Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Koke wants Barca theres feck all we can do about it though.

TBH, I dont see us signing Cesc, I reckon its his people trying to angle a move for him to Utd/Arsenal more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Costa has passed medical according to sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Costa. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Costa deal all but done, medical passed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Costa has passed medical according to sky.

love that sky sports news yellow banner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Must have been a very easy medical, cos that hamstring of his must still be hammered.

Anyway, I don't think he is going to be a big hit in England. Time will tell and many will say he's suited to it, but I thought that Chelsea defenders handled him without too much bother when they met.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Must have been a very easy medical, cos that hamstring of his must still be hammered.

Anyway, I don't think he is going to be a big hit in England. Time will tell and many will say he's suited to it, but I thought that Chelsea defenders handled him without too much bother when they met.

We're lucky he doesnt have to play against the best defence in the league every week so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

NIMAN wrote: »

I think out of all the strikers in Spain he's the one most suited to the PL, certainly the most suited to Chelsea.

I think he'll do fantastic, especially if we go back to a 4-3-3. We've finally replaced Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Admittedly he will be playing against a lot of muck, so will see.

I suppose players like this are bought not to score plenty in the EPL, but the CL.

Only time will tell I suppose but one things for sure he's a definite upgrade on last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Phoenix wrote: »
    Torres has removed Chelsea player on his twitter so....

iv a candle lit, let it be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was gonna make a post about how Costa wasn't Atleti's best player (or even top 3) but then I remembered you've been strongly linked with those 3 too.

Koke is the one to get from that Atleti team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CSF wrote: »
    Was gonna make a post about how Costa wasn't Atleti's best player (or even top 3) but then I remembered you've been strongly linked with those 3 too.

Koke is the one to get from that Atleti team.

Time will tell how he does but he doesn't have to have been the best player at his old club, or this one, he just needs to score goals, something he did well last season.

Time will tell how he does but he doesn't have to have been the best player at his old club, or this one, he just needs to score goals, something he did well last season.

But not so well in seasons gone by. Don't get me wrong he is a big improvement on Torres, Eto'o and Ba but that wouldn't have been difficult. He won't flop by any means I just think many people who probably haven't watched that much Atletico this season have credited him with a larger role in this season's successes then I think should have been attributed to him.

For me, Koke and Courtois were the star performers with Miranda not far behind, Godin and Luis also better than Costa IMO.

Think that's a testament to just how good that Atleti team was though and it's upsetting to see it be likely to get torn apart.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Torres has removed Chelsea player on his twitter so....

Oh what might have been, I remember the week we signed him I was ribbing a pool friend and said we'd offered 50 million for him to which he replyed you wouldn't buy his right leg for that, I was delighted when we got him but I think the pool fans had the last laugh.

Im not worried about Costa but i am worried about keeping lukaku

But not so well in seasons gone by. Don't get me wrong he is a big improvement on Torres, Eto'o and Ba but that wouldn't have been difficult. He won't flop by any means I just think many people who probably haven't watched that much Atletico this season have credited him with a larger role in this season's successes then I think should have been attributed to him.

For me, Koke and Courtois were the star performers with Miranda not far behind, Godin and Luis also better than Costa IMO.

Think that's a testament to just how good that Atleti team was though and it's upsetting to see it be likely to get torn apart.

I get where you are coming from, I've watched a good bit of the Madrid teams this season but you can't under-estimate the importance of his goals for them. Atleti won a large amount of games by 1 goal and Costa scored the majority of the game changing goals.

He isn't massively involved in their build-up play, but he can he can hold the ball up, good in the air, he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and most importantly he can finish.

Don't think it's fair to criticize his previous record. This was his first season where he was the main man and he's stepped up and his goals have fired them to the title.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Im not worried about Costa but i am worried about keeping lukaku

Yep that's the flip side.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from, I've watched a good bit of the Madrid teams this season but you can't under-estimate the importance of his goals for them. Atleti won a large amount of games by 1 goal and Costa scored the majority of the game changing goals.

He isn't massively involved in their build-up play, but he can he can hold the ball up, good in the air, he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and most importantly he can finish.

Don't think it's fair to criticize his previous record. This was his first season where he was the main man and he's stepped up and his goals have fired them to the title.

As I said, he is a good player, and I expect him to improve the tally of goals Chelsea get from their strikers (hasn't been great since Drogba) but he isn't world class or verging on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

As I said, he is a good player, and I expect him to improve the tally of goals Chelsea get from their strikers (hasn't been great since Drogba) but he isn't world class or verging on it.

Thanks be ta fock.
    The last few world class strikers we've brought in have been by and large shyte.
    Be nice to have someone in who will give us a few goals!:pac:

I think I agree with this, I hope I'm wrong but I think he's a player after having a good season in Spain, I hope he can hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Is he the most elegant player? No. Will he beat 3 or 4 players at a time? No. But he is a fighter, he will give everything he has for 90 minutes, his methods might not always be text book and it may not always be pretty but generally whatever he tries to do tends to pay off. He is a player who can play with his back to goal and he is a player who has that rare gift, that gift that Drogba also had, of being able to occupy a 4 man backline on his own. His pace is understated but it's there and his power is really something to witness. He's a player who unlike many others like Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta ect. all of whom seemed destined for greatness from a young age, Costa has had to scratch and claw and, at times, quite literally fight his way to the top of the world game. He's the ideal Chelea number 9, but more than that, he is an inspirational figure around which the club can rally, the man is magnetic.

Ive seen enough from costa to suggest we're getting a goal scorer and a fighter. We've seriously lacked both in spades in the last 2 seasons. If we keep lukaku even if costa isnt playing well weve an excellent back up.

A bigger, quicker, power house of a back up.

I've no problem with a player who has to work hard to make up for a lack of ( shall we say ) natural ability, in fact I'd see it as a positive! After all our recently departed super frank may be put into that category I just hope that if we end up loosing lukaku that costa can insure we don't regret it.

Next fabregas

33 mill according to this video of pique at today's Spanish press conf

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20140604/pique-somos-candidatos-pero-unicos-favoritos/948450.shtml

translated page

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    E. Marín / Agencies
    RELATED NEWS
    Cesc seals deal with Mourinho to join Chelsea, who now negotiate his departure from Barcelona
    06/02/2014
    Gerard Piqué railed against FC Barcelona at the situation of his partner and friend Cesc Fabregas , who, as we reported Monday in 'Vozpópuli' , the last weekend was in London where he undertook with José Mourinho to play for Chelsea.

"A Cesc I love him, I know that is going through a difficult situation because the club is not valued as it deserves, " said the Catalan center from the concentration of the Spanish team in Washington, prior to the World Cup in Brazil. Then theoretically closed and microphone, Del Bosque told him that "he has told me that it's done," a clear reference to that Cesc agreement with Chelsea. He added: "They are already going for 33 million said to me."

Del Bosque Pique revealed that the midfielder has already closed out, the Catalan team and figures spoke up: "It's going for 33 million"
    Piqué knows closely mood midfielder and therefore did not hesitate to speak candidly when asked by his neighbor, who also will share a great friendship. "He is a player that any club in the world would be essential and basic part, a star of the team. however, the club is costing more, "said Barca player.

According to the central Barca and selection, "Cesc is a player that any club in the world would be essential and basic part, a star of the team"
    Precisely, that the argument most valued Cesc in his recent conversation with Mourinho. Portuguese Chelsea manager assured him to be the player who turn the London club next season. Upon the departure of English Frank Lampard, Fabregas will the cornerstone of Chelsea 2014-2015 and as such charge. Hence, the agreement closed with Mou in the presence of his agent, Darren Dein, waiting for the club owned by Roman Abramovich negotiate his transfer to the club.

At its meeting held this weekend in London, Mourinho guaranteed that Fabregas is the player who turn Chelsea next season
    Pique also hides doubts Cesc to stay in Barcelona, ​​although publicly said that ignores the decision finally taken. "do not know what will do, we have not talked about this," he said, although it is aware that, given the circumstances, next season will not share dressing room with him and so escaped later.

"I hope to continue," said Pique, who argued his desires. "Displaying his stats this year, is the midfield player who has gotten more goals and more assists gave. Clearly I want to continue with us, "he reiterated Catalan, although without any faith, because, as he said Del Bosque . "told me it's made ​​by 33 million" The coach's response was: "No trouble going to win for president, what are you going to go crazy" , in reference to Josep Maria Bartomeu.

http://vozpopuli.com/deportes/44421-pique-confirma-el-acuerdo-de-cesc-con-el-chelsea-y-lo-justifica-en-el-barca-no-se-le-valora-como-merece

I still think Torres will come good lads.

