Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Diving

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Looking at a possible career change in the near future. I am a keen scuba diver but have always found an interest with commercial divers. I have no construction background but have been told by some dive schools that this is not necessary. I plan to take a try dive at The Underwater Centre in Fort William in February.

What I am really wondering is:

Is it an occupation that there is a job to find with hard work?

Where are the best dive schools?

It is quite expensive obviously for the training so I want to get as much info in the coming months before settling on it.

Anything would be helpful,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 absolutek

Similar story to you. Always loved recreational diving, so I thought I'd take it to the next level and take my commercial diving course. I chose BC College of Diving in Canada. The price was good and the certification is accepted worldwide. They also have a school in Cancun (wish I took it there..haha). The first course is an unrestricted 40meter occupational scuba diver course and is only 5 weeks long (think it's 4 weeks in the Mexico location) and gives you a good idea if commercial diving is really for you without investing tons of time and money.

I started working right after I finished the course and then I continued with a few more courses through them, now I'm certified surface supply diver (which means more jobs and more money). It's all worked out great for me, not sure that everyone would say the same, but I've enjoyed my experience and I am happy to share more info with you. Their websites are: www.bccollegeofdiving.com and www.cancuncollegeofdiving.com Cool stuff on their Facebook too www.facebook.com/cancuncollegeofdiving Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

what exactly is involved in the unrestricted 40meter occupational scuba diver course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew14D

Cheers for the quick reply abdolutek. Had a look st the websites but was considering something bit closer to home. Possibly UK based. You have any ideas for that. Plus would love to know a bit more about getting a job in the industry and how to go about it on completion of a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 absolutek

Big Duffman - there was both classroom time and dive time. Classroom focuses on diving physics, physiology, DCIEM tables, dive accident management training, diving techniques, procedures, communications for line pulls, report writing, boat operations etc. etc.

The diving was my favourite part and there was lots of it...different types of depths, tests, situations and things that I have found practical in the work place.

Andrew - I was really lucky, the owner of the school I went to also owns a commercial diving services company and hired me right after finishing the course. I have also done some union work (pays great) and some private work. A lot of the guys in my course all have steady jobs, it's a pretty tight group of people and you just have to network. I don't think it's as tough as some people make it out to be. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

I know a few commercial divers here in ireland and the work here is not as aplenty as abroad . If you wanted to work in this line be preparred to travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Andrew14D wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking at a possible career change in the near future. I am a keen scuba diver but have always found an interest with commercial divers. I have no construction background but have been told by some dive schools that this is not necessary. I plan to take a try dive at The Underwater Centre in Fort William in February.

What I am really wondering is:

Is it an occupation that there is a job to find with hard work?

Where are the best dive schools?

It is quite expensive obviously for the training so I want to get as much info in the coming months before settling on it.

Anything would be helpful,

Cheers

From http://www.professionaldivingacademy.com/bbc-reports-offshore-windfarms-expansion/
    it is now apparent that today’s generation of commercial divers are going to play an increasingly vital role in the installation of the massive new green infrastructure that is going to power the UK and many other nations into the future. Like the platforms and rigs associated with offshore oil and gas recovery, wind turbines are going to require regular inspection, maintenance and repair work. This is undoubtedly going to provide commercial diving work for a great many years to come. A proper and realistic diver training program is essential for personal success in this marketplace and because of our close association with the companies, operations managers and diving supervisors involved with these contracts; the Professional Diving Academy remains in a privileged position amongst training providers, where we can teach our candidates the very latest industry relevant working techniques.”

I was thinking in doing the commercial diving as well ... But looking into an ROV career atm ... decisions ... decisions

Make sure you get your HSE certs

TUC in Fort william Or PDA in Argyll are both giving training in Surface supplied

Advertisement