Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stop using Baby Monitor now?

Options
  • 27-11-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

My son is nearly 2.5 years old and up until now have always used the baby monitor as when he woke he would sit on his bed and cry for one of us.
    But now when he wakes up, he just gets out of his bed and comes into us.
    Is it time to turn it off??
    When did others turn theirs off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My daughter is just a couple of months older and I genuinely can't remember when I stopped using the monitor - it was over a year ago, I think. If she's very upset, I tend to hear her no matter where I am in the house. If she's just having a bit of a grumble or a sing-song, she tends to go back to sleep by herself more easily than when I used to see the monitor light up and go into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

My son is 16 months and our monitor stopped working about 2 months ago.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used it when they were small babies and I was upstairs and they were down or vice versa but that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

I still use mine with my three year old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

My 5 yr old & 3 yr old share a room and we still use a monitor. Its just to make life easier instead of guessing if one of them is awake plus you get about 20 seconds warning if anyone is coming into the bedroom :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter is 19 months and I just stopped using it at night. We use it when she goes to bed and we are down stairs but when we go to bed we turn it off. She is in her own bed in her own room and we leave both our door and hers slightly ajar so she can come in to us. If she is really upset I would hear her (eg loses raggy sometimes at night)
    It saves waking me every time she is just mooching about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I found that the baby monitor was the biggest wastes of money of all the baby stuff I bought. We live in an apartment so we would hear him ourselves before we would hear the monitor. I used it a couple of times in the summer when would would be sitting outside at night, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We used ours until 10 months old. His room is right bside ours so I can hear him even turn over at night. If we were downstairs we could still easily hear him wake & go to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We used it for 6 months on the 5 year old, never on the 4 year old and well the almost 2 year old co-sleeps so we never got one for her either. Some people need the feeling of security they give, so if you want to keep using it do, it's not doing any harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We use the noise monitor when downstairs for our 9 month old but not at night as baby is next door. We have an Angle Care monitor for sudden infant death and that is always on when baby is in cot. It just gives me such peace of mind that the sensor is there. It's never gone off thank god but helps me sleep easier at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

As do we.

We have a monitor with video and I get great comfort from being able to hear her breathing and see that she's ok.

If she got into any kind of difficulties I'd like to know about it immediately.

At some point we'll have to consider removing it in order to give her some privacy. But not yet.

ms_wobbly wrote: »
    I still use mine with my three year old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

used the video monitor until the plug got bent and it stopped charging (probably had it for 15 months or so). Was great to see what babba was up to, and also to check the temperature in the room.

Got the same model again for babba no. 2, just for that added sense of security (and to decide whether it's worth getting up for or not...;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I find it great still for my 16mth old. When he wakes from a nap he normally just starts chatting and I wouldn't hear that down in the kitchen so it gives me a few minutes to wrap up what I'm doing before getting him.

Also we are both deep sleepers and the monitor magnifies the sound so we are sure to wake if he is crying. We keep the doors closed to keep cats out etc.

My sis still uses it for her 4.5yr old but I think it's become a sort of "pager system" when her daughter wants something. There is a talk back function so she can just tell her to go back to sleep.

Advertisement