Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usage measurement

• 26-11-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Up to last month we never came anywhere near the monthly download allowance of 70Gb from our ISP.

Following last month I have been really careful about managing our usage but received a mail on Friday saying we had reached 90% of our allowance, by Sunday it was 100% and seems to be increasing by about 5Gb a day.

We don't stream or download films just a bit of browsing and YouTube.

As we only have iPhone / iPad the ISPs data management tool is useless as it requires flash player.

Is there a way to measure your usage independently of the ISP ?

How would I know if someone is stealing broadband from us ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 gunner0098

Hi,

Do you live in a residental area? Are there plenty of neighbours around?

First thing I would do is change the password on your wireless router, make it more complex if it's not already.
    You could also enable MAC-address filtering on your router - only mac addresses listed on your router can use the wireless. This can be a bit of a pain, as you would have to add any new devices to this list each time, but it is another layer of security.
    Also, you should be able to tell who is logged on the wireless network via your router as well (through the web browser funtion).

Any streamimg apps on the Apple devices?

Hope this helps.

gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

We live in the country but a few houses around, doubt very much the neighbours would be up to something to be fair.....unless it's those damn cows.

Unfortunately the modem is locked by ISP.

Had Spotify on trial for a few days but that's all and only listened to 4 or 5 songs max.

The other culprit could be PS3 but I am assured the wireless isn't been used by the young fella and to be fair anytime I checked he didn't have it on..usually know as it interferes with watching tv using senders.

Could Sky box be gobbling up usage even when we don't stream/download ? During the month as a trial I downloaded 3 episodes of a mini series called 40 which in total came to 2.5Gb. Other than that it hasn't been used.

Advertisement