Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-dog attack device?!

Options
  • 27-11-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

I may have just discovered a way too make my ewes fairly safe from dog attacks. I kind of thought of it by accident, its called the electric gate!!

I have a perimeter electric fence and only two gates onto the road that sheep are in. the plan is to tie some electric tape/twine from the fence to the gate and bingo anything that touches the gate gets fried, literally:)!
    I don't use the gates very much maybe once a month, I access through the yard and down to the fields that way.

I did have reservations of safety, damage to my mains fence blah blah, but then I thought what the heck would anyone be doing tampering or rooting at my field gates without permission from me anyway bar of course up to no good, eg sheep/cattle rustling!
    now the only thing is I don't have much evidence or data as to how dogs that attack sheep gain entry to fields:confused:. But my watching my own dog and the way he enters fields I see that it is usually under the gate by arching his back, thus if a dog or dogs are on the prowl and go to go under the gate like this they get a wallop that will leave them running back down to their very responsible owners quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.
    Likewise to would-be thieves or any others tampering with a gate,(God help any poor unfortunates caught short on the way home on a sat night!)

Now to the crux would it help, is it ethical and has anyone ever done this before?? I just think that the first places rogue dogs try is the gate surely, if they get a belt then that would be the end of them near that field for good?
    by the way the fence is very powerful, left a red mark on my back one day getin under it, it literally knocked me on the ground.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Put up a sign on the fence to warn people of the danger. Second, put up some rope in front of the fence so someone would have to cross the rope to touch the fence.

Should ward off the liability brigade.

Other than that, it might just work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sounds like a good idea - in my experience even the most brazen of dogs keep well clear of any type of electric shock deterrent. As the previous post said a warning sign will alert people to its presence, in any case its really just a fancy type of electric fence that is used widely to control stock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

yes as said, put up a sign.

hang it high so the dogs can't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ha yeah, basically the gate will be alive! it would be great to be able to sleep at night espically near lambing time without a niggling thought of what might be going on in your own field. id take a family of foxes in the fiels over a rogue dog anyday, I heard that a flock of sheep will not budge if lying down in a field if a fox walks through them , however if a dog came to the gate of a field it sends them into a mad panic, did any one else hear this? hopefully it will work, its the best I can think of anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Your gonna have to insulate the hangers of the gate, or your just earthing the whole system.

Or give him a belt of this instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement