Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German plug in to UK plug?

Options
  • 27-11-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I just ordered some pc stuff from Germany, didn't take in to to consideration that it also would come with German plugs, I can't seem to find any shops in Dublin that sell an adapter for a German plug > our plugs, does anyone know where I can get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

I don't know if I'd be able to do that, would a DIY shop do it for me if I brought it in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd be able to do that, would a DIY shop do it for me if I brought it in?

any good electrical wholesalers will do that for you no problem .
    maplin electronics sell the adaptors and will also chop off the plug and put a new plug on for you if you want to do that instead. go down back of shop to the parts and cable counter and ask the lad to do that for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

You will void the warranty of your new PC stuff cutting off the plugs, wouldn't recommend that.

You will void the warranty of your new PC stuff cutting off the plugs, wouldn't recommend that.

I think it would only void the warranty of the power supply, anyway, I'll only do it if they don't have the adaptor I need, or if the adaptor hinders the channel somehow.

• Advertisement

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I think it would only void the warranty of the power supply, anyway, I'll only do it if they don't have the adaptor I need, or if the adaptor hinders the channel somehow.
    If you had to return an item you would have to return the power supply that came with it and if they saw the original plug cut off it they would render guarantee on whole product non void, not just the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im guessing he ordered for hardwareversand.de in which case he got all components seperately so they all come with their own waranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I'm guessing here - but if the lead you need to change for the power supply has a kettle plug end (like the lead you would plug into a kettle) somebody on here that lives near you might be able to throw one your way. That way you have the original German one to return if anything goes wrong. I'm sure I have some of these at home. I'll check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

adapters are in tesco and lots of other shops and are only 5€, i use them all the time. dont bother cutting cables

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Get an adapter in Argos for a fiver i think.
    Have one for my rice cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would very much doubt that.
    The warranty would have to stand even if the device was returned without the power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

one of the big UK retailers had a warning on their website that the warranty was voided on appliances if you cut off moulded plugs

not sure they could make it stand up in court
    I never cut them off appliances just to avoid possible hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As noted abovem many computer devices have detachable leads, if so then just use one from an old appliance. Most people who have had a few computers over the years have several lying around .

2011 wrote: »
    I would very much doubt that.
    The warranty would have to stand even if the device was returned without the power cable.
    And would the warranty stand if the appliance had not a removable power cord and its original plug cut off?

I have cut cables before on some items when I moved home from Europe. But most of the EU plugs I still use, have about 10 adaptors

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

And would the warranty stand if the appliance had not a removable power cord and its original plug cut off?

Yes, unless it could be demonstrated that removal of the plug had caused or contributed to the failure of the unit.

I have cut cables before on some items when I moved home from Europe. But most of the EU plugs I still use, have about 10 adaptors

Adaptors are not a great long term solution.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went up to Maplin and got one there, I also contacted the manufacturer of the power supply unit to ask if they sell the plug for UK/Ire socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

As said you can get them in tesco for E5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Adaptors are not a great long term solution.

well I also "converted" a few EU extension leads, deffo chopped plugs on them

Advertisement