Our year.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

right-o.gif

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    Next fabregas

33 mill according to this video of pique at today's Spanish press conf

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20140604/pique-somos-candidatos-pero-unicos-favoritos/948450.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Johner wrote: »

What was said? in english?

He said Cesc said being at Arsenal was like living in an orphanage where he was regularly beaten with a broom and fed gruel and that Chelsea is his new home and that he loves his new family.

Or along those lines.

Rough translation Cesc said to him "I'd be honoured to play for such an amazing club as Chelsea F.C. they have such class, such power, such finese, they are the power houses of English football at the moment and have one of if not the best managers in the world at the helm. I'd happily play for free for Chelsea F.C."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Panthro wrote: »
    Rough translation Cesc said to him "I'd be honoured to play for such an amazing club as Chelsea F.C. they have such class, such power, such finese, they are the power houses of English football at the moment and have one of if not the best managers in the world at the helm. I'd happily play for free for Chelsea F.C."

Such class:)

Such class:)

Class.

• Advertisement

If this transfer happens, and it's looking more and more likely, you might never remove the smile from my face.

If this transfer happens, and it's looking more and more likely, you might never remove the smile from my face.
    I dread the influx of well wishing Arsenal fans to the thread personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Panthro wrote: »
    I dread the influx of well wishing Arsenal fans to the thread personally.

Best of luck lads

In the last couple of minutes Rafael Hernandez has tweeted:

"Roger Saperas on RAC1 confirms Fàbregas is off to Chelsea for €33m plus add ons."

In the last couple of minutes Rafael Hernandez has tweeted:

"Roger Saperas on RAC1 confirms Fàbregas is off to Chelsea for €33m plus add ons."

He watched the video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are Chelsea planning on shifting anyone on from the middle? Its getting mighty crowed in there.

peteeeed wrote: »
    He watched the video

Perhaps but Hernandez has gone on to tweet:

"Yes, RAC1 is reliable for Barcelona related stuff but they've missed like any other outlet before. Saperas seems very confident of it."

Personally I'm very confident with that recommendation of outlet and the journalist.

mike65 wrote: »
    Are Chelsea planning on shifting anyone on from the middle? Its getting mighty crowed in there.

Lampard , Mikel

mike65 wrote: »

Not really. For the deep-lying play-maker role there is no one now that Lamps is gone.

We have Mikel, Ramires, Matic, Van Ginkel. That's assuming we play 4-2-3-1, we could easily move back to a 4-3-3 which would be more accommodating.

Matic
    Fab
    Ramires

I could see Mikel leaving though if a good offer came in.

That's all well and good but if any nations tabloid journalism is worse than the UK's for fabricating stories it's Spain's.

Not really. For the deep-lying play-maker role there is no one now that Lamps is gone.

We have Mikel, Ramires, Matic, Van Ginkel. That's assuming we play 4-2-3-1, we could easily move back to a 4-3-3 which would be more accommodating.

Matic
    Fab
    Ramires

I could see Mikel leaving though if a good offer came in.

I could see mikel go if any offer comes in, I have nothing personally against him and he is solid but it's time to upgrade.

That's all well and good but if any nations tabloid journalism is worse than the UK's for fabricating stories it's Spain's.

He's definitely leaving, Pique said as much in the video, even said the figure. We're pretty much the only club linked with him, he was in London a few days ago. I think we may have pulled off quite the coup.

Costa and Fabregas in the same day?

He's definitely leaving, Pique said as much in the video, even said the figure. We're pretty much the only club linked with him, he was in London a few days ago. I think we may have pulled off quite the coup.

Costa and Fabregas in the same day?

And for about €15 million more than we got for Luiz if the figures are correct. :eek:

Or is Costa's release fee 32 million pounds? Either way it would be brilliant business.

I think Fabregas will slot in alongside Matic with a bit of licence to get forward. Of course, if needs be, he can also play as the number 10.

Matic, Fabregas

Willian, Oscar, Hazard

Costa

It's fantasy football stuff.

I could see mikel go if any offer comes in, I have nothing personally against him and he is solid but it's time to upgrade.

We'd be a bit light in cover for DM now that Lamps and Luiz are gone though. I wouldn't be against keeping him personally, I think despite some obvious short comings he'd provide excellent cover for Matic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement