Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Four

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Friday

Nice sleep in - good quality sleep much needed.

Gym:
    25mins conditioning/core/stretching/foam rolling
    - mainly core, glutes are tight, calves are tight, body feels tired. Feels like the fatigue I normally get on a Thursday of recovery week is coming a day later.
    I need a massage and will book one in for Monday/Tuesday hopefully.

Swim
    - easy technique/drills, couple fast 100's, sculling, single arm, prone, head forwards, hand entry, mainly 100's done.
    Circa 1700m

V easy Friday, had a run in mind but with tight muscles deferring it until Sunday.

Saturday am see's the Jingle Bells 5k for fun/hurt.

I don't think I've ever done a 5k. Don't think I did a sprint tri this year either so god knows what to compare it to.
    At a guess, I'd say sub 18, prob try and pace for mid 17's and see if I can pick it up or die a death after km2 or so...

Reasonable volume done, but no speed work at all so may as well start somewhere... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck tomorrow dude, really wish I was doing it too! It's the only 5k I know with a net elevation drop!

Good luck tomorrow dude, really wish I was doing it too! It's the only 5k I know with a net elevation drop!

Sweet! Just gonna empty it and laugh at the end!

All good fun!
    4 Mile at home on Stephen's Day so this will help get back into the hurt zone!

Saturday am

Run warm up, felt rubbish, v slow, bit of stretching.

Jingle Bells 5k.

Proper triathlete get up - shorts, hairy legs, runners with elastic laces, arm warmers, Pulse top, 910xt, ah yeah, spot the bluffers :o

Had hoped to see Zico at the start but no sign, I was a few rows back but not many so thought he'd be similar.
    Gun goes and I cross the line a few secs later, press go and we're off.
    The pace always feels so easy at the start, running in bunches thinking I gotta get past these slowmo's....
    Look at watch to see 3:15/km pace and realise I need to back off or I'm not gonna make it...
    Manage to ease it back, avg pace slows to more realistic numbers and I make a couple surges to get around groups.
    KM1 - 3:30 on the nose.

I see Andy "Bolt" Kinane up ahead, yes he was easy to spot with the 3D tri top, arm warmers, gloves... a friendly triathlete to try and pace off for a little bit! I surge up behind him as we go up chesterfield.
    Stay behind him to try save the wind in our faces but I'm not quite close enough.
    We pass quite a few here and I've to make a couple mini surges to stay on pace
    KM2 - 3:27

Bolt is starting to live up to his name as he sets off for what can only be a massive negative split, I hurt a little and Zico comes past me panting like a mad thing!
    I hang on for a bit but he too is negative splitting like a mo-fo...
    And off the back of some sick mileage too... Nice work!

KM3 - 3:29

Ok so I'm on target for 17:30 if I can hang on, it's starting to hurt here and I reach the mental "is this hurting too much", "I can back off a little here", before coming to and just surging a bit more to stay in the zone.
    Zico has edged further away now trying to chase Bolt down, I'm hurting but trying to stay on pace and waiting for this downhill last km...

KM4 - 3:32

I hear the heavy breathing of a fast lady behind me now (more of a yelping to be honest :D ) and that's the motivation for me to try pick it up, we're on the fastest part of the course and I do not want to get passed here...
    I pick it up and distance the yelping some, then turn and approach the finish and kick for the line. The first line that is. What there's a second line? Why have 2? I should have known better... On to the finish we go (only like 10metres away but when you see a line in the hurtbox you stop! :) )

KM5 - 3:17

Across the line in 17:17 for 4.99km.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/413107249

HR interesting anomaly.

Avg HR of 168bpm is a firm PB for this.

In fairness I haven't ran a 5k before really, but looking back to last stephen's day when I ran a 4mile and averaged 162bpm, for a 3:37/km average pace compared to today's 168bpm for a 3:28/km pace is interesting.

Dungarvan 10mile last Jan was a 159bpm avg for 3:41/km.

Have I managed to improve my HR threshold?
    Am I just more capable of pushing into the Red now as a bit fitter?

This years Stephens Day 4mile will hopefully tell me more as I look to push similar intensity as today's 5k.

Body seems to be responding quite well to my run volume.
    I'm happy with 17:17 on the back of zero speed work.
    That race was a lot of fun, well organised, simple, hurt zone.
    Hope to return next year for more.

