Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I install a stove.

• 26-11-2013 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Here is my fire place, can it be done or is it too small.

image_zps7e534f91.jpg

image_zps2f8234c5.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Its 380mm wide 180mm deep and 570mm high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Robert
    What size is your room. what type of stove are you thinking about for heating and room heat or just to heat room ?

If it's just for room heat a waterford stanley Oisin non boiler would give you 6.4Kw max heat to room.
    width 408mm depth 415mm Height to centre of pipe at back 445mm
    overall height 535mm. You would this stove with a 125mm flexible flue system 35 + fittings. Check your hearth depth and see would it sit on the hearth you need approx 415mm
    NW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

too small in my eyes at first glance

Maybe I need to be looking at the inset stoves??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

for an inset stove you will have to break away the fire back and clear it all out. its quite big

2012-08-30 21.14.43.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 fredgalway

Hi Robert of course you can put in a stove ,I am assuming that this is a real chimney if so all that needs to be decided is size and type of stove .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Hi Robert,

I dont work in the area or anything but

it looks like you have a fairly standard 16 x 22 opening?

If so, few options
    (a) insert stove
    (i) most involve taking out the fireback (and chat to your installer as to whether you need to fully line the chimney)
    (ii) some stores slot in without taking out the fireback so cuts down on work for installation but the firebox tends to be a bit small on these plus choic is more limited.

with insert you can go matt or enamel. We went enamel cause felt the matt look fine when new but need maintenance - we looked at 2nd hand ones on donedeal and felt the enamel ages better. Also our room has a modern ish decoration so the enamel mixed in.
    traditional look or more modern look like stanley cara or henley apollo

b) stand alone stove but you may need to extend the hearth and they suit a bigger room as project into the room a bit

loads of choice and same between matt and enamel.

Loads of calculators online where you can work out the output of stove needed for your size of room

edit - to me your fireplace looks standard, ie ones that stove installers would come across every day

for an inset stove you will have to break away the fire back and clear it all out. its quite big

2012-08-30 21.14.43.jpg

From what I know if I break out the back the whole chimney comes down.

macjohn wrote: »
    Hi Robert,

it looks like you have a fairly standard 16 x 22

I stuck the tape on the width and its 15 inch exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fredgalway

Hi Robert The fireback is part of your fireplace not part of your chimney, removing it will not cause anything to fall. I suggest you get experienced installer to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You need a proper builder to ensure your fireplace will not fall down....
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/17022012141_zps15611f56.jpg
    Because you need to get this...
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/15022012128_zpscbf60b4d.jpg
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/IMG_0003_zpsa569a76c.jpg
    Into this..
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/15022012127_zps7538d148.jpg

To give you this...
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/IMG_0100_zps47469bef.jpg

So take heart and get rid of the fireback and install the fire of your dreams.

I would say this is a bungalow and I do not recommend this method of chimney support but you can get a big fire in a small hole if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

robertxxx wrote: »
    I stuck the tape on the width and its 15 inch exactly.

In simple terms from the "white" bit in your picture or the black bit?

The white bit is the fireback and it doesn't support anything - for most inserts this part would be removed.

If you give details of the size and type of the room and or area you want to heat you might get even more replies

Edit -
    Freduk -- that would be if the OP wanted to put in a large stove like yours, for an insert or standalone on the hearth the work would be much less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Less work with a stand alone. If it's just a room heater pick any you like. And there's nothin to fitting a n boiler one not even an hours work if u knew what u were doing.just make sure the flues good. I had a Stanley oisin for 9 years. It was just unbelievable. My Dad has it now. And it's still perfect. The heat is incredible for its size and Its good for a large enough room too.

My sitting room is 3.3m * 5.3m * 2.2m.

Here is some photos of up into the chimney, Note the pillow stuffed in to stop drafts.

So am i right in saying the block work is supporting the pre cast concrete lintel which in turn is allowing the open for the fireplace and most importantly is supporting the chimney so it cannot be removed, unless you want a huge building job involved.

The fire back is there to basically to shield the blocks in the chimney from the heat of the open fire and is not load bearing and can be removed.

DSC03998_zps991967c6.jpg

DSC03999_zpsc2314186.jpg

DSC04000_zpsf6b04862.jpg

DSC04001_zps799f681e.jpg

DSC04002_zps55d596ab.jpg

So i got up this morning and done this!................

Size of the open is 440mm wide 773mm high and 337mm depth.

Now all i need is a stove either a inset or a shallow stove as the heart is only 450mm.

DSC04004_zps2e0008f4.jpg

DSC04006_zps950678f0.jpg

DSC04008_zpsbbe1de6b.jpg

DSC04009_zps76e87c66.jpg

DSC04010_zps7d91dded.jpg

DSC04011_zpsce6096cb.jpg

Just finished it today, it was a bit of a c u next Tuesday connecting up the flue adaptor but got it sealed good and tight.

The chimney was unused, so I got it cleaned and smoke tested and all was ok.

image_zps6e9d60dc.jpg

image_zps03066b4b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

How did you seal your flue adapter...fire rope and fire cement?

Just curious about this as I have to one soon.

Just fire cement, I followed the instructions that came with the stove.

It's a tight fit even without the cement.
    The last log went on at 10.30 last night and the stove and the metal surround has a little heat in it.

Just fire cement, I followed the instructions that came with the stove.

It's a tight fit even without the cement.
    The last log went on at 10.30 last night and the stove and the metal surround has a little heat in it.

Advertisement