Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to open a small convenient store in a village

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

hi

looking for advice/guidance

I am thinking of opening a small store in a village

I have worked in retail for over ten years but never ran my own business. I have worked at sales level , stock control and management level but in all cases it was controlled and run by a head office

I have never done any external courses on retail or business all my development is internally from each company I have worked for.

is there any couse I should / have to do before begining the venture into this

my major concerns are taxes,accounting etc rather then shop standards etc..

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You will find it hard to beat a "start your own business" course from the latest version of FAS,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I was in a similar position to you I worked for large retail companies for years from Sales roles up to Management and in the end was going out and getting the new stores up and running. I opened my own shop in February and can tell you I have learnt so much more in the last 9 months than I did in all the years working for someone else it is COMPLETELY different. I dived in head first without doing any courses and would definitely suggest not doing that! If you are good at basic match then the basic accounting is pretty straight forward you just need to make sure you stay on top of it although if you are going to be doing this all on your own then maybe look into using an accountant otherwise you will really not have any free time at all. I would suggest doing as many courses as you can while you have time before you have the shop open whether it be an introduction to accounting or taxation or running your own business etc the more prepared you can be the better.

Advertisement