Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of makeup salon in letterkenny!!

Options
  • 26-11-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I just want to bring to peoples attention a certain makeup/ beauty salon in letterkenny that I feel is potentially ripping people off.

I have noticed that they sell their own brand of makeup but that the majority of this makeup is bought of ebay and the likes!!!! I am after seeing an advertisement on their fb page for something that they are charging 30euro for but you can buy the exact product on ebay for 4euro with free shipping from HongKong!!!

Please stay clear of this makeup because it may not be up to standards. Also I would be wary of going to get your makeup done in this salon as I know for a fact own brand products are used!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

dizzymg wrote: »
    I just want to bring to peoples attention a certain makeup/ beauty salon in letterkenny that I feel is potentially ripping people off.

I have noticed that they sell their own brand of makeup but that the majority of this makeup is bought of ebay and the likes!!!!

How do you know they are buying from Ebay?
    I am after seeing an advertisement on their fb page for something that they are charging 30euro for but you can buy the exact product on ebay for 4euro with free shipping from HongKong!!!

Loads of rip-off stuff for sale on ebay... no evidence this place is selling it
    Please stay clear of this makeup because it may not be up to standards. Also I would be wary of going to get your makeup done in this salon as I know for a fact own brand products are used!!!

What do you mean by 'own brand' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dizzymg

Firblog wrote: »
    How do you know they are buying from Ebay?

Loads of rip-off stuff for sale on ebay... no evidence this place is selling it

What do you mean by 'own brand' ?

I cant go into any details as to how I know but somebody close to me has access to the information about it.

Its not rip of branded products im talking about.... I just want people to be aware of what they are getting if they bought products from the salon, when they could buy the exact product on ebay for fractions of the price.
    They are not doing anything illegal but If I didn't know about it and spent 30/40 euro on what I thought were high end products, and then realised they realy costed 3/4 euro on ebay I would be angry!! Also if I spent 25euro getting my makeup done, I would expect top quality products used not cheapies!!!!

By own brand I mean products aren't the usual mac, benefit, bare minerals etc... the products are branded with business logo.

I just want to make people aware of what they are getting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I get what you are saying OP but this thread could be about any company in letterkenny in fairness, or just any company in general really.

if you go into any shop and google a product 99% of the time you will find it cheaper online especially if you use ebay be it books, electronics, make up or clothes.

You also have to think about VAT etc or import duty on all these products

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The cheap cosmetics on eBay are the knockoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

OP, is the stuff being mis-sold ?

Are the customers being mislead to believe that it is top quality products when in actuality it's just re-labelled crap from eBay, which has unknown and questionable ingredients and safety ?

If so, then they should be reported.

If not , then it's just a case of buyer beware, I reckon (unfortunately).

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    OP, is the stuff being mis-sold ?

Are the customers being mislead to believe that it is top quality products when in actuality it's just re-labelled crap from eBay, which has unknown and questionable ingredients and safety ?

If so, then they should be reported.

If not , then it's just a case of buyer beware, I reckon (unfortunately).

Yes, customers are being sold re-labeled crap from ebay!!!

Thats the reason I started this threat because I was worried people were thinking that they were buying good quality products because of the price attracted but I would worry about ingredients and safety!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dizzymg wrote: »
    Yes, customers are being sold re-labeled crap from ebay!!!

Thats the reason I started this threat because I was worried people were thinking that they were buying good quality products because of the price attracted but I would worry about ingredients and safety!!
    Have you raised the issues with the proprietor?

muffler wrote: »
    Have you raised the issues with the proprietor?

Im not in a position to do this unless it was done anonymously, and I wouldnt know how to go about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Quite honestly I can't see what the story is here, seems like the salon is selling/using a product that can be purchased much more cheaply on ebay, now either the makeup on ebay is knockoff and the salon is selling genuine stuff which is more expensive, or they are buying the cheap stuff on ebay and selling it on, as the OP is suggesting.

Neither of which are in any way illegal.

If really worried
    I would worry about ingredients and safety!!

Then I would suggest that the OP contact http://www.consumerhelp.ie/ and report what they suspect; I'm sure it'll be looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

the Republic of Ireland soccer jerseys are made in China for €1 a throw.. they are for sale here for €50. (just saying)

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    Quite honestly I can't see what the story is here, seems like the salon is selling/using a product that can be purchased much more cheaply on ebay, now either the makeup on ebay is knockoff and the salon is selling genuine stuff which is more expensive, or they are buying the cheap stuff on ebay and selling it on, as the OP is suggesting.

Neither of which are in any way illegal.

If really worried

Then I would suggest that the OP contact http://www.consumerhelp.ie/ and report what they suspect; I'm sure it'll be looked into.

All I am trying to do is make people aware of it.
    I never said its sensational front page news and I know its not illegal, I never said it was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

the Republic of Ireland soccer jerseys are made in China for €1 a throw.. they are for sale here for €50. (just saying)

An item of clothing is not made from questionable material that could be hazardous to a persons health/skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

This thread appears to be about one particular salon, but gives no indication of which salon it is so now all it's really doing is making me unnecessarily skeptical of ALL of them, which isn't really fair.

I think the consumerhelp angle may be the way to go instead of being unable to substantiate claims being made.

I appreciate the good intentions of the thread but don't think it'll serve any purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The Irish Medicines Board regulate the sale of cosmetics in Ireland. If you have a concern for safety report the matter to them. http://www.imb.ie/EN/Cosmetics.aspx

nazzy wrote: »
    This thread appears to be about one particular salon, but gives no indication of which salon it is so now all it's really doing is making me unnecessarily skeptical of ALL of them, which isn't really fair.

I think the consumerhelp angle may be the way to go instead of being unable to substantiate claims being made.

I appreciate the good intentions of the thread but don't think it'll serve any purpose.

I dint think I was allowed to put name of salon up!
    Not many salons in letterkenny sell their own brand products.. if u stick to known brands like mac, bare minerals, benefit, urban decay you should be grand.

Advertisement