Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks opening left, right and centre!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

haro124 wrote: »
    The stores are no longer owned by Starbucks but by the people who own the TGIF licence in Ireland and a few other chains

That's always been the case in Ireland.

None of the Irish shops were controlled by Starbucks directly.

It's the same for everywhere outside of the north west of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Seaneh wrote: »

No, most are company owned, up until last year most stores in Ireland were company owned but they ended up giving them to the licensee
    http://www.starbucks.ie/coffeehouse/news

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm glad this thread exists to tell us that if we like the way Starbucks make their coffee (or add milk/sugar to it) that it's not in fact good and our tastebuds are inferior.

And that if you enjoy their comfortable seats to chill out and read a book or chat to a mate, you are a bad person because you cannot recognise that these places are all soulless.

Although I don't frequent Starbucks all that often, they have good quality coffee that a lot of people enjoy. Not everyone wants a single producer espresso, and Starbucks must get credit for serving filter coffee and not making you feel like a peasant for liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seaneh wrote: »

As shown, that wasn't the case here but it also isn't the case "everywhere outside the north west of the US" either. In fact, outside of the US they have sod all franchises and have only started doing it recently:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304607104579209971318755960

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

One thing I'm not mad about on the more recently opened outlets, the interiors seem far more bland and uncomfortable and do not have the same vibe that encourage you to linger. The older ones like in CHQ and College Green etc were more similar to the American outlets (kind of like Central Perk cafe in Friends atmosphere) cosy with lots of sofas and comfy armchairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

EyeSight wrote: »
    I don't get all the hate for starbucks.
    Sure their coffee isn't great but they do those coffee shake things and frappees really really well and that's something most independent places don't do well(if they do it at all). You may not like those(i don't) but guess what? Load of people love them and want them. If people want to buy them they can and will - Free market

Secondly they are a reliable place all over. They are usually open late and always have free wifi. If i am in a foreign country and need wifi, i'll go there

i always use independent chains where i can, sometimes it's hard to find one with wifi and free seating that's open late. But i won't moan when people use starbucks. Besides, as mentioned earlier in this thread, they're advertising for coffee also benefits independent chains

Yea. Basically what your saying is that they're the McDonalds of coffee, which s fine. People like knowing that its the same experience. The fact is that they cluster areas and saturate the coffee market so that its very hard to compete with them.

I find them quite expensive to be honest but I'd get a coffee there the odd time.

ongarboy wrote: »
    One thing I'm not mad about on the more recently opened outlets, the interiors seem far more bland and uncomfortable and do not have the same vibe that encourage you to linger. The older ones like in CHQ and College Green etc were more similar to the American outlets (kind of like Central Perk cafe in Friends atmosphere) cosy with lots of sofas and comfy armchairs.
    The new one on o'Connell street basically feels like a fast food restaurant with its interior. They've also stopped doing the reserve coffees in college green

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm glad this thread exists to tell us that if we like the way Starbucks make their coffee (or add milk/sugar to it) that it's not in fact good and our tastebuds are inferior.

And that if you enjoy their comfortable seats to chill out and read a book or chat to a mate, you are a bad person because you cannot recognise that these places are all soulless.

Although I don't frequent Starbucks all that often, they have good quality coffee that a lot of people enjoy. Not everyone wants a single producer espresso, and Starbucks must get credit for serving filter coffee and not making you feel like a peasant for liking it.

Bravo. Very well said. There is a fierce, shockin' awful (as me tae drinking mammy used to say :p ) snobbery displayed by some coffee purists. I do not like strong coffee, or espresso coffee. It is just too bitter for my taste buds. I only ever pay for coffee if I am out & I am in dire need of a caffine injection. So I rarely get coffee in places like Starbucks, but when I do, their coffee drinks hit the spot perfectly. If I am a soul less drone for liking my coffee in the form of venti caramel macchiatos, then so be it.

I do agree that most of them are seriously lacking in atmosphere. But perhaps that is intentional. You don't make money from people paying a couple of quid for a cup of coffee and hogging your tables and sofas for hours on end. Bewleys found that out the hard way.

So supposedly they've opened another store in Temple Bar in the last few days! :eek: Anyone seen it ?

I wasn't aware of one in Temple Bar cafe until you posted about it just now. Just googled it here and someone's review of it popped up - it's in Crown Alley. It's almost like one a week is opening now. Forbes magazine just voted Ireland as best place to do business for the first time. Maybe Starbucks knows something that the rest of us don't??:)

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/starbucks-dublin-36

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of one in Temple Bar cafe until you posted about it just now. Just googled it here and someone's review of it popped up - it's in Crown Alley. It's almost like one a week is opening now. Forbes magazine just voted Ireland as best place to do business for the first time. Maybe Starbucks knows something that the rest of us don't??:)

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/starbucks-dublin-36
    Dublin soon ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

The Simpsons said it best years ago...

simpsons_starbucks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

haro124 wrote: »
    So supposedly they've opened another store in Temple Bar in the last few days! :eek: Anyone seen it ?

Was in there today, all I will say is beware of the unstable tables :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I dont like US companies that pay their workers a fair wage in the US, with free health insurance and other benefits. But then they open in Europe and charge a higher price and pay their workers the minimum wage,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We can't even get ONE in a Limerick! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They don't pay any tax Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I like the one in CHQ, and the staff are generally very pleasant. I was in N.Y.just once some years ago, before Starbucks was in Ireland, and I loved it over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

ezra_pound wrote: »

I find them quite expensive to be honest but I'd get a coffee there the odd time.

Same here, I think they are quite pricey now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

LOL, the next one will be in the former Anglo Irish HQ! Talk about domination

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/coffee-giant-starbucks-to-open-at-former-anglo-irish-bank-hq-29861666.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

WikiHow wrote: »
    They don't pay any tax Joe.

yeah, agree the whole tax debacle kinda helps them expand aggressively too

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a good economic sign if Starbucks are expanding again following all the stores they closed down a few years ago. Pity that they don't seem to be expanding outside Dublin though.

Personally, I kinda like Starbucks. Their coffee is OK, but more importantly, it's consistent. I'm tired of trying latest Indy coffee shop, only to get an over-roasted, over-extracted brew.

Dublin is demonstrating right now that there's plenty of room for both models, which is a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

+1. I think the variation in quality between independent coffee shops and brand chains is seriously exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ohmydays83

When I go into Starbucks, I always get a hot chocolate! Yum :)

Relaxing atmosphere there I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Not a fan of the seating in Starbucks as you are closer to the person at the next table than to the person at your table.

Starbucks is more about the frappes and crap. I only have espresso which unfortunately can be so hit and miss in any café. Coffee Angel do great espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I only have espresso which unfortunately can be so hit and miss in any café. Coffee Angel do great espresso.

Also, whenever I order espresso in Starbucks, I feel so alone with my mini-cup compared to everybody else's gallon-sized drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Not a fan of the seating in Starbucks as you are closer to the person at the next table than to the person at your table.

Starbucks is more about the frappes and crap. I only have espresso which unfortunately can be so hit and miss in any café. Coffee Angel do great espresso.

i find starbucks usually have more space than most coffee shops. I hate finding a great coffee place that doesn't have many seats :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Aard wrote: »
    Also, whenever I order espresso in Starbucks, I feel so alone with my mini-cup compared to everybody else's gallon-sized drinks!

Is that a metaphor for something else Aard? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Is that a metaphor for something else Aard? ;)

Ha yes I only visit indie coffee shops, as it validates my manliness :P

Another one just opened in Waterloo Road off Baggot Street and it was in the news that the ground floor of the old Anglo HQ on Stephens Green is to be turned into a Starbucks too. At this rate, Dublin will have 50 Starbucks by the end of the year!

• Advertisement

And now a second one on O'Connell St! Was crossing the river yesterday evening and saw new Starbucks signage on the corner building of O'Connell St and Bachelors Walk ( I think there was another short lived cafe in there previously). Is there really a need for yet another Starbucks so close to all the others in that area?

PS - I remember when that unit was a Zerep shoe store years ago!

Advertisement