Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about Hamsters!

• 27-11-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I have been pining for a pet ever since I finally felt settle in my job and where I live. The only move I'll be making in the next few years is to a new apartment within a 10 mile radius of where I currently am!

A dog is not the right level of commitment for me right now, so I am looking to small furries as they do not require as much time and energy as dogs do, but still fulfill my animal lover streak!

I'm looking at all my different options, based on the fact that I am in an apartment, and because it's a rental, I need to ensure it's left in a decent state!

I owned Guinea Pigs for years, and they were so much fun! However they were quite noisy and tended to smell (hence why I have ruled out rabbits), so I am now looking at a Hamster. Could anyone tell me about them or if my motivations for wanting one are incorrect? I don't want to make any foolish mistakes. I hear they are nocturnal, need to live alone, lots of stimulation, and that's about as much as I know! I'd like to know if they are a good choice or anything I should watch for. Additionally, the best place to get a well cared for one!

I love animals so much, but couldn't promise so much time to something like a dog at this stage in my life. I just want a little furry to take care of and love, but I can't commit 2-3 walks a day! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ok basically you have 2 main types of hamster sold as pets.

Syrian Hamster (sometimes called Teddy Bear Hamsters)

Large strong hamster that are solitary. They will kill or seriously injure any hamster invading their space. They come in a variety of colours & also in a very cute long haired type.
    They need much larger cages then most pet shops sell. They live to 2 - 3 years of age. They eat decent quality hamster food plus a small amount of veg, fruit. They need animal protein in their diet. They have cheek pouches & fill them with goodies or bedding to hide in their secret lair. For that reason they should only have a small amount of fresh food at a time
    They can become very tame with regular handling especially the males.

Dwarf Hamsters - These are divided into several sub groups & even crosses of these. They are very small & cute & also come in a variety of colours. They are very social & can be kept in same sex groups. If they are a pair the male will help with the babies. They have a similar lifespan to the Syrians but tend to be more temperamental. Their diet is slightly different in that they are prone to diabetes so I never gave mine sugary food such as fruit or the treats you buy in a petshop.

Hamsters are very clean & there should be no smell if you clean them out properly. I use pellet bedding for mine. They are provided with kitchen or toilet roll to shred for their nest. The stuff sold in petshops is not suitable as it can wrap around their feet or block their digestive system. They make lovely endearing pets but are nocturnal. The Syrians in particular can be very noisy at night. We have padlocks on her cage to keep her in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Knine wrote: »
    Ok basically you have 2 main types of hamster sold as pets.

Syrian Hamster (sometimes called Teddy Bear Hamsters)

Large strong hamster that are solitary. They will kill or seriously injure any hamster invading their space. They come in a variety of colours & also in a very cute long haired type.
    They need much larger cages then most pet shops sell. They live to 2 - 3 years of age. They eat decent quality hamster food plus a small amount of veg, fruit. They need animal protein in their diet. They have cheek pouches & fill them with goodies or bedding to hide in their secret lair. For that reason they should only have a small amount of fresh food at a time
    They can become very tame with regular handling especially the males.

Dwarf Hamsters - These are divided into several sub groups & even crosses of these. They are very small & cute & also come in a variety of colours. They are very social & can be kept in same sex groups. If they are a pair the male will help with the babies. They have a similar lifespan to the Syrians but tend to be more temperamental. Their diet is slightly different in that they are prone to diabetes so I never gave mine sugary food such as fruit or the treats you buy in a petshop.

Hamsters are very clean & there should be no smell if you clean them out properly. I use pellet bedding for mine. They are provided with kitchen or toilet roll to shred for their nest. The stuff sold in petshops is not suitable as it can wrap around their feet or block their digestive system. They make lovely endearing pets but are nocturnal. The Syrians in particular can be very noisy at night. We have padlocks on her cage to keep her in it.

Thank you! Looks like it is off the cards for now as I just spoke with our estate agents who have said that no pets are allowed in any apartment in our building :( Has anyone come across this before? I know that most places don't allow pets, but will usually allow small furries or fish. I think these guys are following the letter of the law!

I'll wait it out until my lease is up next year. Last thing I want is a wee furry being rehomed because I didn't obey the rules :)

I think the Syrian would be the one for me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Thank you! Looks like it is off the cards for now as I just spoke with our estate agents who have said that no pets are allowed in any apartment in our building :( Has anyone come across this before? I know that most places don't allow pets, but will usually allow small furries or fish. I think these guys are following the letter of the law!

I'll wait it out until my lease is up next year. Last thing I want is a wee furry being rehomed because I didn't obey the rules :)

I think the Syrian would be the one for me though!

Are you in contact with your landlord? They might prefer to allow you a small pet rather then you leaving when your lease is up?

Knine wrote: »
    Are you in contact with your landlord? They might prefer to allow you a small pet rather then you leaving when your lease is up?

Well, they are an estate agent. It's a large apartment complex in South Dublin which I'd imagine they would have no problem filling again, and lease isn't up until August of next year. I have mailed them to say that I totally appreciate their concern with having pets (I have rented with dogs before, and my parents are landlords) and as a result I would be willing to pay a small pet deposit, due to the fact that it is a hamster and highly unlikely to do any damage. It appears to be the apartment block management company that impose this restriction, and not my landlord personally!

Well, the estate agent agreed to allow a Hamster. My two housemates however, not so enthralled! :(

I'll have to wait until my lease is up and I move... What a pity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement