Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a fourball - Nominate your under rated golf courses here!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Dunfanaghy
    Portnoo
    Greencastle
    Portsalon
    Blessington Lakes
    Millicent
    Naas
    Ceann Sibéal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Luttrellstown
    Headfort New
    Balbriggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Castlerea, a cracking little 9 hole course in roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

best underrated in the west in no particular order - all excellent value too. pretty sure none of them charge more than €50 on any saturday in summer

ballinrobe

bearna

galway bay

portumna

gort

east clare

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. I have to catch up on the weekend nominations but keep posting as I probbaly wont have a final table ready until tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's great to see all the nominations for Tullamore, but it's far from under-rated. This year it was knocking in around 50-60th place on the Golf Digest which is a solid position for the course. I'd have it a little under 50th personally, but there are some serious courses out there that it is competing with. It's the best course in the midlands for me and that is no contest. It's position on the Golf Digest top 100 is proof of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Tramore

Played it at the weekend for the first time in 15 years and it's just as good as I remembered with the addition of another 9 holes and some slight tweaks here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Moate: Probably the most underrated course that I've never played

Good luck with picking the fourball tonight Andy.
    I'd be disappointed if you hold a fair draw, that's not the way these things are done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

idle wrote: »
    Skellig Bay in Kerry. If this course was properly maintained it would rank high up in the top 100 IMO. I don't think there are many courses on the island that match it for views and it has few if any weak holes.

Played it lately and the greens and tee boxes looked like they hadn't been mown in ages. In fact I've played there a few times in the last few years and never seen anyone working on the course. One thing against it is it seems to be wetter than most other courses.

I played it in September last year with Kiers47 and I too agree it was wetter than most courses especially at that time of year. Views are immaculate but the course is not well maintained at all. I guess being so close to Waterville they are going for cheap and cheerful rather than trying to compete.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PARlance wrote: »
    Moate: Probably the most underrated course that I've never played

Good luck with picking the fourball tonight Andy.
    I'd be disappointed if you hold a fair draw, that's not the way these things are done :D

Off topic for a min - If you're unlucky enough not to win, I'm off from the 14th if you fancy coming down for a round?

• Advertisement

40 valid entries in the draw for the fourball. Result of vote and 'raffle' will be here in a few minutes.

And the winner of the Boards.ie Golfer's MOST UNDERRATED COURSE is..............................NAAS :D

NAAS 7

ESKER HILLS 6
    BALBRIGGAN

PORTUMNA 5

CORBALLIS 4
    HEADFORT NEW
    BALLINROBE
    PORTARLINGTON
    MACREDDIN

HERITAGE 3
    TULLAMORE
    NEW FOREST
    GREENORE
    WICKLOW
    CURRAGH
    ROYAL TARA
    DROMOLAND
    ADARE
    OUGHTERARD
    LUTTRELSTOWN
    STRANDHILL

RATHCORE 2
    WEST WATERFORD
    CONCRA WOOD
    ARDGLASS
    KILLEEN
    CORRSTOWN
    GREENCASTLE
    MILLICENT
    BEAVERSTOWN
    COURTOWN
    HEATH, THE
    WOODENBRIDGE
    LISBURN
    MOATE
    BEECH PARK
    DUNDRUM
    ST MARGARETS
    DUNMURRAY SPRINGS
    GORT
    CARNE
    DUNDALK
    HERMITAGE
    SHANNON
    GOWRAN PARK
    GALWAY BAY
    KILCOCK
    TRAMORE

