Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Upgrades/Keys etc

• 27-11-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

One of our managers asked me to take a look at their personal machine the other day. It's a Sony Vaio running Win 7 Home Premium 32-Bit that they bought some extra RAM for (it had 4GB, they bought another 4GB). Naturally of course the RAM is seen fine by the laptop itself, but not by 32-Bit Windows.

However I'm a bit out of the loop on the "consumer" side these days as I either buy DELL's with preloaded images for myself or use Volume keys for machines in the office. Whats the options here - the Anytime Upgrade option isn't working so I presume they'll need to buy a key (for preferably Win 7 Pro x64, but Home Premium will do too)

A quick search of Amazon shows lots of places offering "genuine" keys but these all seem to be OEM keys that they've presumably just taken off the hardware (although they seem to work fine based on reviews). I'd rather recommend a "proper" solution though that won't cost over 100-ish

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Your Windows 7 32Bit license code will work fine with the 64Bit version. You just need to locate 64Bit media. You cannot "upgrade" from 32-64Bit so a clean install is required. You can get Digital River Windows 7 isos online which are legally available online. You then use the product key below the laptop to install and activate the version your license is for, in this instance Home Premium.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

yoyo wrote: »
    Your Windows 7 32Bit license code will work fine with the 64Bit version. You just need to locate 64Bit media. You cannot "upgrade" from 32-64Bit so a clean install is required. You can get Digital River Windows 7 isos online which are legally available online. You then use the product key below the laptop to install and activate the version your license is for, in this instance Home Premium.

Nick

Ah that's even better! Much appreciated! Will do that so! :)

Advertisement