Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up Outlook emails

Options
  • 27-11-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

I'm currently migrating a client's email hosting from one service to another. With this move will come new email settings which I'll need the client to enter on his Outlook client to continue receiving his mail. However, am I right in saying that when he does this and his emails download, it will erase any existing mail in Outlook?

I'm working remotely on this so don't have access to his computer to check, but I'm pretty sure it's a POP account he uses currently. Basically we're just trying to transition from one host to another with minimal downtime and disruption.

What would someone recommend as the best process to explain to someone with little knowledge of this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just backup the .pst file?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

davo2001 wrote: »
    Just backup the .pst file?

Thanks! Sorry if it was obvious but I don't use Outlook myself and found conflicting reports as to whether or not that would be the best solution.

So if I save the .PST, change the settings (after which the inbox will probably go blank), then I can just restore all the emails to the same inbox by loading the pst file? Or will they form a new inbox with just the old emails?

Advertisement