Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win a fourball - Nominate your under rated golf courses here!

• 27-11-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so I am going to take a survey of the boards.ie golfing fraternity and create a slightly alternative list to Golf Digests Top 100. What I want is for people to nominate any golf clubs they feel are under rated and you can nominate 1 course or 10 courses I really dont mind. Each nomination counts as 1 vote irrespective of whether it is first or last in your list.

While I'm looking to unearth hidden gems and give recognition to decent but unsung clubs entry is open to all courses, even ones in the Top 100 :P sure I'll even allow NAMA votes :eek:

Entries will close at midnight on Sunday 8th December and the list will be published here some time on Monday 9th.

For every 'genuine' entry I will put all names in a hat and give a fourball in Moate to whoever gets pulled out. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hi Andy,

1. Moate
    2. Moate

mr-motivator-then-431x300.jpg

9. Moate
    10. Moate

Nice idea in fairness. My lunchtime is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate takes an early lead :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My 5 favourite courses in no particular order:

Mount Wolseley
    Tullamore
    Esker Hills
    Moate
    Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Dunmurry Springs
    The Heritage
    Headfort New
    Luttrelstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

This is my current top 10 of courses I have played:
    Adare
    Old Head
    Killarney
    Mount Juliet
    Heritage
    Palmerstown
    Cork GC
    Dromoland
    Dundrum
    Lee Valley

• Advertisement

While I cant win the fourball (obviously) I am voting for Moate, Athy, Kilcock, Heritage, Dungarvan and West Waterford as they are all courses I really enjoy playing but (Heritage aside) do not really get mentioned in established lists. As you can see I'm a parkland fan :D

Up the underdog!!

My four are

Wicklow GC: really think that's underrated, one of the best opening tee shots around and it doesn't disappoint as you continue. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/8905920522/in/set-72157621756925483/

Corballis: You might be taking you're life into your own hands some days but it's worth it, really nice links and definitely underrated maybe due to it being a public course. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157621893813660/

Mulranny: A 9 hole course so it will never qualify for most lists, an beauty of a little links course. Some real quirks, it's not often you have to open a gate to get onto each green. (If you have a look at Kevins pics you'll see why the greens need to be protected)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157624844532155/

Carne: Haven't played it yet but com'on Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

New Forest.

I always enjoy playing it, although I havent been there in a long time. Right from when you arrive at the gates it just gives you a good "golf" feeling. Cant describe it any better than that. Cold showers leave a bit of a bad taste though :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Balbriggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Killeen
    Naas
    Esker Hills
    Balbriggan
    Royal Tara
    Kilcock
    Dunmurray Springs
    Castlewarden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Right, so I am going to take a survey of the boards.ie golfing fraternity and create a slightly alternative list to Golf Digests Top 100. What I want is for people to nominate any golf clubs they feel are under rated and you can nominate 1 course or 10 courses I really dont mind. Each nomination counts as 1 vote irrespective of whether it is first or last in your list.

[/B]

Andy, You beat me to it by 11 minutes! Jammy.

I'm doing a top 10 links and parkland hidden gems list at the moment. Maybe I'll change the name from hidden gems to 'most under-rated'.

I saw your list of five - one of those is on my list (not Moate I am sorry to say)... but can I just ask a question... Dungarvan? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Rathcore
    Bit biased but can't believe it not in the top 100 list

Andy, You beat me to it by 11 minutes! Jammy.

I'm doing a top 10 links and parkland hidden gems list at the moment. Maybe I'll change the name from hidden gems to 'most under-rated'.

I saw your list of five - one of those is on my list (not Moate I am sorry to say)... but can I just ask a question... Dungarvan? Really?

Kevin, courses make it on to various lists for various reasons and apart from the quirky 2nd hole with the wierd dogleg to the green I like Dungarvan. I suppose the fact that I am always on holidays down there when I play it with my son - usually in August - is a factor and the fact that I had my first ever eagle there earlier this year also helps.

thoscon wrote: »
    Rathcore
    Bit biased but can't believe it not in the top 100 list

I'm sure there wasnt a single solitary biased vote in the Golf Digest list :rolleyes: but even the most biased of biased votes are welcome here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

The courses I've really been impressed with this year are,

1. Hermatige
    2. The Curragh
    3. Gowran Park
    4. Corballis
    5. Beaverstown
    6. Portarlington
    7. Adare
    8. Killeen
    9. Craddockstown
    10. The Heath ( I love the sheep )

some nice golf there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I'm going to name my top ten purely based on how much I enjoyed playing them and/or would like to play them again:

1. Adare
    2. Castlemartyr
    3. Druids Glen
    4. Slieve Russell
    5. Dromoland
    6. Killarney Killeen
    7. Esker Hills
    8. Portumna
    9. Ougtherard (sic?)
    10. New Forest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Beechpark (especially the back nine) deserves a mention.
    Always enjoy playing Oughterard and always in good condition.
    Ballinrobe is pure class and well deserving of the best parkland in Connaught so surprised to not see it further up the top 100 list.
    Although on the list always enjoy playing Beaverstown, great greens.
    Curragh also is a lot more challenging and scenic than you'd expect.

