Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying in Kilcock

Options
  • 27-11-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a house in kilcock, in the rochford area.
    What is this area like, mixed ages of people living there, families ect? is there much anti social behaviour in this area, or in Kilcock in general.

What other nice areas are there in Kilcock to live, or places to avoid for for someone looking for peace and quite as I work nights and sleep during the days.

What are the pubs like, busy/quite, anything going on at the weekends?
    Any descent places to get lunch, dinners, take aways?
    What are the main grocery stores in the area?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

When I was buying 7 years ago I looked at Kilcock and pretty quickly dismissed it in favour of Maynooth. For me there is no comparison at all.

Have you considered other places or are you set on Kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

When I was buying 7 years ago I looked at Kilcock and pretty quickly dismissed it in favour of Maynooth. For me there is no comparison at all.

Have you considered other places or are you set on Kilcock?

I have been looking for ages in leixlip, celbridge, maynooth ect and I haven't found much to my taste that's in my budget.

I'm contemplating with castlepark, but maynooth is a lot more expensive to buy.
    Not many attractive 4 beds to be found for less then 280k in surrounding area's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always found Kilcock fine. It did not suffer as badly from the housing boom and Celbridge, Leixlip and Maynooth so cannot really be compared to them other than it is close by. There was a few estates built maybe 8-9 years ago so they should be comprised with young families at this stage. I don't recall ever seeing any anti social behaviour.
    Found the locals to be very friendly and approachable in that there is no problem chatting to strangers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a shortage of decent 4 beds in Maynooth ,it was the same when we were buying.
    Kilcock is also a lot cheaper as demand is less there and it is outside the Dublin area for transport and there are a lot less trains.
    There is a small tesco and a Lidl in Kilcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

tonic wine wrote: »
    I have been looking for ages in leixlip, celbridge, maynooth ect and I haven't found much to my taste that's in my budget.

I'm contemplating with castlepark, but maynooth is a lot more expensive to buy.
    Not many attractive 4 beds to be found for less then 280k in surrounding area's.

Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock are very expensive places to buy and whilst they are close to Dublin they are very isolated from the rest of the county in terms of public transport . Kilcock seems very quite, O ' Keeffes is a lovely pub, grub looks nice (never tried it), I like their Chinese restaurant. People are nice, there is a festival in and around the canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Thanks for all the input. Less trains and buses doesn't bother me.
    From what has been said, there is nothing really putting me off so far.

Looking into the furure, is there much for children to do around the area?
    Is there any trouble getting enrolled in the local schools, the gailscoil would be of interest.

EDIT: what is crime rate like, is there much burglaries or car theft in or around the town?
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    Kilcock is also a lot cheaper as demand is less there and it is outside the Dublin area for transport and there are a lot less trains.

Hopefully i can use this to my advantage if i decide to submit a bid on a property in kilcock.

How much would a taxi cost from kilcock to maynooth?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you have kids over 1 starting then there is little hope of a place there or in Maynooth as you kind of need to get their names down for the Gaelscoil when they are born.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you have kids over 1 starting then there is little hop of a place there or in Maynooth as you kind of need to get their names down for the Gaelscoil when they are born.

I thought that was outlawed recently where you can now only register within a year of starting school?

not yet but it will be coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I thought that was outlawed recently where you can now only register within a year of starting school?

Believe its for the ~2018 entry year onwards its banned.

• Advertisement

If you have kids over 1 starting then there is little hope of a place there or in Maynooth as you kind of need to get their names down for the Gaelscoil when they are born.

The days of putting names down for schools at birth are nearly gone. Big part of Ruairi Quinns ministry is to eradicate this.

Good cause I am the moaniest local parent about my school place issue and my extra 52km of driving a day makes me sad!

Personally I think RQ hasn't a clue how schools are run. If a school only has places for 60 infants but 72 want to get in how does he propose they the schools decide? Minister Quinn is great with soundbites but lacking in concrete/practical ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Personally I think RQ hasn't a clue how schools are run. If a school only has places for 60 infants but 72 want to get in how does he propose they the schools decide? Minister Quinn is great with soundbites but lacking in concrete/practical ideas.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

The place is full of teachers and they get an architect to run Dept of Education....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I also thinking of buying in kilcock seems like a nice area........

Advertisement