Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Melbourne Please!

Options
  • 27-11-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone. Myself and my better half are moving to Melbourne at the start of Feb, was looking for some up to date info on jobs, places to live, etc.

We both have degrees and she's in the food industry while I've a years financial services exp. (funds) & 2 years telecoms/property. We're seeking a new challenge so looking for something solid with perhaps the possibility of sponsorship (how tough is the market there at the moment?).

We've heard St Kilda/Elwood are the best places to live for the Irish but we're open to other suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

You'll get more relevant responses here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1121

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Mollysback wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Myself and my better half are moving to Melbourne at the start of Feb, was looking for some up to date info on jobs, places to live, etc.

We both have degrees and she's in the food industry while I've a years financial services exp. (funds) & 2 years telecoms/property. We're seeking a new challenge so looking for something solid with perhaps the possibility of sponsorship (how tough is the market there at the moment?).

We've heard St Kilda/Elwood are the best places to live for the Irish but we're open to other suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Why live with other Irish people? If you want to make a real go of it, live with Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mollysback

Well we're also considering that. Hence why I said "we're open to suggestions"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Live with who you want. Irish, Australian or anyone else, but yes St Kilda and all that area are great especially in the summer. Get yourself a bike and cycle in along the grand prix track into the city in no time.

Areas in the south east are pretty good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

I've been in St. Kilda for a good few months and I think it's a lovely spot - close to beach, good buzz around Ackland Street, gigs at The Esplanade / Palais Theatre, close to Chapel Street (think coffee shops and "Hipsters") as well as good tram transport to City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

St Kilda is the big pit stop for travellers/backpackers in Melbourne. It can be a good starting point as long as you don't get sucked into the non stop partying/drinking goon social circle (espec if your aim is sponsorship)
    Yes, there are a lot of Irish but there are also a lot of English, Canadian and various European nationalities living in and around St Kilda. Alongside them, there are a number of marginalised attracted to the area because of a few half way houses, crises centres/charities and drugs. Don't book your first night accomodation at the Gatwick Hotel. St Kilda is a real melting pot but everyone gets on.

However, as mentioned there are many suburbs worth living in that all have their own merit. It depends on what you want from your experience
    in Melbourne.

Living near a beach (even if it is a bay beach) can be nice during the summer.

We're heading into the dead period (Christmas/Summer holidays) until last week of January. Sometimes even Feb is a bit dead. I know of some people who've arrived recently and are finding it tough to get anything. A lot of folk try and get their regional work done early so they have leeway into a second year visa and less pressure to secure the sponsorship as soon as they arrive. Don't assume that you will get that dream job straight away. It can be a bit of a process here unless you a) possess a highly sought after qualification or b) know someone to get your foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Mollysback wrote: »

If you both have degrees then why do you want to get sponsored. Have a look at getting independent residency straight up. Sponsorship is possibly the worst visa to be on over here. Are you coming on a whv? Have a look for a good Mara registered agent and get some advice on what visa to go for.

Advertisement