Some very interesting nominations so far including 27 courses I've never played. Despite a bright start Moate is slipping down so come on Moate fans dont let me down ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If it's under rated Andy then I can't believe that Macreddin has not been mentioned, it's not in the recent Golf Digest Top 100 which is inexplicable as it has to be top 30 at least of the parklands of Ireland.
    My sole nomination is Macreddin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Naas
    Tulfarris

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    If it's under rated Andy then I can't believe that Macreddin has not been mentioned, it's not in the recent Golf Digest Top 100 which is inexplicable as it has to be top 30 at least of the parklands of Ireland.

First vote for Macreddin, I've never played it myself. Heard it's a bit of a brute length wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

10 most under-rated clubs I’ve played on the whole Island of Ireland (as opposed to the top 10):

1. Hermitage
    2. Greystones
    3. Esker Hills
    4. Lisburn
    5. Portmarnock Links
    6. Greencastle
    7. Balcarrick
    8. Corballis
    9. Blainroe
    10. Hollystown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Portumna and Carne are the two most underated courses I have played. Both are wonderful places to be.

Fescue wrote: »
    Portumna and Carne are the two most underated courses I have played. Both are wonderful places to be.

I wouldn't have thought that Carne was under-rated: http://www.carnegolflinks.com/awards.html

Played it quite a few times, always enjoyed it, but you need good climbing skills if you hit a few shots offline.

Never played Portumna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

golfwallah wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that Carne was under-rated: http://www.carnegolflinks.com/awards.html

Played it quite a few times, always enjoyed it, but you need good climbing skills if you hit a few shots offline.

Never played Portumna!

Portumna is beautiful.

I didn't realise Carne had received so many awards but that doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that a course of such appeal isn't in the Golf Digest top 10 in Ireland. So for me its underated although I see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

In no particular order

The Curragh
    Castlerock
    Carlow
    Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
    Baltray
    Tullamore
    Mullingar
    Ballybunion (Old)
    Tramore
    Dundalk

slave1 wrote: »

I was going to mention Macreddin but I said I wouldn't because most people I know rate it very highly.
    So it's getting a "non mention" in protest to Golf Digest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

PARlance wrote: »
    I was going to mention Macreddin but I said I wouldn't because most people I know rate it very highly.
    So it's getting a "non mention" in protest to Golf Digest :)

+1 for Macreddin based on it not being top 100. Especially when I see somewhere like Blainroe in top 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Has anyone said Woodenbridge?
    Fantastic course and an amazing walk on a sunny day through the valley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..Heard it's a bit of a brute length wise...
    I'm like you and play Moate mostly, I arose at 5.30 drove from Athlone to play Macreddin and then Tulfarris and walked both, pushing my trolly for the final 9 and was fine for the drive home and next day, I think to truly appreciate Macreddin it should be walked, truly a walk not spoiled.
    Get there next year, you will not regret the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Cruit Island is a great little nine hole links that is hugely enhanced by the breathtaking scenery on view for the player.
    It rarely if ever seems to get a mention in dispatches

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

My pick would be Dundrum Co. Tipp, some beautiful holes everyone very different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 irishgolfer

My top ten is going to be based on courses not listed in any of the top 30 lists, and courses that hold opens at reasonable prices..ie 25 euro and under

In no particular order

Dundalk
    Douglas
    Connamara
    Ardglass
    Strandhill
    Royal Tara
    Naas
    Corrstown (In particular the orchard nine)
    Thurles
    Royal Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Macroom,
    not a course you hear much about,
    play in the scratch cup there every year and always enjoy it,
    the front 9 is the original course,mature,tree-lined and very undulating,while it is short its difficult to score well on it.
    the back 9 is much more modern,more bunkers and water hazards,again not long but never easy to score well.The greens are all small so even hitting short irons into them makes hitting G.I.R. a challenge.I always find the course in excellent shape and always a nice atmosphere in the clubhouse.
    I've often thought if i wasn't a member in Killarney where would i play,i think Macroom would probably be my choice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

royal tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

golfwallah wrote: »
    10 most under-rated clubs I’ve played on the whole Island of Ireland (as opposed to the top 10):

1. Hermitage
    2. Greystones
    3. Esker Hills
    4. Lisburn
    5. Portmarnock Links
    6. Greencastle
    7. Balcarrick
    8. Corballis
    9. Blainroe
    10. Hollystown

Have only played 5, 9 and 10.
    I think Portmarnock Links over rated, surprised to see it so high up the list. It's a fine course with some lovely holes, especially the finishing stretch but I wouldn't have placed it so high up.
    Blainroe is nice with some quirky holes and beautiful scenery but think it's about fair ranking wise.
    Hollystown has a lot going for it and I should be biased as I'm a member but it's greens are consistently shocking and severely let it down.

I'd second someone's previous vote for Wicklow, underrated course and quite tricky and even if playing badly there are always great views to admire.

Have only played 5, 9 and 10.
    I think Portmarnock Links over rated, surprised to see it so high up the list. It's a fine course with some lovely holes, especially the finishing stretch but I wouldn't have placed it so high up.
    Blainroe is nice with some quirky holes and beautiful scenery but think it's about fair ranking wise.
    Hollystown has a lot going for it and I should be biased as I'm a member but it's greens are cocsistently shocking and severely let it down.

I'd second someone's previous vote for Wicklow, underrated course and quite tricky and even if playing badly there are always great views to admire.

Have also recently played courses like the European, K Club (both courses), The Heritage, Dundalk, Carne, Connemara, Rosses Point, Ballyliffin, Roganstown, Northwest (Buncrana), The Island, Malahide, Killeen, Glen of the Downs, but wouldn’t be inclined to describe them as under-rated.

Haven’t yet played Moate, but will put it on my list for next year to see what all the hoo-ha is about.

As regards Hollystown, I played it twice this year (inter-club). It’s not fantastic, but it is good value for money, unpretentious, and better value, Euro for Euro than many of the more expensive places I’ve played (hence it is under-rated, in my view).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Corballis
    Strandhill
    The Heath
    Portarlington
    Balbriggan
    Wicklow
    Woodenbridge
    Arklow
    West Waterford
    Mccreddin ( But just can't walk it)
    Greenore
    New Ross
    Courtown
    Glasson

(sorry too many)

I'd play all them for the rest of my life and - most are under 30 quid. Some near 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Beech Park and Courtown,and have no connection with either course.

My top ten is going to be based on courses not listed in any of the top 30 lists, and courses that hold opens at reasonable prices..ie 25 euro and under

In no particular order

Dundalk
    Douglas
    Connamara
    Ardglass
    Strandhill
    Royal Tara
    Naas
    Corrstown (In particular the orchard nine)
    Thurles
    Royal Tara

Royal Tara, so good he named it twice ;)

• Advertisement

Royal Tara, so good he named it twice ;)

27 holes, maybe he's counting 2 of the 18's :cool:

Played quite a bit in Royal Tara, really nice course but I played it at the start of my golfing days so not a lot of good memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

PARlance wrote: »
    27 holes, maybe he's counting 2 of the 18's :cool:

Played quite a bit in Royal Tara, really nice course but I played it at the start of my golfing days so not a lot of good memories.

One thing I always look forward to is playing a course I haven't played in years to see how it goes now that I've improved*

(* improvement not guaranteed under our warranty :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Ballina.

A course improved beyond all measure. According to members it's all down to a new head greenkeeper.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    One thing I always look forward to is playing a course I haven't played in years to see how it goes now that I've improved*

(* improvement not guaranteed under our warranty :D)

I look forward to be able to look forward to that day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I've mentioned it on boards a few times previously, but Lisburn is one of those courses that always manages to fly off the radar, yet is a wonderful parkland, with a bit of everything and 3-4 spectacularly good holes.

It's a better course than Belvoir (which always makes the top 50 or these rankings) and is up there with Clandeboye (which is always in the 60s).

Staying up north, and there's a number of courses I've played - Shandon Park, Knock, Dunmurry, Warrenpoint, Kilkeel, Spa, Tandragee, Armagh - which are every bit as good and sometimes better than the likes of Westport, Headfort Old or Dundalk (and I'm only speaking about courses towards the tail end of the 100 that I've played). Which does make me think that a spot on the Top 100 is a bit like a spot on the Irish Rugby team; once you get your foot through the door, it takes something monumental to get dislodged.

I know it's been said before, but I'd happily play any of Ireland's top 200 courses any day of the week. Well, apart from Druids Heath.

79 different golf courses have been nominated at least once so far which is really interesting and shows what a diverse group of golfers we are. Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Greenore is a nice course also... Great views...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Enniscrone
    Nairn and portnoo
    Ballinrobe
    Galway Bay
    Headford new
    Strandhill
    Roganstown
    Castle Dargan
    Greeneore
    Ardglass
    New forrest
    St. Margarets
    Balbriggan
    Claremorris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

In no particular order:

Ballybunion cashen - good to see it rising in the rankings this year. Very different from the old course but many brilliant and varied holes.

Headfort new - great course with competitive green fees.

Rathcore - another good challenge that doesn't cost the earth.

Portarlington - great choice by the boards commitee for our second outing this year. I'd prefer it to the nearby heritage.

Esker hills - the driest course in the midlands. Could be combined with Tullamore for a 36 hole outing.

Naas - really well maintained and a super back 9.

Portumna - some great holes through the forest

Gowran park - well worth a spin if you're in kilkenny

Concra Wood - great holes, great scenery and great exercise if you walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Newcastlewest
    Portarlington
    Tullamore
    Roscrea
    Portumna

• Advertisement
Advertisement