Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter Christmas Gift for 13yr old

• 27-11-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I have 2 13yr old boys on my Christmas gift list, and thought I might try and get them a start up kit for basic circuitry/programming/prototyping.
    As you can probably guess I'm not too knowledgeable in this area.

I saw basically wondering if people thought I should get them an Arduino kit or a Raspberry Pi kit. Looking to spend €60-80 each. Raspberry Pi seems more expensive but at least if they don't use it for what I intended, they can always use it to just stream media with Xbmc very easily.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

For circuitry/programming/prototyping an arduino is by far the best way to go. By far!

The most important thing for them when starting out is that it will be interesting with good instructions that they can then build on. I would (and have on here before) highly recommend this kit

You will find cheaper kits with more stuff on ebay but without the proper guidance and support its nothing but a pile of bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Chet T16 wrote: »
    For circuitry/programming/prototyping an arduino is by far the best way to go. By far!

The most important thing for them when starting out is that it will be interesting with good instructions that they can then build on. I would (and have on here before) highly recommend this kit

You will find cheaper kits with more stuff on ebay but without the proper guidance and support its nothing but a pile of bits.

I bought that kit last year to give me a grounding (bad-ump-tish!) in electronics and it's a brilliant kit. My 10 year old daughter is now using it and loves it too. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would be inclined to get one of each ....... Arduino and Pi

If they can cooperate they both would have the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I bought that kit last year to give me a grounding (bad-ump-tish!) in electronics and it's a brilliant kit. My 10 year old daughter is now using it and loves it too. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I absolutely love hearing about kids getting interested in things like this, or even just been given the opportunity. I hope i can get my two involved when they're bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

At the age of 12 I was given a Ladybird book called Making a Transistor Radio. Mapped my entire future :) The Raspberry Pi of 1978 ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Also for a general intro to general electronics Make: Electronics is excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ZENER wrote: »
    At the age of 12 I was given a Ladybird book called Making a Transistor Radio. Mapped my entire future :) The Raspberry Pi of 1978 ?

Ken

In the early 80s I gave my two nephews big plastic (read cheap) fire engine and truck, that I had 'doctored' with flashing LEDs and sirens - battery powered. (yes in deference to their mother I added an on/off switch :) )

One of them became an electronic engineer and the other an accountant ....... :D:D:D:D ....... maybe I had more influence than I thought ..... :D

Advertisement