Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a restaurant

Options
  • 27-11-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

There are similar threads on this but they are potentially out of date so I thought I would ask the question again. I'm hoping to get a voucher for a restaurant in Galway for a relative and need to know where is best.

I realise the question is subjective so the relative in question could be described as a food & wine snob if that helps!

After a quick Google I see there is a Michelin star restaurant in Galway called Aniar, is it as good as the Michelin star suggests?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I realise the question is subjective so the relative in question could be described as a food & wine snob if that helps!

After a quick Google I see there is a Michelin star restaurant in Galway called Aniar, is it as good as the Michelin star suggests?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Anyone I know who ate there thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I cannot recommend Kai on the Sea Road highly enough. I've eaten there three times and have been absolutely blown away by the quality of the food and the cooking, it is amazingly good value as well. Definitely my top Irish restaurant at the moment. Chapter One and Neven Maguire run it close but I really love the relaxed kiwi vibe in Kai (the chef is from New Zealand).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're likely to get more helpful replies here in the Galway City forum.

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

There are similar threads on this but they are potentially out of date so I thought I would ask the question again. I'm hoping to get a voucher for a restaurant in Galway for a relative and need to know where is best.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I believe the Michelin star chef left Aniar recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ard Bia does brunch, lunch dinner of good quality in a gorgeous building...but what may seal it for you is that a voucher could be used for dinner or a combo of say brunch and some of the foods and gourmet items that they also sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Try Kai. Fabulous food and really nice restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is recent Best restaurant - must be posh and might fit the bill for a gift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I believe the Michelin star chef left Aniar recently enough.

Stars are awarded to the restaurant, not the chef.

The original chef left Anair in the summer, the restaurant has since retained their star.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anair or Kai, they are the two best restaurants in Galway, by a distance.

I personally prefer Kai but Anair is definitely "fancier".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Anair, Kai ,Ard Bia are my favorites in that order.

The only point i will make about Anair is that while the food is superb it is a little sparse..... don't be afraid to have a big lunch earlier in the day or don't hate yourself for wanting a burger later.

But it really is proper high end dining, i thought the standards might drop when the original chef left but it's still top drawer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You really should not get vouchers.
    If a place goes bust, you generally have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Thanks for the replies folks, looks like it's a toss up between Aniar or Kai and neither will disappoint.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You really should not get vouchers.
    If a place goes bust, you generally have no comeback.

Do you know something the rest of us don't? I imagine the vouchers will be used within a month or two.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Just sounds like common sense really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Kirwans Lane and Oscars are top drawer. Especially with seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This thread is also recent / relevant: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057040885

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I know it's not Galway city but The Twelve Hotel in Barna serve amazing food. Best chowder ever. The restaurant upstairs there is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Anyone know of good early bird menus in the city at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Vina Mara
    Cactus Jacks
    Kashmir
    Kumars
    Artisan

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Yeah was considering Artisan as their early bird looked nice...havent tried vina mara either so must check it out too. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Brasserie/Blakes on Eliginton st. ma

• Advertisement
Advertisement