December 26th will be my next speed session!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Top tip
    The first mat across the road is an alert mat, it tells the announcer who is approaching the end.
    The finish line is the one with a sign over it saying FINISH
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Fazz wrote: »

December 26th will be my next speed session!

what are you targeting there? 21/22 or so? (did the maths in my head so could be wrong)

mossym wrote: »
    what are you targeting there? 21/22 or so? (did the maths in my head so could be wrong)

On paper mid 22's it would appear...

Think I was around 23:10 last year so that would be nice.
    May try and hit a low 22 if I can.

What are you aiming for do you think?

significantly slower than that!!

Running not my strong point, but improving. More a slogger than a speed merchant. was 29.30 last year(although i reckon their timing was off, think i was under 29). Will give them benefit of the doubt and say they were correct, if so will say 28 and see where hurting a lot brings me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great going there Fazz,

Hope to see you on the 26th, Few beers after in Carey's ;) ?

Ceepo wrote: »
    Great going there Fazz,

Hope to see you on the 26th, Few beers after in Carey's ;) ?

Ha that will defo be arranged assuming I'm still in the town!
    Possible lads nite out in Dub that evening as we both know how messy Clonmel gets on Stephens nite!! ;) But if I'm about then absolutely.

I assume you'll be in flying shape again and be a minute or so down the road chasing huff n puff on the 26th!
    I'll try join ye for the first mile or so and go from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ha that will defo be arranged assuming I'm still in the town!
    Possible lads nite out in Dub that evening as we both know how messy Clonmel gets on Stephens nite!! ;) But if I'm about then absolutely.

I assume you'll be in flying shape again and be a minute or so down the road chasing huff n puff on the 26th!
    I'll try join ye for the first mile or so and go from there!

No chance mate. Out for the last month with a calf strain. Will leave yourself an Huff to fight it out.
    Usually head for a few early then get out if town before the bandits are out, lol

Sat eve:

60mins easy spinning on turbo - leg loosener sub 150w.

15 mins core and stretch.

Sun

1.5hrs Turbo Z2 power with 3 x 3 mins @ 300w R3.

Easy run off bike - 50 mins, 9.8km, 5:08/km pace.

All done on empty.

15 mins core/conditioning exercises.

Recovery week done.

This week sees massage, swim 400m TT, FTP test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going at the weekend.

Sounds like you are enjoying the flexibility of being self coached. Are you working with a squad for your swim or are you happy enough with your swim and know what needs to be done?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice going at the weekend.

Sounds like you are enjoying the flexibility of being self coached. Are you working with a squad for your swim or are you happy enough with your swim and know what needs to be done?

Thanks P.

Yes really enjoying the flexibility and my own plan.

I'm swimming with a few other triathletes of similar ability but currently contemplating an adjustment.

I've some particular technique weaknesses that I'm not sure I or a coach can fix in my current schedule.
    Ive a poor/appalling evf, I've a weak kick, I think I've a slight dead spot on extension.

That being said, I am developing a better timing/rotation and trying to finish my stroke properly by hips which is helping propulsion.
    The problem is my progress is probably limited by my technique so a couple of my short weekly swims are technique based.

Currently looking at scheduling some higher volume to see if that stimulates better return.
    The pool is barely closed over xmas too which will defo help.

There's a few good options for me if I want to add in a coached swim session so I may do that in Jan once I've tried my own approach first.

Monday

Easy Run - 11.6km, 56mins, 4:52/km pace

Muscles tight, need more sleep also but what else is new.
    Weekends are for living.

Trying to book massage for Tues or Wed pm.
    FTP test likely for Thurs/Fri if so.
    I don't want any tight muscle nonsense excuses so plan on doing it on fresh legs to ensure numbers are accurate (ly low... :D:o )

Trying to book massage for Tues or Wed pm.

mind me asking what you approach to massages are? how often? only when you need them, and if so, how do you decide

mossym wrote: »
    mind me asking what you approach to massages are? how often? only when you need them, and if so, how do you decide

Used to be like clockwork every 6-8 weeks as maintenance.
    This would typically coincide with feeling my calves tighten etc.

However towards back half of this year I've noticed some improved endurance and strength.
    I took a couple risks doing some hard sessions when before I would have had a massage in advance and got through them with no issues.
    I do a bit of stretching and rolling but not a whole lot tbh.

I do almost daily calf raises on edge of bed/step. Defo helps me.
    I never stretch before training. Ever. Did so in my first year and strained my calf twice. Never again.

