Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Beer

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Does anyone know where you can pick up / order any Danish or European Christmas Beers in Ireland?

:D ...tis the season to be jolly!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can get Irish Christmas beers too. ;)

Not sure where you're based but Devenney's in Dundrum always get a few in.

http://www.drinkstore.ie/ also have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Don't want to hijack your thread OP but there is probably no point starting another. I'm looking for a Dark Ale to be used in cooking a Christmas pudding.

Gonna see if I can find Goose Island Christmas Ale or something similar but if anyone has any suggestions of Irish Christmas Ales or Ales in general that I could pick up in or around the city centre in Dublin, I would be extremely grateful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Gonna see if I can find Goose Island Christmas Ale or something similar but if anyone has any suggestions of Irish Christmas Ales or Ales in general that I could pick up in or around the city centre in Dublin, I would be extremely grateful! :)

8 Degress will be launching their new winter ale Aztec stout, a chocolate stout with chilli and vanilla pods it could be very interesting

Clotworthy Dobbin would work well in a Christmas pudding I'd say as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

irish_goat wrote: »
    Clotworthy Dobbin would work well in a Christmas pudding I'd say as well.

A bit hoppy though, perhaps?

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    A bit hoppy though, perhaps?

I'd assume the hop oils will get boiled off during the cooking process though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm supposed to pick up ingredients for the pudding, I'm thinking of going for a bottle of O'Hara's stout instead of Guinness. Would a Leann Follain be too much? It's not all for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I've heard it said more than once and it applies to both beer and wine, always by the cheapest for cooking with. I'd use a bottle of Guinness export as it's the closest stout to what our mmothers used to use!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I was sent out to buy the Guinness for the pudding this year. I was so tempted to buy a bottle of dark arts porter, but decided it wasn't worth risking pissing the mother off if the pudding didn't come out right and a great beer was wasted.
    So a bottle of export way bought as well.
    When/if I ever cook my own, I'll try something other than Guinness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK the opposite happens: the water boils off and the hop oils get concentrated. Everything I've read about cooking with beer has said avoid, or be very careful with, hop-forward ones.

That said, Clotworthy Dobbin is hardly a hop bomb. I reckon it would be great in a pudding.

I've had chocolate cakes made with Leann Folláin and Dark Arts and they were amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

oblivious wrote: »
    8 Degress will be launching their new winter ale Aztec stout, a chocolate stout with chilli and vanilla pods it could be very interesting

Ahh here now, it was one thing Bulmers and their pear cider but 10 pints of chilli infused ale sounds like it could put you in A&E.

Not sure if Yule Ól is out from Gypsy this year but it has been for the last 2 or 3 years, I saw some Christmas beer bread instructions floating around and Yule Ól was one of the ingredients so I'd presume you can get it again this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ahh here now, it was one thing Bulmers and their pear cider but 10 pints of chilli infused ale sounds like it could put you in A&E.

Not sure if Yule Ól is out from Gypsy this year but it has been for the last 2 or 3 years, I saw some Christmas beer bread instructions floating around and Yule Ól was one of the ingredients so I'd presume you can get it again this Christmas.

Yule Ól is out or is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

Thanks for the Christmas Beer suggestions. Yeah I love the Irish Christmas beers too but I'm really looking for some dark and malty Danish Julebryg for nostalgic purposes. I've yet to come across it on these shores. I based in Galway but will hopefully make it up to Dublin to stock up before the season gets into full swing.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

I believe Chris at Galway Bay is also brewing up something for Christmas.

So the foreign export Guinness, the 7.5% one is good for the puddin'?

I'm really looking for some dark and malty Danish Julebryg for nostalgic purposes. I've yet to come across it on these shores.
    If it's specifically Tuborg's you want, you won't get it here, or anywhere outside Denmark, I'd say. White Gypsy's Yule Ól has its roots in Sweden more than Denmark but it's pretty on the money for the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not all oils are volatile, general speak the aromatics one are the group that gets boiled off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I picked up a couple of Christmas beers in Supervalu on Aston Quay last night. I got Bah Humbug by Wychwood and Rosey Nosey by Batemans. They also had Fuller's Winter Ale.

Probably gonna use the Bah Humbug in the Christmas pudding and have the Batemans beer on Christmas night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Saruman wrote: »
    Yule Ól is out or is going to be.

I'd say it's out by now. Came in hampers last year, 2 Ól, cheese, tasty chutney and a gypsy glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm supposed to pick up ingredients for the pudding, I'm thinking of going for a bottle of O'Hara's stout instead of Guinness. Would a Leann Follain be too much? It's not all for me!

We used a Leann Folláin in ours last year, worked a bloody treat. Go for it.

• Advertisement

We used a Leann Folláin in ours last year, worked a bloody treat. Go for it.

I gave the Ma a "Buried At Sea" Milk Chocolate Stout. Might swap it for a Leann Follain, she hasn't started the second puddin' yet :)

Beer Heaven (premier beers) has released some boxed sets recently and at least one is Christmas beer and perhaps all. I saw them in the massive Molloy's on the Clonsilla road last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Grayditch wrote: »
    So the foreign export Guinness, the 7.5% one is good for the puddin'?

Delia's recipe - which has served me well for many years - says to use stout and barley wine. Now I could never find barley wine so I just use double amounts of the FE Guinness.

This year I found Sierra Nevada Barley Wine style. Now I don't know if style is quite the same as the real thing. But I used it anyway. It was a bit more ale like in texture than stout but anyway I finished what was left in the bottle and I don't think it will do the pud any harm.

But I threw in an extra drop of FE to be on the safe side.

We'll know on Christmas Day.....

Flyer28 wrote: »
    This year I found Sierra Nevada Barley Wine style. Now I don't know if style is quite the same as the real thing.
    Pedantic American labelling laws say you can't call something a "barley wine" if it's not actually a wine, hence "barley wine style ale".

Advertisement