Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon Photographs

Options
  • 26-11-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, Im just wondering does anyone know where I could locate photographs from the 1989 Millennium Marathon, in particular the winner that year, John Griffin crossing the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Hi all, Im just wondering does anyone know where I could locate photographs from the 1989 Millennium Marathon, in particular the winner that year, John Griffin crossing the line.

I thought 1988 was the millennium.
    I'll try to locate some photos and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have you tried the likes of Inpho to see if they have a copy in their archives?

It's 1989. John won it in 2.16.44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

1988 was dublin centenary year.

INPHO/Sportsfile might be better to get in contact with ….. not sure if Marathon photos were operating in Ireland then.

sportsfile have him in 2000 (assuming its the same guy)
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/050826/

chances are 1998 you would be talking about having to search through negatives … which means you will have to pay for someone to search through the negs and/or to simply find them ….its not going to be cheap to get the image.

Corkbah wrote: »
    1988 was dublin centenary year.

INPHO/Sportsfile might be better to get in contact with ….. not sure if Marathon photos were operating in Ireland then.

I think Dublin is more than 100 years old :)

• Advertisement

I think Dublin is more than 100 years old :)

988 - 1988 (centuary) … did I choose the wrong word to describe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Corkbah wrote: »
    988 - 1988 (centuary) … did I choose the wrong word to describe this.

yes centenary is 100 years. Millennium is 1000 years (i.e 1988-988 = 1000)

I've sourced a couple of black and white ones. One from the start line and one from the finish. Not great quality.
    PM me your email address and I'll scan them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dublin Marathon86

Hi hard worker,
    Great to hear from you! I have made an error it's 1988 I'm looking for! John is actually my father and I'd love to get those photographs for him crossing the line. Any chance of locating these particular ones? Also I Really appreciate the fast reply!! :)

I've sourced a couple of black and white ones. One from the start line and one from the finish. Not great quality.
    PM me your email address and I'll scan them to you.

My email is ciaragriffin75@gmail.com really appreciate this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hi hard worker,
    Great to hear from you! I have made an error it's 1988 I'm looking for! John is actually my father and I'd love to get those photographs for him crossing the line. Any chance of locating these particular ones? Also I Really appreciate the fast reply!! :)

Wonder what dad getting for xmass :)

Nice that your putting the work in though.

thanks very much for the advice, they're very difficult to locate, such a pity too as I'd love to see them myself :)

sportsfile/inpho might have them …. at this point you could also try the various papers and see if they can put you in contact with the photographers.

be prepared to spend money though - you will be asking someone to find pics from 25yrs ago and if you think about it…. do you know where something you used 25yrs ago is …its highly unlikely they will know where to find it straight away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have you considered picking through the newspaper archives? For example, this newspaper seems to have a finishing picture/article. It'll cost you €50 for a printed scan, but still a nice idea for a present. Nice picture on page two of this paper (if that's your dad?). You can also search the Irish Times archive for just €10 for 24 hours, but no guarantees that there'll be a photo (seems to be an article titled 'It's an Ill wind' so I'm guessing it was a windy year! Can you still view newspaper articles on microfiche in public libraries (or was that just Nancy Drew?)? Good luck with the hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You can view all the papers you want for free in the National Library on Kildare Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Irish Times, 1 Nov 1988 page 5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

John is an inspiration.. hope you get the photos you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

John is an inspiration.. hope you get the photos you're looking for!

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/marathon-a-galloping-success-27387052.html

50 and still running 2:38.

I love this thread. I hope my kids have 1% of this proudness OP has towards my avg race performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

Where I'm from in Tralee is not too far from where John lives. I remember when I was younger asking my mother - who is that man who is out running on the roads hail rail or snow he must be crazy! It's only now when I've gotten into the running myself and seen his times/results I really appreciate the work he was putting in.

Thanks a million the first one could be the one Im looking for :) We tried libraries years ago but with no luck :( this is brilliant thank you :)

• Advertisement

Where I'm from in Tralee is not too far from where John lives. I remember when I was younger asking my mother - who is that man who is out running on the roads hail rail or snow he must be crazy! It's only now when I've gotten into the running myself and seen his times/results I really appreciate the work he was putting in.

really!? it really is a small world :) good luck with the running :)

rom wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/marathon-a-galloping-success-27387052.html

50 and still running 2:38.

I love this thread. I hope my kids have 1% of this proudness OP has towards my avg race performances.

aw thank you :) Hes a cool guy alright haha

murphd77 wrote: »
    Irish Times, 1 Nov 1988 page 5...

Thanks very much :) these are great to see :)

Advertisement