Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists on Clonskeagh entrance.

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Why is it that cyclists do not use the cycle lane that runs adjacent to Wynnsward Drive. The one just after the Clonskeagh entrance with the enormous sign with the arrow saying cycle lane???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So I tried to google streetview it to see what you were talking about, but I couldn't see the cycle path because the streetview (which was obviously done from a bike) was done by a guy cycling on the footpath on the other side....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Why is it that cyclists do not use the cycle lane that runs adjacent to Wynnsward Drive. The one just after the Clonskeagh entrance with the enormous sign with the arrow saying cycle lane???

Perhaps because there is no such thing as a mandatory use cycle lane now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A cycle lane is not that part of the road that a cyclist 'must' use. It is a part of the road that a motorist 'may not' use.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Perhaps because there is no such thing as a mandatory use cycle lane now
    endacl wrote: »
    A cycle lane is not that part of the road that a cyclist 'must' use. It is a part of the road that a motorist 'may not' use.

You guys both went unnecessarily defensive there pretty quick. I don't think the OP was necessarily complaining about it, just wondering why people didn't do it.

It'd be different if he said

"I am so sick of being stuck behind cyclists heading out through the clonskeah gate, the road isn't quite wide enough to overtake them safely if there is oncoming traffic, and the ramps and the fact the road is quite long make it a complete pain driving behind them. Particularly when they aren't usual "commuter" cyclists and they're moving really slowly"

Which would also be a pretty legit thing to say - although I could see why it would provoke your reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, the question was essentially 'why do cyclists not use the cycle lane', to which the answer is 'because they aren't required to'. Some do, some don't.

Nothing defensive there. Whenever I use that entrance, I'm in a car. I just see road users using the road. Some on bikes and some in cars.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Well, the question was essentially 'why do cyclists not use the cycle lane', to which the answer is 'because they aren't required to'. Some do, some don't.

"Because they can, that's why" is not an answer - it is particularly not an answer when the OP never said they can't. I can legally do lots of annoying things, like listen to music really loud on the bus for example - that doesn't mean I do it just for the sake of exercising my statutory rights.

A cyclist cycling on a road instead of in a cycle lane might have a perfectly legitimate explanation like "The cycle lane is bumpy and often full of pedestrians" or even "I also don't like being stuck behind slow cyclists" cyclists who answer the question by saying "because I can" are part of the reasons why cyclists are often looked down on by drivers. Because they seem to be inconveniencing drivers just "because they can" - when it would probably be nicer for everybody if they just cycled in the dedicated cycle lane.

If I phrase the question "why do cyclists choose to use the road instead of the cycle path in UCD" does that make a difference to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Few reasons I never used it:

1. Have to cross traffic to get to it
    2. People walking dogs in it
    3. Groups of people walking in it, blocking it
    4. PUDDLES
    5. The junction with the Coach Parking area is covered in gravel
    6. It ends with a slope down towards the bend at the church, where you have to come to a complete stop to cross traffic on a bend
    7. The speed limit in UCD is 30 kph so its not like I'm delaying anyone on the road!

(also of note if you're on the parallel path on the section from the roundabout to the church, just before you hit this slope down towards the church, a gravel path goes off to the right, I've seen a few cyclists come off their bikes while trying to brake at this point (gravel gets washed onto the path)

TL;DR
    Easier to stay on the main road, especially if you intend to fly straight down the concourse

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

errlloyd wrote: »
    I can legally do lots of annoying things, like listen to music really loud on the bus for example - that doesn't mean I do it just for the sake of exercising my statutory rights.

(Off topic!)

Not according to Dublin Bus By-laws! ;)
    52. No person while on the vehicle shall sing, perform on any musical or other instruments or use any audible radio, television, record player, tape recorder or portable apparatus.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Much ado about nothing imo

Advertisement