Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data protection complaint

Options
  • 27-11-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I was wondering if the following is grounds for a complaint.

The local pizza shop where I got take out from (hut of the pizza lets say) closed and another business took over, different name, think banana republic but pizza related.

Anyway, I understand the first place could contact me, as I didn't opt out of being contacted. But the new business has sent me unsolicited text messages and flyer drops to the house using my name.

This would lead me to think that they simply sold on their previous customers list to the next business. That somewhat annoys me and I was wondering if anyone knows if they are in breach of the data protection laws so I can give them my best angry Victor Meldrew!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Firstly are you sure they're 2 different companies, both are franchises so the owner could have just changed sides or sold the business to someone who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You could just ask them to take you off their mailing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Hi I was wondering if the following is grounds for a complaint.

The local pizza shop where I got take out from (hut of the pizza lets say) closed and another business took over, different name, think banana republic but pizza related.

Anyway, I understand the first place could contact me, as I didn't opt out of being contacted. But the new business has sent me unsolicited text messages and flyer drops to the house using my name.

This would lead me to think that they simply sold on their previous customers list to the next business. That somewhat annoys me and I was wondering if anyone knows if they are in breach of the data protection laws so I can give them my best angry Victor Meldrew!!

If the company was acquired by the current owner then they would have also bought the customer list. Provided that they are using the list for the same purposes as before and you have opted in to receive communications then there is no data protection issue here. You simply have to opt out of the list if you don;t want to receive more messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pizza Hut has gone through franchise difficulties in Ireland. It is extremely likely it's the same business with a new name above the door.

Advertisement