GREYSTONES 1
    OLD HEAD
    CORK GC
    BALLINA
    MULRANNY
    ROYAL PORTRUSH
    CLAREMORRIS
    BEARNA
    HOLLYWOOD LAKES
    MAHON
    CASTLEMARTYR
    DOONBEG
    CASTLE DARGAN
    BALTRAY
    CASTLEWARDEN
    ROSCREA
    BALLYBUNION, OLD
    LEE VALLEY
    PORTSALON
    CRUIT ISLAND
    HOLLYSTOWN
    KILLARNEY KILLEEN
    MACROOM
    MOUNT WOLSELY
    THURLES
    PORTNOO
    BALLYBUNION, CASHEN
    CONNEMARA
    DOUGLAS
    DUNGARVAN
    KNIGHTSBROOK
    NEW ROSS
    NEWCASTLEWEST
    ROGANSTOWN
    CASTLEREA
    SKELLIG BAY
    TIPPERARY
    CEANN SIBEAL
    ARKLOW
    ATHY
    CRADDOCKSTOWN
    ENNISCRONE
    GLASSON
    KILLARNEY
    BALCARRICK
    CARLOW
    MOUNT JULIET
    NAIRN / PORTNOO
    PALMERSTOWN
    PORTMARNOCK LINKS
    SLIEVE RUSSELL
    TULFARRIS
    EAST CLARE
    BUNCLODY
    DUNFANAGHY
    BLESSINGTON LAKES
    MULLINGAR
    BLAINROE
    CASTLEROCK
    DRUIDS GLEN

The rest are in order of votes and then totally randomised where tied.

and the winner of the fourball at Moate Golf Club is...................

CHALKIE 501

please PM me your name and address and I'll post the vouchers to you later in the week. **Valid Monday to Friday but for all of 2014 so no panic on using them just yet!

I'll give Chalkie 501 a couple of days to claim his prize and if he hasn't done so after say Thursday 8pm then it will go to the next one on the randomized list I saved for the draw.

Is that fair?

Unfair?

I haven't played Naas but it was top of the pile so I must try and check it out sometime. I am playing one of the runners up Esker Hills on Saturday in a society outing. Haven't actually played it since 2011 and though I've been there 5 or maybe 6 times I haven't managed a really good score there yet so here's hoping I have improved a bit.

Congrats Chalkie and fair play for organising Andy.

No PM from Chalkie claiming his prize and I honestly dont think it's up to me to chase anyone I'm trying to give a fourball to I am now offering it to the 2nd person on the list and that was

IDLE

If Idle PM's me with a name and address the fourball in Moate is theirs. This offer is open until 26th December by which time if I have not had a PM I will go to number 3 on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Please let me be No. 3

No PM from Chalkie claiming his prize and I honestly dont think it's up to me to chase anyone I'm trying to give a fourball to I am now offering it to the 2nd person on the list and that was

IDLE

If Idle PM's me with a name and address the fourball in Moate is theirs. This offer is open until 26th December by which time if I have not had a PM I will go to number 3 on the list.

With a user name such as IDLE it doesn't offer the greatest of hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

Jaysus that's abit harsh, what's the big panic about? the guy hasn't been online for a few weeks and hasn't had the opportunity to reply.
    If that's the carry on up in Moate I'll be giving the place a wide berth and I hope others will too.

Jaysus that's abit harsh, what's the big panic about? the guy hasn't been online for a few weeks and hasn't had the opportunity to reply.
    If that's the carry on up in Moate I'll be giving the place a wide berth and I hope others will too.

Ya................wn Mister.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Ya................wn Mister.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................wwwwwhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

First Xmas present in the bag, thanks Andy!

(not as idle as ye were hoping!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Relax there a small bit and that comment om moate is not called for.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Relax there a small bit and that comment om moate is not called for.
    The comment was a bit tongue in cheek, it is the internet you know, personally it's no skin off my nose, it's just a bit messy, that is all!.

The prize has now been claimed by Idle and I'm told he's looking forward to visiting Moate in 2014.

The prize has now been claimed by Idle and I'm told he's looking forward to visiting Moate in 2014.
    Nice one Andy, thanks for answering my question, I hope he enjoys he round, unlike chalkie who probably wouldn't have travelled up from sunny Killarney anyway to play.... where is it again, oh yeah Moate.

Advertisement