Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft plan for Mahon to go on display

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could the junctions themselves be improved/expanded to get traffic through quicker or is there no room really ... The Jacobs island side of the junction on to and off of the slips is particularly tight... The changes that were made by the entrance to the shopping centre helped but I guess if you get cars through that junction quicker the next one will snarl ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Markcheese wrote: »
    Could the junctions themselves be improved/expanded to get traffic through quicker or is there no room really ... The Jacobs island side of the junction on to and off of the slips is particularly tight... The changes that were made by the entrance to the shopping centre helped but I guess if you get cars through that junction quicker the next one will snarl ...

What could also help is different traffic light patterns for different times of day...

In the mornings there is a huge volume coming from N40, in the evenings going to N40...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

grogi wrote: »
    What could also help is different traffic light patterns for different times of day... .

Already in operation in fact. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Those slip roads were by far the best solution. I can see an appeal going in and something being done. It is quite the disaster there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

NRA tend to stick to their guns on these issues. National Route = just that, commuter and local issues tend to take a back seat. So, as long as the congestion doesn't spill over onto the South Ring itself, and block the through-flow of traffic, I wouldn't expect the NRA to be jumping with excitement about sticking in extra slip roads etc. which, being honest about it, would have safety issues re weaving lengths etc.

The whole set-up is a mess though! What about a fly-over east-west across the Mahon Point Junction? i.e. at the shopping centre/retail park traffic lights. Would at least alleviate congestion here, but can't see C/B ratio for that looking too good.

This doesn't bode well for ever improving access to/from Douglas village either, in terms of precedent, although not sure how realistic that was anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

phatmanwc wrote: »
    So, as long as the congestion doesn't spill over onto the South Ring itself, and block the through-flow of traffic,
    But apparently that is happening.

spacetweek wrote: »
    But apparently that is happening.

Indeed. There are times that traffic queues form which back onto the SRR going in both directions. Potentially very dangerous.

The NRA need a bit of cop on here. Surely they must realise that there is integration between the N40 and feeder roads which lead to the N40. Are we really living in some sort fantasy land where the NRA knows about the huge congestion in Mahon but think to themselves, not our problem.

I'd email a few of my local councillors but Laura McGonigle would suggest putting up more traffic lights as being the solution.

I wouldn't expect the NRA to be jumping with excitement about sticking in extra slip roads etc. which, being honest about it, would have safety issues re weaving lengths etc.

A new sliproad leading into Mahon which avoids the shopping centre doesn't bring any related weaving problems though.

If there is a new sliproad leading out of Mahon point, just increase the length of the slip roads. IMO, the exiting sliproads should not be done until the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade is completed. This would alleviate the problem of having to merge into queued traffic.

What kills me time and again though is the short sightedness of the NRA, engineers, Cork Co Co etc. I'm always amazed at how Bloomfield was built as a trumpet. In my mind with the idiocy of junction building at a national level, it should have been built as a grade separated roundabout.

Similarly, the Mahon interchange should have been built as a freeflow interchange. Partially unrolled cloverleafs seem to be the flavour of the month in this regard. There was plenty of space to do it at the time. Sadly, this ship has sailed.

NRA tend to stick to their guns on these issues. National Route = just that, commuter and local issues tend to take a back seat.

And of course, as part of the recent Sarsfield - Bandon roundabout upgrade, the NRA has provided direct access to the Bishopstown Court SC directly off the SRR. The hypocrisy of government in this country is staggering.

Similarly, the Mahon interchange should have been built as a freeflow interchange. Partially unrolled cloverleafs seem to be the flavour of the month in this regard. There was plenty of space to do it at the time. Sadly, this ship has sailed..

The Irony is that at the earlier stages of the build, a flyover was being prepared which would have seen the through flow traffic entering and leaving the city largely unaffected by the slip traffic into the shopping centre or retail park and acces to either via a roundabout under the flyover.

In other words all access was a left turn. But then all work stopped for what seemed like ages and when work began again the mountain the that had been made for the flyover was demolished. And the junction 'flattened'

What exactly was the outcome from Monday's Council meeting?

Pland have been approved from Mahon Point, but I'm unclear as to what exactly is happening, where is the Hotel and Offices gong?

I think Jacob's Island ~ that was the original plan.

But they also mention the overflow car park in MP Shopping Complex.

The Bessborro Bridge is cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

And of course, as part of the recent Sarsfield - Bandon roundabout upgrade, the NRA has provided direct access to the Bishopstown Court SC directly off the SRR. The hypocrisy of government in this country is staggering.

Yeah, that's a questionable decision alright. I suppose it not being on the mainline had something to do with it, but all the same...

Red Nissan wrote: »
    What exactly was the outcome from Monday's Council meeting?

Pland have been approved from Mahon Point, but I'm unclear as to what exactly is happening, where is the Hotel and Offices gong?

I think Jacob's Island ~ that was the original plan.

But they also mention the overflow car park in MP Shopping Complex.

The Bessborro Bridge is cancelled.

Whats the Bessborro Bridge ?

Bessboro Bridge, not familiar with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Center of the picture.

04fjsUf.jpg

Advertisement