I'm about 8 weeks into training and off the back of my biggest run volume so naturally the legs are feeling it.

So short answer - go on feel, can defo run through a few tight muscle sessions and if not loosening then it's time.
    Typically 6-8 weeks for me anyway.

I do try foam rolling/stretching myself first when needed and know a few days later if it's time for a proper massage.

Good sleep last night, so much so I bailed on early swim knowing I'd be in bits otherwise.

Took a cup of HTFU and opted for FTP test tonight as legs feel alright.

5min TT - 331w

20min TT - 280w

Pretty much bang on as expected.
    This time 12 months ago my figures were almost identical (340w, 283w).
    By Feb they had crept up to 350w and 315w but that was under the guidance of a clever coach.

The hard part will be for me to replicate similar progress myself.

The easy part, I've done seriously little bike work in comparison and haven't even started in my eyes so I'm actually happy with the above results. Could not have expected any more at all.

Bike work starts very soon. Next FTP in late Jan/Feb to track progress.

Wednesday:

Easy day of:

35mins Strength/core work (usual leg press, leg ext, clean and jerk, bicep pull down, abs v lifts, abs leg lifts, dumbbell press, stretch). Weights increased a bit on each.

45mins swim - mixture of easy 100/200/300's. Technique work. Circa 2k.

Then sports massage and stretches.

Thursday:

Early am swim = was running late but got it done before work

45mins as 25 x 100 off 1:45.

Started this thinking about leg position and kicking a bit more.
    Wasn't really working too great and seemed to be affecting my timing/stroke.
    1:35's-1:37's for first 10.

Then I reverted to my staple stroke which is more of a pause, but more powerful push phase with 2 beat leg kick and the 1:35's came easier.

As I was looking at my arm/catch/pull underwater I again noticed my left forearm angles inwards as I'm pulling/pushing the water.
    This is something I couldn't quite adjust right and has been pointed out to me before by previous coach - part of the reason for the wide arm drills to help nurture this I guess.
    Anyway, so I consciously decide to try a wider left arm catch/push phase.
    I notice the forearm now stays more vertical as opposed to inwards, and also my hand itself was more flat as opposed to actually angling and thus reducing catch.
    Rotation/timing felt a bit better and stroke felt different - like the pause had reduced or something.

I do the last 10 with this in mind and it really seems to help.
    I look at the clock and think that's not right. Go again.
    Same again. Ok, am I putting in more effort here?
    nope same again.
    Hit the last 10 in 1:30-1:31's for what feels like no extra effort.

Possible light bulb moment and technique finally adjusting.

Possible good swim day and more effort not noticed due to decent recovery.

Only one way to know, try replicate again tomorrow and Saturday.
    Also, 400m TT is due so that may be an indicator too.

Long run after work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ever take a rest day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Presuming Wednesday was a virtual rest day no?

Ever take a rest day?

Not typically when in full on training mode - maybe 1 day off every 3 or so weeks.

But at present yes I'm going easy on myself.. Wednesday was a recovery day.
    This Sunday is provisionally a day off also assuming all goes to plan for next couple days.

I find in most weekly cycles an easier day is just as good and enables the volume/load to be kept regular.

Just got used to not needing days off - but do from time to time.

Thurs pm

Long Run - 4 x laps around UCD trails.

Done as first lap easy, second lap pick it up a bit, 3rd lap back off a bit and 4th just hold pace.
    A comfortable run - half in zone 2, half in lower zone 3 so ideal endurance builder.

2 hours and change
    26.88km
    Avg Pace - 4:38/km
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415059024

Into UCD for some hydrotherapy and stretching.

I'm not quite ready to be adding efforts into these long runs yet, but will do over time - want to target a progression run at this duration/distance and also another with say 30minute efforts at higher intensity etc.

Friday:

45mins Swim - 2k
    2k Swim done as 100's off 1:45 again for repetition on yesterdays technique.
    Was coming in on same times of 1:30-31's but was working harder this morning.
    Not as much sleep and the 2hr run last night perhaps factors, technique wasn't quite as good.
    Some easy 200's at end and out for work.

Back into gym after work for strength session:

35mins - Leg press (165kg), Leg Ext (45kg), Bicep Pulldown (65kg), Clean and Jerk (35kg), Dumbell Press (17.5kg x 2), Abs leg raises, Lower Back raises (20kg).

70mins Turbo - easy spinning to loosen legs ahead of harder day tomorrow.

