Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new laptop screen

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

It was a bit of a pain in the hole, but I followed the instructions in the manual and replaced the screen in an Acer 5741.

The new screen turns on, but it's just white light.
    I checked it by plugging my monitor into the VGA port and it's the same, so obviously I did something wrong.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When you plug into an external monitor, you can see it acting normally or that it's a white screen too?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Duggy747 wrote: »
    When you plug into an external monitor, you can see it acting normally or that it's a white screen too?

That's a white screen too.

What happened the old screen, was it cracked or it just burned out?

Could possibly be the GPU, I imagine you had the battery out while you were changing the screen?

What happened the old screen, was it cracked or it just burned out?

Could possibly be the GPU, I imagine you had the battery out while you were changing the screen?
    Yeah the battery was out.
    The old screen was cracked. Stood on to be exact.

Ok, just getting the obvious questions out of the way. By the sounds of it, especially if the machine was stood on, the GPU or motherboard is damaged.

By any chance was the white screen still showing up on the broken screen if you turned it on initially?

• Advertisement

Ok, just getting the obvious questions out of the way. By the sounds of it, especially if the machine was stood on, the GPU or motherboard is damaged.

By any chance was the white screen still showing up on the broken screen if you turned it on initially?

No. It was ok before I changed the screen. That's why I feel that it's my fault.

Took it apart again.
    One of the wires was frayed and it broke just now.
    I'd imagine that's what was causing the problem.
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement