
    20mins Z2 - 175w
    10mins Z3 - 242w
    20mins Z2 - 181w
    10mins Z3 - 252w
    15mins Z2 - 185w
    10mins cd

Z2 noticing v easy. Z3 lacking depth as expected.
    the T20 next week is gonna be painful.

Advertisement