Overall volume has decreased last few weeks - I'm trying to organise my race calendar properly and don't want to start into the hard work too soon for fear of burn out when I'm targetting a late season peak.

I've been in 2 minds about whether to simply keep it primarily easy aka base training and maintain high volume and just defer the intensity until the 20/24 week window per say.
    Or, whether to back off a bit and apply some structure towards when to ramp up volume and intensity in line with season goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still training 15 or so hours give or take, but not quite at the 18-20 hour mark that will be needed to get to the performance level I want.

My main thought process has been one of work on my weakness of swim/run/strength first, reduce bike to ensure quality within those and then once happy add the bike back in.
    Also behind this has been my performances this year, I peaked in May, and went downhill from there in particular on the bike, whilst run perhaps did improve a little towards the end but not much.

Lessons here?

- it's hard to improve performance during race season - even if only racing every 3-4 weeks or so as I did this year.
    - the training stimulus adopted from May did not work well for me in particular the bike work
    - it's hard to peak twice in a season, or to recover/build from initial peak performances

Having reviewed my bike work in particular, I believe I understand what didn't work for me.
    Whether I understand what will work for me in a similar situation remains to be seen, but I have some more experience in the tank so hopefully can apply things differently.

Now my recent FTP test of down 10% is a bit of a kick up the arse.
    I will start to ramp up the bike volume from next week, I miss it, I don't like being down on power, and I am happy with progress made on run and feel my body is adapting to the increased run volume and responding well.
    I'm also happy with my strength and conditioning improvements and my swim has returned to an acceptable level, but I haven't increased volume enough yet to try stimulate further progress. This is next.

My Ironman Mallorca race transfer is officially gone through also.
    Can't beat motivation.

So the real training starts now basically. I'm still following my same 3 week build 1 week drop cycle for the moment and this is week 1.
    I say real, I only mean in terms of volume - intensity will remain as 80/90% easy/aerobic with strength work and a small bit of speed.

My race season is still to be decided, but I am also registered for the Duathlon Champs so that will be my early season tester.

Options from there are:
    1 - complete 4 x NS races early doors in May/June.
    2 - Tri an Mhi half, Kilkee Oly NC and maybe couple in between

Option 2 would mean a more focussed training and racing plan - in that not distracted by racing 3/4 weeks out of 5 to complete NS early.
    Also an early half ironman which is my preferred distance.
    Option 1 is purely there as a get some early season racing done, train through most of them just to complete the NS requirements.

No panic on this decision, and no real change to my training approach over the next few months regardless so I've time to decide.

Clearly 2 is the sensible approach, but there is an element of what will I enjoy more, what do I want to do and what will motivate me more.
    I would have to apply discipline to option 1 and accept some races would be my training sessions but still chances to hurt.
    There is no doubting option 1 would compromise recovery and build work in what could be an important time.

Decision may depend on performance gains made to April.

It's not an option to race into July. I've my mind made up that July/August will be an 8 week prep block for peaking hopefully. No race distractions allowed.

Anyway, loads of time to decide which floats my boat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just pencil the A goal. Determine how everything else benefits or risks your performance for it. Weight each activity and rank. A matrix of hi/lo fun vs hi/lo benefit or similar. Example: Kilkee. Hi Fun, low benefit? You love the race, really want to race the NC. In terms of recovery cost. In terms of the focus off Majorca temporarily to get the best from Kilkee. Higher intensity training recovery cost etc... Maybe a bit of overkill, but you are now a pointy end racer. I'd even guess that if you train well, race smart that Majorca may bring new goal posts ;)

At the very least it may decide the approach for you. I'd just caution against a busy race season with an IM in the mix. Does chasing NS points and IM compliment each other?

Saturday:

Session 1:

2hr 30min Turbo - Z1/2 with 4 x 5mins Z3 near end.
    Notably easier in Zone 2 after the Z3 efforts.

Session 2:

1hr 20min Run on Treadmill - easy pace, 16km.

Session 3:

Easy Swim down - 1.2km, 30mins, technique work.

Managed to get more of a feel for my left forearm catch thingy as Thursday.
    It now feels more like when I keep my left forearm out wider trying to enable it to be more vertical, that in actual fact I enable my whole arm to be out wider and use my lats/triceps more on the push phase.
    This seems to be the effect and giving me more propulsion.
    Early days, but that's what it feels like so far.
    Fingers crossed for a mini swim breakthrough.

Just pencil the A goal. Determine how everything else benefits or risks your performance for it. Weight each activity and rank. A matrix of hi/lo fun vs hi/lo benefit or similar. Example: Kilkee. Hi Fun, low benefit? You love the race, really want to race the NC. In terms of recovery cost. In terms of the focus off Majorca temporarily to get the best from Kilkee. Higher intensity training recovery cost etc... Maybe a bit of overkill, but you are now a pointy end racer. I'd even guess that if you train well, race smart that Majorca may bring new goal posts ;)

At the very least it may decide the approach for you. I'd just caution against a busy race season with an IM in the mix. Does chasing NS points and IM compliment each other?

You're absolutely right, and it's in writing things down and getting pieces of advice like this that clarity comes clearer.

I've done some research on other domestic guys that have raced well at ironman - and first ironman in many cases (Niall Somers, Mike O'Brien, LCD, Joe Lynch, Owen Martin etc).
    In most of these cases, they have approached racing less and smart. Or the odd training race with elements of racing and shut down for a discipline/period. The infamous Joe Lynch getting lost in Athy Double and "accidentally" doing another bike lap springs to mind.... :D :pac:

My case is a tad different in that it's a late season ironman, but same principle applies you chose your priority and focus on that.

I'll throw up another post in the next few days regarding my approach to this, but on doing some more research it leads to the conclusion that races, in particular sprint/olympic will be distractions during weeks where I will need to be focussed on volume and key training sessions in order to reach my half and ironman goals.

I will likely apply a sparce race calendar, but Kilkee will be included regardless as that's still 8 weeks out from Lost Sheep and a great race and NC's.
    The difference will be the 6 weeks or so prior to that which will not be consumed with sprint/olympic's and distractions from proper training so to speak.
    The odd race may be added in (if entries allow!) as a training race but not sure I'd have the discipline to shut it down after the swim or bike or whatever...

Anyway, appreciate the comment and yes, a busy race season is not advisable nor smart considering my priority and focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If the IM becomes the A goal then really I would limit racing in the 12 weeks leading up to it, perhaps 1/2 max. You are giving up a weekend long bike or run if you do and being honest you will likely be carrying too much fatigue to race well unless off the back of recovery weeks.

If the IM becomes the A goal then really I would limit racing in the 12 weeks leading up to it, perhaps 1/2 max. You are giving up a weekend long bike or run if you do and being honest you will likely be carrying too much fatigue to race well unless off the back of recovery weeks.

Interesting comment of "if the ironman becomes the A goal"...

Interesting because I can't deny it is the main motivator at the moment. I guess the fact it is such a big event and requires so much training that it's bound to take a fair amount of the focus etc.

However, it is my first one, and is not my A goal for the season.
    I will be racing Lost Sheep and Kilkee. 2 Competitive fields, 2 great courses and 2 national champs. I can't miss either that's for sure.

But performance wise, I understand your point and obviously I want to try and put my best effort on the day so it will be taking a large amount of the preparation and focus etc.

My calendar will see Kilkee at end of June, then an 8 week block (granted recover/taper in there) before Lost Sheep.
    I will have at least a 3 week gap prior to Lost Sheep also and sense is taking over in that I will be racing less and aiming for quality but ensuring the ironman prep is done firstly. If that means Kilkee has no taper etc then so be it. But such a great race and National Champs is defo on the cards for me.

So I will have an 11 week block but with an oly and half in there.
    The Half remains the focus as stated.
    I do feel that if I can approach the overall training plan correctly, that I can get the timing right.

As mentioned above, this will be a delicate planning case of almost doing a lot of base until as late as March, before kicking off the real 20 week cycle of intensity.
    Racing in this cycle will not be ideal as you allude to, but is something I am fine with for this season. I'm hoping going into the block with a solid base, and planning the intensity right enough to peak for end of August will see me through.

• Advertisement

Monday:

Turbo - 1hr 50min
    Done as 10min WU, 1hr @ 200w, 30min @ 225w same gear, 10 min CD.

Notable HR drift on the 30min effort.
    Highlights lack of depth, lack of base, lack of aerobic fitness.
    Exactly as expected.
    More time in Sub 225w required to increase this.

Run off bike - 20min - 4.5km

Done as fast out - sub 4min km pace, then back off for 1km, then pick it up - again sub 4min/km, then back off and home.
    Low cost, bit of fun, bit of confidence, legs moving fine after 2hr turbo.

Advertisement