Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Understand PS3 Capture Options

Options
  • 27-11-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I am a tech aware (but gaming ignorant) dad looking to deal with a christmas present request.

My son is looking for game footage capture equipment as a christmas present and I want to ensure I get something that will work in our home environment.

A lot of the capture hardware that I have found on google seems to assume relative proximity between the console and the PC being used to record (as in the TEE off the video connection between the console and the TV and ship it off to the PC). That is my first problem, the play-station is in a separate room to the PC and even if range allowed i don't want to be tripping over cables.

So I am looking for a more portable solution, something that can capture and store the video at the console and then be brought to the PC and have the captured video copied over to the PC.

Second area of concern is that most (all?) of what I have found on google has accompanying Windows software - we don't have a windows PC in the house (all are Linux) but it's not clear if the provided software is just some optional utilities or if it is required to make the captured video usable at the PC.

So second requirement is that the captured video should be in some standard format that can be read on any computer (h264 or similar).

Oh and of course he wants it do do HD!! (but for me 720 vs 1080i is negotiable)

I'd really appreciate a steer on this from the experts:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From Playstation.

Better equipped to answer your query here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You can get devices like the avermedia live gamer portable that don't require a PC connection to do recordings, and therefore generally don't require software.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVerMedia-C875-Portable-Capture-Xbox360/dp/B00C1EO536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385555557&sr=8-1&keywords=avermedia+live+gamer+portable

Some of these devices will do up to 1080p but usually 720p is your best option (don't use 1080i, interlacing can cause action games to look a bit muck).

I have to warn you- if your son gets into recording in a big way, whether you like it or not a windows or mac machine might be in your future :D

EDIT: Forgot to say- you need to be aware that PS3 has HDCP encoding on its HDMI signal. You need to either ensure that your recording device is fine with component signal (that is unencoded) or investigate a HDCP splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Elgato game capture HD is the best one to get. HD pvr is another but I wouldn't recommend it with all it's wires hanging out everywhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Elgato game capture HD is the best one to get. HD pvr is another but I wouldn't recommend it with all it's wires hanging out everywhere.

I think you didn't read the op fully, he needs devices that don't require pcs.

Advertisement