Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Treimhse sa Gaeltacht

Options
  • 27-11-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm in first year and we have to decide in the next few days where to book for Irish College. I was just wondering has anyone any opinions on the Gaeltacht areas, in particular what are Colaiste na Rinne and Chorca Dhuibhne like? I've heard pretty bad reviews about Chorca Dhuibhne and have been told an Rinn is very good. Has anybody been to these colleges in the past?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Corca Dhuibhne is made up of (I think) 4 colleges. Min Aird, Feothanach, Baile an Fheirtéaraigh and Ceann Trá/Fionn Trá. I got to spend 3 weeks in Minard in 2008 and it was fantastic. It's down to the luck of the draw though, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheUkeLearner

Went last year as a B.Ed 1st Year! About 95% of us ended up in Dingle so I'd say stick with that one! The night life was unreal and I was fortunate enough to have an unreal teacher and bean an tí! TBH, no Gaeltacht was 'amazing' or 'the best'. All came back with mixed reviews, so its different for everybody!

*Most of the complaints made by our year were to benift the year below us (making us the guinea pigs). The most common complaint I guess was the time of year, because we had to go for our Easter Holidays and spend it Easter in Dingle, therefore giving us no holidays. The weather was freezing and some of the teachers were absolutely shocking

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In fairness the standard for 3rd level teachers would have to be reasonable at either place. An Rinn is a tiny area with little enough spoken Irish in the area. The colleges west of Dingle itself would be my choice. (Mín Ard is kind of a state of mind rather than a place and is a bit more of distance from Dingle town than say FíonnTrá)

Advertisement